• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both sides have forgotten how to bowl. Southee and Munaf were especially shocking, not that anyone bowled that well.

Oram was excellent though. Mills and Butler were OK, sorry I can't remember the goodish Indians from the scorecard, my mind was boggled with both sides appalling bowling firgures.

Looked like we had a lovely collapse, which is dissappointing, Ryder seems to have had a breakthrough though, which is good.
Southee has talent and not just as a bowler.. He is 20 and he should be persisted with.. Perhaps not in the XI but definitely in and around the squad.

Munaf, on the other hand.....

adharcric

International Coach
Can't believe the overreaction on Munaf's bowling over the past several pages in this thread. Coming into this series, his last 15 ODIs had yielded 18 wickets @ 29.66 and 4.86 rpo. He's having a poor series and was absolutely pathetic today but damn, I'm shocked to see such crap from respectable posters. He may still deserve to join Zaheer and Ishant in the attack for the first test (though I won't be surprised to see Balaji or Kulkarni find a place at some point) and a few poor matches don't wipe out the good work he's done for the Indian one-day side. Yeah, I don't think he should be in the ODI side anymore, even with Ishant injured, but he's not suddenly the worst bowler ever.

Bring in Irfan and let Munaf get his act together in the nets before the more important test series. I'd also rest Sachin and give Rohit Sharma a final make-or-break chance.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I still don't get why O'Brien wasn't played today. Sure he went for a few last game, but even if he went for 70-odd today, it still would have been better than Southee (he I think still should be persisted with btw, but I am bias considering he grew up a few kms from me).

O'Brien can also bowl yorkers, where the rest of our bowlers seemingly cannot. Ryder was probably the best yorker bowler today FFS.

McCullum was out of his depth as a captain today, but it sure was a tough gig for him first up.

Meanwhile, McCullum and Ryder should be persisted long-term up the top of the order. Ryder may not have much foot movement, but with the state of pitches these days, that shouldn't worry him too much. His shots seem to pierce the field and find the boundary as well, which is what you need in an ODI opener.

In conclusion, I feel we could have chased down 350 today with the start McCullum and Ryder gave us (on another day, their partnership might have only lasted a few overs), esp. if Vettori played and Butler hadn't of got injured.

Expect another 300+ in Hamilton.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe the overreaction on Munaf's bowling over the past several pages in this thread. Coming into this series, his last 15 ODIs had yielded 18 wickets @ 29.66 and 4.86 rpo. He's having a poor series and was absolutely pathetic today but damn, I'm shocked to see such crap from respectable posters. He may still deserve to join Zaheer and Ishant in the attack for the first test (though I won't be surprised to see Balaji or Kulkarni find a place at some point) and a few poor matches don't wipe out the good work he's done for the Indian one-day side. Yeah, I don't think he should be in the ODI side anymore, even with Ishant injured, but he's not suddenly the worst bowler ever.
Lol, I've relaxed now but that was a God awful spell!

JBH001

International Regular
Good game, and loved that hundred from Sachin. Sure he is not the batsman he was, but I really like how the 'mature' Tendulkar tends to go about his innings. So organised and methodical, and before you know it, he is on 40 from 45. Pity we could not make a better chase of it, lower order bashing notwithstanding. 22 overs in I was beginning to believe, but then Ryder and McCullum had to go for that crazy run. Still, it sort of worked out ok, 4 wickets down with the writing on the wall, I could go off and see Watchmen without having to wonder "whats happening with the cricket?".

Mills seemed to be coming back into some form with his last few overs, and Ryder played a blinder. A little disappointed with McCullum's captaincy though - although, it was his first time, so thats perhaps fair enough.

Looking forward to the last two games, although a more even contest between bat and ball would be nice for a change.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bring in Irfan and let Munaf get his act together in the nets before the more important test series. I'd also rest Sachin and give Rohit Sharma a final make-or-break chance.
Make or break? The guy is years from his peak I think he deserves a chance but wouldn't throw him into the wilderness just yet. He'll come good in time, just needs to get his head right and score some runs domestically or for India A before his next callup.

adharcric

International Coach
Make or break? The guy is years from his peak I think he deserves a chance but wouldn't throw him into the wilderness just yet. He'll come good in time, just needs to get his head right and score some runs domestically or for India A before his next callup.
Well yeah, "make or break" in terms of his current place in the one-day squad. Kohli deserves the place at the moment, but obviously Sharma is one for the future and the selectors will keep a close eye on him even if he's dropped.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Unless Ishant is ready to go, would you prefer more of Munaf?
Without doubt, mate. You quoted Munaf's figures for the last 15 ODIs. The corresponding figures for Irfan are much much worse. Something like an average of 42 and an economy of 6+.

masterblaster

International Captain
Everyone is being way too harsh on Munaf Patel. He had an absolutely shocking game but so did a lot of the other bowlers. I think to discard him on the basis of one performance is a little premature. He's proven to be a handy and economical line and length bowler in the past.

He's not incredibly talented but with some growth and maturity and the ability to play well in crunch situations, he can be a useful bowler. However, that being said the signs are worrying for Munaf Patel as a cricketer. As a fielder he is absolutely one of the worst fielders in world cricket. His complete lack of fitness and his incredibly poor batting are massive liabilities.

He seems also like too nice a guy to be a fast bowler and doesn't seem to have that edge that Zaheer and Ishant have. To be honest, I'm surprised to see him picked consistently over RP Singh who deserves the spot of back up bowler more than Munaf does.

I'm a bit in the middle when it comes to the Munaf Patel issue. He seems by all accounts an honest tryer with a humble background who you do want to see become successful. But his inconsistency and his lack of ability in fielding, and batting combined with his poor fitness will continue to hamper him in his international career.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The action leaves so much to be desired, it pains me to see it. Perhaps I am in ignorance and changes have been attempted to be made, or I am talking bull****, but that follow through is so soft and that run up is abysmal for a quick bowler. These are not complex things, but could add a lot of pace and zip.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its not an overreaction when you're criticising a guy who doesn't give it his all, is lazy, undisciplined and is **** quite often.

People have had a crack at other players' discipline and laziness in the past (Yuvraj, Sehwag etc.) but at least they performed.

His attitude is pathetic. Say what you like about Irfan (and I say a lot!), he gives it his all and will do what his captain wants. He'll bowl with the new or old ball, bat at 8 or 3 or open in tests, he'll field wherever. Unfortunately he doesn't have the talent, but the desire is there.

Munaf is hardly in the same boat, and deserves to cop a spray.

masterblaster

International Captain
The action leaves so much to be desired, it pains me to see it. Perhaps I am in ignorance and changes have been attempted to be made, or I am talking bull****, but that follow through is so soft and that run up is abysmal for a quick bowler. These are not complex things, but could add a lot of pace and zip.
You're right there. His run up is pretty lazy and doesn't really gather any momentum or pace at all. I think though because he's had a lot of injuries already in his short career, he's afraid about having a more rigorous action.

Redbacks

International Captain
Yes, I do really rate Southee.
Well Mick Lewis would be happy today, Southee only 9 short of stealing his record but at least Lewis isn't the only man in the hundred club. Not exactly the biggest ground in world cricket however.