• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's given not out. Right decision.
Definitely. No blame for Gambhir though, it was one of those ones where he probably didn't know - unlike the one earlier in the over, which Sehwag knew he hadn't taken and accordingly didn't claim the catch.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Audio commentators rightly wondering how Taufel reversed his decision. He was given out, and I guess Taylor's looks back got him to refer it to the third umpire? We don't have player referrals this game. Not complaining mind you - I'm always a fan of using technology if you've got it. And no matter what the process, I'm happy whenever you get to the right decision. But ICC really needs to get moving and implement the system full time.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Audio commentators rightly wondering how Taufel reversed his decision. He was given out, and I guess Taylor's looks back got him to refer it to the third umpire? We don't have player referrals this game. Not complaining mind you - I'm always a fan of using technology if you've got it. And no matter what the process, I'm happy whenever you get to the right decision. But ICC really needs to get moving and implement the system full time.
From the looks of Taylor as he was walking off, I believe it was replayed on the big screen at the ground, and the umpires thought it was worth a look upstairs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
From the looks of Taylor as he was walking off, I believe it was replayed on the big screen at the ground, and the umpires thought it was worth a look upstairs.
Maybe. I saw Taylor looking back at Taufel, which then caused Taufel to talk to the square leg umpire, and then refer it. But maybe it was the TV replay that got it. Either way, the evil technology comes through again. :cool:

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Yes, although he's making himself look like a bit of a **** with all the staring.

Dhoni clearly hasn't improved on his keeping.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, although he's making himself look like a bit of a **** with all the staring.

Dhoni clearly hasn't improved on his keeping.

Dhoni is usually a very very good keeper to the spinners. Rarely misses a stumping, and usually doesn't let too many byes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, I don't watch ODIs usually, so it's possible. But in NZ he hasn't been his usual standard in the Test series, but generally he is.

JBH001

International Regular
Dont think we should go overboard with the technology stuff, as the Taylor dismissal showed in the first innings, technology is not infallible. And there is still that pesky problem of stoppage of play due to endless replays. Think we should stick to the current system myself, think its worked well enough, so far.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dont think we should go overboard with the technology stuff, as the Taylor dismissal showed in the first innings, technology is not infallible.
Neither are human umpires. It's not about being infallible, it's about being better.

And there is still that pesky problem of stoppage of play due to endless replays.
Two/three appeals is hardly endless. And a player batting for 50 minutes more because he was wrongly given not out, is like a 50 minute stoppage for me. :D
Think we should stick to the current system myself, think its worked well enough, so far.
No thanks.

JBH001

International Regular
We will have to agree to disagree on that SS. I dont think much of that India vs Aus example either. I watched that whole series and was sucked into that debate at the time (and wished I had not). Looking back it was more than a little inane and based on little more than nationalistic chest thumping. The fact of the matter, and this is agreed on as being true by all cricket followers, is that bad decisions even out as long as you have neutral umpires. I dont want to derail the thread by going into it further so I will leave it at that - I am sure another thread on the issue will come up in the future.

Jimmy: Taylor's dismissal in the first innings seemed to be not out based on slow mo replays and snicko, but Taylor later said he got a nick to it. So it was out, and the umpire made a great call, which the technology did not pick up.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
He was given out, technology suggested there was no edge at all. But Taylor walked off straight away and said later that he did hit it.
Doesn't prove that technology was wrong. It's also very possible that Taylor was mistaken. I've thought I've nicked one before and the non-striker said I was nowhere near it. And vice versa, I've nicked ones before and thought I didn't get a touch on it.

JBH001

International Regular
Accepting that as true, and I dont, then there is little point in having the technology in either case. Close decisions are therefore fundamentally unknowable.

JBH001

International Regular
Harbhajan sniffing a collapse here. I wonder how long Jimmy will last. Hope he makes a classy knock and then goes back down to no. 8 where he belongs.