• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
cricinfo said:
Welcome back everyone. Stop looking at MyFace, YouBook, Twatter or whatever the kids are using these days and stay glued to us. Will here. England on top by quite some considerable margin, and Johnson continues to bowl with worrying, head-scratchingly confusing inadequacy.
Cricinfo shamelessly stealing lines from Rhys Darby.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is such a poor Australian team. It's a pretty weak England side, but wow. Just a terrible Aussie unit.

The thing that bothers me - being old enough to remember the dim, dark 80s - is that the current lot don't seem to know how to scratch, claw and fight. Our bowling 'attack' is young and inexperienced. To some extent, they can be forgiven (where the hell is the bowling coach????????) but our batsmen, in that first innings (Ponting aside - good ball and out lbw seeing as he didn't actually hit it :D) - were just insipid. :@

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cook gets out lbw playing across his front pad just after the break, after seeing off the new ball. Some things never change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suppose what I'm disputing is this, TBH - in terms of said technique's effectiveness, anyway. He looks a lot more 'proper' than Cook and Trescothick but they get through the new ball a lot more often than he does, and he takes advantage of the old ball a lot better often than they do.
I don't think they do. It's not easy to prove this with any form of stats - new-balls don't always last the same amount of time - and what's more it's since the summer of 2008 that counts, not 2007 or 2006 because he was often very poor in those calendar-years.

If anything you could do with a balls-faced-per-innings thing for Strauss since then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
270-1 then. If we collapse like we did in the first dig then Aus will be chasing about 470...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, visually it seems that way, yet he bats so much better once the ball is older. Now it's possible that this is simply a case of Strauss being more comparatively vulnerable once set than 99% of batsmen in Test history, but somehow I don't think that's the case, particularly given it didn't really happen at First Class level. Everyone can see that the guy has problems keeping out the full, swinging ball and this would obviously have less impact against him if he was batting three.

Strauss gets out for less than 50 whilst opening a staggering 73% of the time. Trescothick does so 69% of the time and Cook just 63%. It's just too many failures from someone whose secondary role after the obvious "score as many runs as possible" is protecting the upper middle order from the new ball. Yet, despite this, he averages the most of three as his concentration against the older ball is awesome.
Where do you get these statistics from, the percentages? Do you have a site or do you just collect the information from Cricinfo or something then sort out the averages yourself?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where do you get these statistics from, the percentages? Do you have a site or do you just collect the information from Cricinfo or something then sort out the averages yourself?
This.

My posts on Cricket Web definitely have their faults, but I like to think they are well-researched even if nothing else. :)