• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Howsie

International Captain
Amen.

EDIT: (to Howsie) Also, who would Williamson replace? He hasn't batted three for ND yet, so not Flynn. Franklin? OK, four bowlers in SL, hope they don't get injured. Push Flynn, Taylor and Ryder up one spot and slot him at five? Flynn ain't an opener, Taylor ain't a number three. Ryder could work at four, but thats about it.
Ummm... Williamson has batted at three. That's where he has played most of his carrer. But I would play him at six.

1.?
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Williamson
7.McCullum
8.Vettori
9.Patel
10.O'Brien
11.Martin

Four Bowlers, and Ryder and Williamson can also bowl.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Batting out of position and being told your bowling is not your best asset by everyone and their dog tends to do that.

Tell Franklin to forget about batting, put him down and number 9 and tell him to bowl, which has got him to test level and what has got him success. Concentrate on bowling ffs, I'm not even sure Franklin knows what he is anymore.

Extremely unlucky in the other test too, got plenty of nicks from the Indian batsmen.
Think that's the main problem actually - apparently describes himself as a batsman who bowls.

Someone please tell him he's a bowler!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh, if some random bowler or batsman does well in the final, they'll probably go to SL. I can see it happening, especially if they're called Sinclair, Raval or McClennaghan
Hmmm, so Lance Shaw will be going to Sri Lanka at this rate...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The fact of the matter, and this is agreed on as being true by all cricket followers, is that bad decisions even out as long as you have neutral umpires.
That's just not true. I don't know who agrees with that. Even if the raw numbers even out, that doesn't take into account match situations. If Ponting was given wrongly out and McGrath wrongly not out, that's not evening out. Or if the series is 1-1 and he's given out vs. when they're leading 3-0, that's not evening out either.

And it's certainly not evening out when someone's career is on the line and gets a couple of bad ones.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I watched that whole series and was sucked into that debate at the time (and wished I had not). Looking back it was more than a little inane and based on little more than nationalistic chest thumping.
That does not mean that the umpiring wasn't absolutely atrocious. Which is the point.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ummm... Williamson has batted at three. That's where he has played most of his carrer. But I would play him at six.

1.?
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Williamson
7.McCullum
8.Vettori
9.Patel
10.O'Brien
11.Martin

Four Bowlers, and Ryder and Williamson can also bowl.
Love your enthusiasm for young guys with talent, but don't forget we have a current crop of those already trying and struggling at this level eg. Southee, Flynn and Guptill.

And those three > McClenaghan, Williamson and Boult at this stage.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's just not true. I don't know who agrees with that. Even if the raw numbers even out, that doesn't take into account match situations. If Ponting was given wrongly out and McGrath wrongly not out, that's not evening out. Or if the series is 1-1 and he's given out vs. when they're leading 3-0, that's not evening out either.

And it's certainly not evening out when someone's career is on the line and gets a couple of bad ones.
Have to agree with this. For every dismissal the context, match situation, conditions, timing etc is unique. It's hard enough to ever say that one bad umpiring decision in one situation cancels out another in another situation, let alone to assume that they all even out in the course of a meaningful time-frame (ie. a match, a series).

Flem274*

123/5
Love your enthusiasm for young guys with talent, but don't forget we have a current crop of those already trying and struggling at this level eg. Southee, Flynn and Guptill.

And those three > McClenaghan, Williamson and Boult at this stage.
Exactly.

Also, four bowlers in a test, two fast bowlers and two spinners. Begging for issues much? Injury, form, practically anything could screw that line up over. Also, he wants penetration with McClennaghan. His solution seems to involve having less bowlers. I don't get it.:huh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, that's a 8-1 field, what the hell? Dhoni is quite weird sometimes - what's the point of this? Franklin will just leave all day, and Munaf will too afraid to bowl too close to the stumps.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What the hell is going on? Everyone is going insane after every ball with clapping and jumping? Can anyone make it out - looks like everyone is laughing including the batsmen, so I don't think the sledging is working particularly well.