• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Stapel

International Regular
When you look at how Cardiff has played, Panesar's form, the weather, etc it's nothing more than a massive hail mary that's been thrown by the English selectors
I agree. So far, we cannot even be sure this pitch will be a spinner's paradise. And even if it will turn out to be so, picking Monty is a gamble.

I guess Swann will take a few, whereas Monty will leak runs. Easy stuff for the 2nd test then...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson > Hilfenhaus
Broad < Johnson
Flintoff > Siddle
Swann > Hauritz
Panesar > North / Katich / Clarke

On the other hand, from a batting perspective:

Prior = North
Flintoff < Haddin
Broad < Johnson

The Aussies are going to have to hope their deeper batting compensates for fielding what looks like a pretty filthy bowling attack.
I think your analysis of the bowling is debatable at best.

Although, you may be right in 5 days time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd be more surprised if they'd picked the best possible combo.

And I love how the British national anthem of GSTQ still counts as English. Why couldn't someone have arranged for LOHAG to be added to the Welsh anthem?
Why does Wales even have an anthem? It's not even a real country.. Imagine if this was at Lords, would be infinitely better

Son Of Coco

Sheesh I hope the opening over contains something as nondescript as possible. Just so's we don't have to put-up with yet more "the first over set the tone" nonsense.

Now this anthems nonsense. Whose idea was it to have these at cricket matches. 8-)
I hope one of the batsmen gets knocked out to be honest :happy:

Even if they just run into each other.

pasag

RTDAS
Replace Manou with Haddin and you'd get the wost possible XI for this game.

In other news, MacGill is having an absolute shocker as a presenter. Great for special comments and all, but should really have professionals doing the anchoring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does Wales even have an anthem? It's not even a real country.. Imagine if this was at Lords, would be infinitely better
Same could be said about England, in fact... all divisions of the UK have their own anthem (except England), which has its own, in GSTQ.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Replace Manou with Haddin and you'd get the wost possible XI for this game.

In other news, MacGill is having an absolute shocker as a presenter. Great for special comments and all, but should really have professionals doing the anchoring.

Sar-Fire lol

Jakester1288

International Regular
England should win this test. Better spinners, pretty good bowling attack, nearly as good as ours.

I've never liked Hilfenhaus, but geez picking him ahead of Clark is terrible.

I predicted England to win this test a few weeks ago TBH, isn't looking bad now we have selected a relatively bad team and England have won the toss and are batting on a pitch that will take more and more turn as the game goes on. With 2 spinners in the England team, for Australia this looks gloomy.

Still, PUMPED!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brave decision for the selectors to back the team that won in SA (minus McDonald). I'm betting Clark didn't pull up that well from the warm-ups leaving Hilf the only choice.

Not disastrous, for mine. If he gets his length right, reckon Hilf will bowl well on the deck as it stands.

EDIT: James, stop spamming the forum.

Scaly piscine

I'll be very surprised if this match is decided by spin, aside from the one good spin bowler Swann having an influence.

This is Cardiff. You are bound to get periods of cloud cover and rain juicing things up. The ball will reverse. The new ball will always do a bit.

Piss poor spin bowlers aren't going to outdo quality seam bowlers 99% of the time in this scenario.