• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Mikey Holding eluded to the point a while ago that it's not the system it's the dumbasses running the system, glad to see we're smashing the ball, and we will probobly avoid the follow on but they have cheated Chanderpaul out of a century...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The biggest problem here is not the lack of use of the predictive part of HawkEye but the absolutely ridiculous question-the-decision thing. I hated it ITFP, without noticing all the problems that have come with it.

FFS, just get the ****ing information available BEFORE THE BLOODY DECISION IS MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, agree with that. I thought it was a bit much how much criticism Boucher was getting from the studio team over here over the way he questioned his decision. It puts the players in a pretty awkward situation.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bias against WI will never end, I think its time we stop playing cricket internationally. If we can't be treated fairly then why bother, and fans these days aren't better. The guy said he doesn't care, wow.
Yeah, to be honest we'd be better off if we never had any people of different ethnicities. They also shouldn't be allowed to vote, or in fact breathe. KKK 4 eva.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the First Test could have been miles different if Harmison had been given Sarwan's LBW early doors but was incorrectly denied it (presumably because he was white). The ruling is conclusive doubt and I can sympathise entirely with the third umpire: he DOES NOT SEE the predictive path. He gets it up to the point of contact, which is stump-high. Yes, it's probably going over the top, but it is not incontrovertible proof, such as an inside edge, or a pitch outside the line, which is my understanding of the ruling. Judgement of probable fact is not the same as definite fact and the referrals system is always going to suffer because of this grey area.

I still don't much care, though, there are more pressing things to my life than who scores most runs in a drawn Test match.

Evermind

International Debutant
I bet the dumb****s at ICC are probably gonna do away with the referrals altogether, instead of getting them right.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope the referral thing is scrapped, just to emphasise what a shocking idea it was to introduce the damn things ITFP.

Then a little later, when the dust has settled, maybe we might get a proper system that actually does the job properly.

Neil Pickup

City weren't playing in Reading. And if you don't care, it's generally best not to comment at all, as it just winds people up who do care.
It also gives a view on the decision that's not being clouded by instant emotion and prejudice.

You quite rightly point out the flaws in the referral system at present, and they are manifold and as shown in this instance, severe to the point of making it look ridiculous. However, as my previous post indicates, if you follow it to the very letter of the ruling then the third umpire could not have overturned it, and it is one error by a field umpire that is far less glaring than many others that have been and will be made, particularly on the style of dismissal (the leave and LBW).

Dragon III v Oratory II, btw.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I bet the dumb****s at ICC are probably gonna do away with the referrals altogether, instead of getting them right.
Well, the way its being used suggests the third umpires are deliberately getting decisions wrong so it goes back to the man on the field having the final say...

Blimey, I must have read too many of sammys posts, the conspiracy stuff is starting to rub off!

Neil Pickup

I cannot see how the player referral is at all fair on anybody. It puts undue pressure on the batsman or captain to start playing "gambling" with the available resources. Now the West Indies have no referrals left, and if/when the next man cops a stinker, they're screwed.

The most logical way to do this is to have the field umpires in conversation with the third umpires on any decision they would like, and if there is uncertainty then it goes upstairs, we check, and we get it as right as possible with all conceivable technology, as in Rugby. This will benefit everybody.

Incidentally, how sweetly is Sarwan striking these? Gorgeous to watch.

sammy2

Banned
Go take your problems out elsewhere, match fixing, bias etc ftw ... Thats just the world we are living in, big ups to chanderpaul, better than every batsman in the england team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It also gives a view on the decision that's not being clouded by instant emotion and prejudice.
In your last couple of posts you've done that. In your first one, you didn't, you just made a comment that was liable to wind people who were annoyed at such a patently wrong decision (and despite the impression that the regrettable presence of sammy2s might convey, that amounts to most people who enjoy cricket) being made up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, the way its being used suggests the third umpires are deliberately getting decisions wrong so it goes back to the man on the field having the final say...

Blimey, I must have read too many of sammys posts, the conspiracy stuff is starting to rub off!
As conspiracy-theories (mostly wacky, dickheaded in nature) go, that's one of the less ridiculous ones TBH.

I'm not saying I think it's likely, just that it's not a complete impossibility.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW, amid the debris, easy to miss that someone appears to have put something in Brendan Nash's drinks. 18 off 15 balls currently. :blink:

ozone

First Class Debutant
BTW, amid the debris, easy to miss that someone appears to have put something in Brendan Nash's drinks. 18 off 15 balls currently. :blink:
Essentially playing on the type of pitch he grew up playing on, i.e. an Australian one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The attacking fields and new-ball obviously help as well.

Bloody hell, a cut for six. To follow-suit from Sarwan.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Yeah, to be honest we'd be better off if we never had any people of different ethnicities. They also shouldn't be allowed to vote, or in fact breathe. KKK 4 eva.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the First Test could have been miles different if Harmison had been given Sarwan's LBW early doors but was incorrectly denied it (presumably because he was white). The ruling is conclusive doubt and I can sympathise entirely with the third umpire: he DOES NOT SEE the predictive path. He gets it up to the point of contact, which is stump-high. Yes, it's probably going over the top, but it is not incontrovertible proof, such as an inside edge, or a pitch outside the line, which is my understanding of the ruling. Judgement of probable fact is not the same as definite fact and the referrals system is always going to suffer because of this grey area.

I still don't much care, though, there are more pressing things to my life than who scores most runs in a drawn Test match.
Gonna ignore the pathetic use of scarcasm and concentrate on the fact that you are sympathising with the umpires... seriously, what the hell were you looking at... when they stopped the ball upon impact the ball was in line with the bails if not over and still had 2 meters to travel... that decision is undefendable!

inbox24

International Debutant
Mmm Brendon Nash, such a talent. Kinda regretting he went to the West Indies now, could've done a real job in the Australian middle order, especially in this climate.