• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

King Pietersen

International Captain
Chanderpaul was dropped as well. Pietersen was dropped twice on the way to making that glorious 158 at the Oval, shouldn't take anything away from the innings. It's been a real battling innings from Strauss, and he's done brilliantly to survive while everyone else was falling around him. He's done fantastically well to get England in with a chance of winning.

Come on Harmy, bring on the sixes big fella!

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Owell thats it all over. Just not enough from the middle order of England and while Strauss should of taken the batting PP earlier they were still not good enough in the middle order.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Ah, well, when 5 of the top 6 contribute less than 50, you're going to struggle to win games. Well played Windies, batted well in the middle, and then destroyed the England top order.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Yeah but it detracts from the innings, does it not?
It shouldn't. Don't really want to go into a whole first chance average debate, but dropped catches and missed opportunities have been a part of cricket throughout history. Why they should count against players playing in a generation where every missed opportunity is noted and analysed more so than those in previous eras is beyond me.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
It shouldn't. Don't really want to go into a whole first chance average debate, but dropped catches and missed opportunities have been a part of cricket throughout history. Why they should count against players playing in a generation where every missed opportunity is noted and analysed more so than those in previous eras is beyond me.
You didn't cover blatent umpire howlers there.

Which is what Strauss's LBW let off was.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Exactly, one might as well ignore all drops when analysing someones career statistically. They are irrelevant, unless fielders all decided to gang up and drop one person more than another on purpose. I guarantee if you take any large sample chances will even theselves out.

ozone

First Class Debutant
You didn't cover blatent umpire howlers there.

Which is what Strauss's LBW let off was.
Didn't see the decision, but if it was a blatant let off, it goes further to support my argument. There's no records of bad decisions going in the favour of Bradman in his 254 (not saying there were any, but it was the first innings that came to mind).

shivfan

Banned
Anyone think Ian Botham massively over-rates Sulieman Benn? He had 1 good game in the Test series, where he looked threatening at Jamaica. But as soon as England started attacking him, he looked nothing more than average. He's a good Twenty20 bowler, but to be as impressed with him as Botham is confuses me.
Personally, I think the wrong spinners are playing the wrong versions of the game....

Benn should play ODIs and 20/20, IMHO....

I would pick Miller for the Tests.