• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Word. That argument is a basically hindsight. Lee had to show he was in form in the warm-ups, it was his test trail. Even he didn't take 6, all the people who where questioning him, would still be on case.
True. If he didn't play in those 2 warm-ups, well, people on here would still be criticising him but he'd be playing on Wednesday. IMO, it was unwarranted pressure, from the media, especially journos like Dorries, who would write a long-arsed article about Lee 'failing' every chance he got. Lee tried too hard and paid the price and with CA allowing that crap, bowing to pressure from the media when they should've known better.
And after his performance in the Eng Lions match, we realised he didn't have to prove anything to anybody, least of all the media and the flock of sheep who follow whatever the media says and believe it to be the gospel.

He should've played in the one warm-up. Let the critics keep yapping, choose him in the the 1st test anyway, let them keep yapping about choosing him and then we'd have him bowling that reverse swing at Cardiff and shutting the critics up then.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Reckon you Aussies would be better off doing a NZ and Grant Elliot and bringing up the Aussie from Ilkley. Bowls some nice cutters, would get smashed ect.

Reckon Cook and Stauss will be breathing a sigh of relief now. If Siddle does open the bowling with Johnson, I can imagine him being a lot more pleasant to face than Lee. No disrespect to Siddle though, I just reckon Lee would be one of the last bowlers I'd want to face in international cricket.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
True. If he didn't play in those 2 warm-ups, well, people on here would still be criticising him but he'd be playing on Wednesday. IMO, it was unwarranted pressure, from the media, especially journos like Dorries, who would write a long-arsed article about Lee 'failing' every chance he got. Lee tried too hard and paid the price and with CA allowing that crap, bowing to pressure from the media when they should've known better.
And after his performance in the Eng Lions match, we realised he didn't have to prove anything to anybody, least of all the media and the flock of sheep who follow whatever the media says and believe it to be the gospel.

He should've played in the one warm-up. Let the critics keep yapping, choose him in the the 1st test anyway, let them keep yapping about choosing him and then we'd have him bowling that reverse swing at Cardiff and shutting the critics up then.
Word out. Lee has been playing test cricket for almost 10 years, even if he was injured & always needed some FC cricket. You dont suddenly forget how to bowl.

This situation reminds be of how McGrath was treated between the WI 03 to SRI 04. Stupid outside criticism, they actually threatened to pull the curtains of Pigeon's career haha. Oh these selectors have done it now...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think there's any need to fly in cover just yet, surely Hilfenhaus and McDonald are enough fast bowling cover?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well yeah...but I don't feel Ponting especially trusts Hilfenhaus and probably not Hauritz as well.

And Bollinger deserves another go and has been in apparantly fine form.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Word out. Lee has been playing test cricket for almost 10 years, even if he was injured & always needed some FC cricket. You dont suddenly forget how to bowl.

This situation reminds be of how McGrath was treated between the WI 03 to SRI 04. Stupid outside criticism, they actually threatened to pull the curtains of Pigeon's career haha. Oh these selectors have done it now...
Urm, it looked like he had forgotten how to bowl in the last year and that's why his spot wasnt guaranteed

In short, he HAD to perform in the warmup games

What he didnt have to do was bust a gut once he'd proven his fitness and form

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I feel sorry for Lee.he is of the few good guys and he worked really hard to get back into the team before the Ashes and this is a very cruel blow.hope he can play in the final 3 matches as this might be his last Ashes series.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Starting to get worried about England batting first at Cardiff, think they might end up being over aggressive and get skittled for 180 or so

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Kinda hoping that we lose the toss and bowl. Australia haven't bowled first in the opening innings of the Ashes for as long as I can simultaneously remember and care. Think we did in 2001, though.

Clark to take the first Michelle in a '**** you for ever doubting me' pseudo-McGrath spell.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starting to get worried about England batting first at Cardiff, think they might end up being over aggressive and get skittled for 180 or so
Worry about that any time England coming into bat to be honest. My biggest fear for this match is that we get obsessed with spin and they both go for over 100 with a couple of wickets between them.

inbox24

International Debutant
Definitely, it's no joke. I sincerely hope you're right and they pick that team at Cardiff.