• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Keith Miller
Harold Larwood

About a dozen others worthy of the final spot. Extend both lists to 50? :p

bagapath

International Captain
i've been planning to do a poll for great allrounders for sometime. even started a thread. decided to wait for other polls to get over. will start it eventually.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Top 25 as per ICC rankings

I don't know how much credence one should place by them (not much I suspect; insert your own "Harmison used to be ranked number 1" reference here), but I thought it might be diverting to compare our nearly complete 25 with theirs. (Linky)

1. 932 S.F. Barnes ENG
2. 931 G.A. Lohmann ENG
3. 922 Imran Khan PAK
4. 920 M. Muralitharan SL
5. 914 G.D. McGrath AUS
6. 912 G.A.R. Lock ENG
6. 912 C.E.L. Ambrose WI
8. 911 I.T. Botham ENG
9. 910 M.D. Marshall WI
10. 909 S.M. Pollock SA
10. 909 Waqar Younis PAK
10. 909 R.J. Hadlee NZ
13. 908 A.K. Davidson AUS
14. 907 D.L. Underwood ENG
15. 905 S.K. Warne AUS
16. 903 A.V. Bedser ENG
17. 901 W.J. O'Reilly AUS
17. 901 C.V. Grimmett AUS
19. 900 W.A. Johnston AUS
20. 898 F.S. Trueman ENG
20. 898 W.W. Hall WI
22. 897 R.R. Lindwall AUS
22. 897 L.R. Gibbs WI
22. 897 J.C. Laker ENG
22. 897 D.W. Steyn SA

Bowlers excluded from our list in bold.

Obviously we're voting across a bowler's career and the rankings measure their highest peak, but some surprising names there. Wouldn't have guessed Lock as the highest ranked omission and Bill Johnston, I think I'm right in saying, hasn't received a single mention. Possibly overshadowed by his illustrious peers in The Invincibles. Also interesting to note that ol' Deadly Derek's career peak was higher than any of the great triumverate of Aussie leggies. Something to be said for the more prosiac charms of SLA after all.

Botham and Bedser, both of whom have had their advocates, perhaps more guessable exclusions.

Not an Indian in the list, which is slightly surprising, but then I think there are a similar number on our list too.

Also the bowlers who are missing from their list is surprising: no Lillee(!!!), Donald, Roberts or Holding to name but four.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Although I voted for Bedser and Miller, I won't be too unhappy if Walsh or Larwood wins it...Also, there is no surprise that no Indians made the list (I didn't vote for any, too), but interestingly many would have been among the next 25 if we extended the list (Kapil, Kumble, Bedi, Prasanna, Chandra, Gupte for sure...Nissar and Amar Singh would also have been selected I think)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Although I voted for Bedser and Miller, I won't be too unhappy if Walsh or Larwood wins it...Also, there is no surprise that no Indians made the list (I didn't vote for any, too), but interestingly many would have been among the next 25 if we extended the list (Kapil, Kumble, Bedi, Prasanna, Chandra, Gupte for sure...Nissar and Amar Singh would also have been selected I think)
No way. Doubt the Top 50 would have more then 3 Indians in it.

adharcric

International Coach
CW's Ranking of the Top 25 Bowlers of All-Time

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Sydney Barnes
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Curtly Ambrose
5. Richard Hadlee
6. Muttiah Muralitharan
7. Shane Warne
8. Dennis Lillee
9. Imran Khan
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Wasim Akram
12. Fred Trueman
13. Waqar Younis
14. Joel Garner
15. Ray Lindwall
16. Jim Laker
17. Michael Holding
18. Fred Spofforth
19. Allan Donald
20. Clarrie Grimmett
21. George Lohmann
22. Alan Davidson
23. Andy Roberts
24. Shaun Pollock
25. Keith Miller

Five spinners is definitely an improvement over the previous edition. Trueman and Spofforth dropped several places and Murali couldn't hold on to his #2 spot.

Thoughts on the results?

bagapath

International Captain
happy with everything except the last place. there are a few more greater bowlers than nuggets. and may be, just maybe, ambrose is too high. but pretty happy with everything else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The List
1. Malcolm Marshall (WI)
2. Muttiah Muralitharan (SRI)
3. Glenn McGrath (AUS)
4. Curtly Ambrose (WI)
5. Richard Hadlee (NZ)
6. Shane Warne (AUS)
7. Fred Trueman (ENG)
8. Dennis Lillee (AUS)
9. Sydney Barnes (ENG)