• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Good catches, unlikely to see anyone take much better atm due to the fact that they're all scared of the ball smacking them as well as the fact that they all get up way too early... suppose batting without helmets got you used to the idea of the ball hitting you and that probobly had a positive impact on short fielding...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still alot of people believe the quality of cricket has been enhanced.
So a couple of good catches from 1973 suggests that the quality of cricket hasn't improved? Not sure about your rationale here.....

Oh and Sammy ...............Juliiiaaaaa :whistling:

sammy2

Banned
So a couple of good catches from 1973 suggests that the quality of cricket hasn't improved? Not sure about your rationale here.....

Oh and Sammy ...............Juliiiaaaaa :whistling:
I never said that, maybe it came off that way but I will say it's not totally better.

Certain parts of the game is now in the backseat. You notice they had the field like that for a middle order batsman ?

These days captains have to protect bad bowlers, so they can't afford to have so much close fielders. I can't remember the last time I saw a third man ... I can't

Uppercut

Hmm, if there's one area of the game that has most certainly improved vastly, it's fielding.

Burgey

Hmm, if there's one area of the game that has most certainly improved vastly, it's fielding.
Yeah, but it's generally agreed Sobers was a freak fieldsman.

The thing that video reinforces for me is how lucky Richie Benaud has been to see so much top quality cricket live, and for so long. Imagine all the great players he's seen, interviewed, had a chat or a drink with. Amazing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, don't think so. Thought I could still see it.

Surely someone would point it out, or maybe pick up the bail if it were on the ground?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hmm yeah. The way the batsman walked away without hesitation makes you wonder though. I would say maybe he bad mouthed the umpire but this isn't ****ing baseball, you can't eject people. It can't be the last ball of a match either as the non-striker never moves. Do get the feeling we've had this video posted before and had discussion on it already.