• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
NZ fans and anyone getting the Sky feed

With the tea break, there is an ad for it with two cartoon guys playing cricket. One of them I think is supposed to be Mark Richardson. But who is the other one? He has longish hair and a beard.

Polo23

International Debutant
The bowlers shouldn't get credit for scoreboard pressure or batsmen playing ridiculous shots - yeah, they've bowled good lines for the most part but that's not really why India bundled out for 300 on this pitch. Sorry if you can't hear anything but praise about your side. I think I've given NZ enough credit that I don't need to defend myself here.
Of course I can hear and accept fair criticism about my side, i'm not Indian.

You don't need to defend yourself, but a more than half arsed explanation wouldn't go astray.

Going by your logic then the Indian bowlers didn't deserve the wickets they got in the first test because it was atrocious batting by New Zealand (bar Ryder and Vettori). For the sake of consistency I hope you agree with me.

Also, why not bother with the first part of my previous post? If you think the kiwi's didn't deserve the wickets, then surely you think the Indian batsmen should have been untouchable on such a pitch?

Polo23

International Debutant

With the tea break, there is an ad for it with two cartoon guys playing cricket. One of them I think is supposed to be Mark Richardson. But who is the other one? He has longish hair and a beard.
The other host of the Dilmah Tea Party...Simon Doull.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach

Probably Simon Doull, him and Richardson host the Dilmah Tea Party in the Tea Break.

New Ball time.

adharcric

International Coach
Polo23 said:
Of course I can hear and accept fair criticism about my side, i'm not Indian.
8-)
Polo23 said:
Going by your logic then the Indian bowlers didn't deserve the wickets they got in the first test because it was atrocious batting by New Zealand (bar Ryder and Vettori). For the sake of consistency I hope you agree with me.
Yeah, agree with that to an extent. The pitch in the first test offered more assistance (so the bowlers could've gotten help from the pitch or the batsmen) but if the batsmen played reckless shots (which they did IIRC), Zaheer and Ishant certainly didn't bowl well enough (but they bowled well) to have them 50 for 5 or whatever it was.
Polo23 said:
Also, why not bother with the first part of my previous post? If you think the kiwi's didn't deserve the wickets, then surely you think the Indian batsmen should have been untouchable on such a pitch?
Yeah, most quality test batsmen (India have more than a few of them), including guys like Taylor and Ryder on the other side, will only be dislodged with really good bowling (which we haven't seen that much of in this match) or atrocious batting on this pitch.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
This isn't an attack on anybody, but what I've heard (from not just cricketweb) in the past few years goes like this:

Flat pitch: "The batsman got himself out, he shouldn't get out on this pitch)

Anything with movement in it: "The batsman was unlucky there, caught out by the movement"

Lack of credit to bowlers much? (Unless they bowl 150+ or are Australian with C9 commentating)

adharcric

International Coach
This isn't an attack on anybody, but what I've heard (from not just cricketweb) in the past few years goes like this:

Flat pitch: "The batsman got himself out, he shouldn't get out on this pitch)

Anything with movement in it: "The batsman was unlucky there, caught out by the movement"

Lack of credit to bowlers much? (Unless they bowl 150+ or are Australian with C9 commentating)
Haven't heard much of the second one tbh.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
NZ certainly put the ball in the right areas and I acknowledged that they've bowled pretty well, but that isn't enough on this pitch. Today's the perfect example - NZ have bowled quite well (better than in the first innings, especially Martin and Patel) but haven't taken any wickets because India have batted properly on a pitch with no demons.
Once again I agree with you to an extent. However, taking that argument to its extreme means the the NZ attack's biggest crime is not being a lineup of Wasim, Waqar, Warne and Muralitharan, because let's face it - only a lineup like that IS going to get anything out of a pitch like this.

For most mortals, consistently putting the ball in the right areas on a track like this is pretty heroic. Perhaps more focus should go on the fact that too many pitches in this modern age have no life in them due to the marketing department's assumption that ****loads of runs = good cricket?

adharcric

International Coach
Once again I agree with you to an extent. However, taking that argument to its extreme means the the NZ attack's biggest crime is not being a lineup of Wasim, Waqar, Warne and Muralitharan, because let's face it - only a lineup like that IS going to get anything out of a pitch like this.

For most mortals, consistently putting the ball in the right areas on a track like this is pretty heroic. Perhaps more focus should go on the fact that too many pitches in this modern age have no life in them due to the marketing department's assumption that ****loads of runs = good cricket?
Definitely. Actually, Martin and Patel have nearly taken a few wickets with genuinely good bowling today (Patel to Tendulkar yesterday was good stuff as well) so it's not quite as extreme as you're suggesting. Batsmen making mistakes doesn't mean the bowlers don't deserve those wickets, but some mistakes are egregious and come against merely ordinary deliveries. Anyways, that's all from me on this topic.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
OT - if there's any Indian supporters here with a bit of spare time and a knowledge of the IPL and the players involved, could you please contact me on MSN (address in signature).