• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyone on here rate Tayte Pears? I really think we have a 200 game player there.
Certainly got talent. Will be a good player. Got some real troubles down back without Ryder and was oh so predictable that Brown would run riot.

Lucas is about done. Is in terrible form and has to go back to bendigo and it is not just his numbers that is worrying. He is dropping easy marks, losing his feet everytime he flys in a contest and spoiling his teammates. At the moment he is a liabilty and Essendon cant afford that in the forward line at the moment.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Still really pleased with how Barnam and Beams are going so far
Beams has been good but Barham has some real issues IMO. He can not kick and that is putting it nicely. Wont last on an AFL list unless he can improve that significantly.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he needs to improve that part of his game, but even if he never becomes a great kick, if he can maintain the workrate and pressure he creates, and can at least become a decent quick handball, he will be a definite plus in the team. We have some pretty good kicks already, eg. Davis, Swan, Lockyer. But agree he needs to work on it as its the big weakness at the moment.

Can I also just say how pleased I am to see how well Rhys Shaw is doing at Sydney. I told people at the time that Sydney had got the deal of the draft as Rhys more than anything needed a change of club and town. Always thought he was unfairly maligned in the last few years at Collingwood - amazing what stinking up a grandfinal does to people's perception of you.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Can I also just say how pleased I am to see how well Rhys Shaw is doing at Sydney. I told people at the time that Sydney had got the deal of the draft as Rhys more than anything needed a change of club and town. Always thought he was unfairly maligned in the last few years at Collingwood - amazing what stinking up a grandfinal does to people's perception of you.
So agree with this. He's been absolutely gun this year. He's been exactly what we've needed the last year or so. A guy with blistering pace off half back to get us out of there quickly. To think there were Swans fans howling at picking him up even though we got him for next to nothing.

And he can't kick, so he fits in perfectly at the Swans.

cameeel

International Captain
Code:
[B][U]CW Tipping '09 - Round 6[/U][/B]

Simon - 34
James90 - 32
SuperKD - 32
Sam_Vimes - 32
Voltman - 32
Jono - 32
Clapo - 31
Pasag - 31
BoyBrumby - 31
Cameeel - 30
Ausage - 30
Alternative - 30
Sir B.I - 30
DCYE - 29
Heath DS - 27
Josh - 26
MikeW - 26
NewZT - 26
Vic_Orthodox - 26
Howardj - 25
Hoggy - 23
. Simon extends his lead to two points at the top of the table

. A perfect round from James90 jumps him several places to second

. 8/8 by Clapo and James90

. Vic_Orthodox tips a 7 to move off the bottom of the ladder for the first time

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's quite funny watching the guys who you know aren't allowed to kick, unless they have to, play games of footy. Case in point: Clinton Jones. Watch him next time you see St. Kilda, every time he gets the ball he props, looks backwards for an option to kick for him because he turns it over by foot.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Just wish Dean Laidley would implement something similiar. Our players who can't kick are encouraged to kick it more.
Missing Smith, Wells and Harvey and to a lesser extent Anthony doesn't help, pressure on blokes like Power to hit 15-20 targets a game and they can't cope.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I blame Grant Thomas for Richo's condition tbh.

Although Thomas offering to break Craig Hutchence's jaw last night on Footy Classified almost endeared Grant to me. Hate that turd with a passion.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's quite funny watching the guys who you know aren't allowed to kick, unless they have to, play games of footy. Case in point: Clinton Jones. Watch him next time you see St. Kilda, every time he gets the ball he props, looks backwards for an option to kick for him because he turns it over by foot.
The sad thing is he has improved significantly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The sad thing is he has improved significantly.
He's gotten used to the requirements more than anything else. You wouldn't have ever questioned his committment or courage, he has just adjusted his game to AFL level.

It's like Mark McGough. The guy could be a "game-breaker" at VFL level, but never realised that even if he had 24 touches at the AFL, he wouldn't damage sides enough with those stats. He had to use those touches to get the ball in the hands of those who could do damage.

Jones is making the transition from being a star at WAFL, to being an asset at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.