• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

adharcric

International Coach
Mills + Vettori = the difference

Edit: Talking about one dayers ITBT
Never mind, I was talking about test bowling attacks. In one-day cricket, it's definitely closer and New Zealand may be ahead, I'll have to take another look.
Would agree with you there.

Especially if you look at India's bowling lineup in their last ODI - Cricket Web Stats Spider - Scorecard - India in Sri Lanka: 5th match, 2008/09
That was a dead rubber and 3/4 of India's first-choice attack was missing.
New Zealand has one of the best ODI bowling units going around. :wacko:

It's the batting thats "no way".
NZ certainly have a quality attack but India's attack, for once, is strong and balanced as well. Here are the relevant averages and economy rates in the past 15 matches.

Zaheer Khan: 23, 4.1 rpo; Praveen Kumar: 26, 4.9 rpo; Munaf Patel: 30, 4.9 rpo; Ishant Sharma: 33, 5.9 rpo, Harbhajan Singh: 30, 4.6 rpo

Both Ishant Sharma and Pragyan Ojha, the reserve spinner, are coming off strong performances in Sri Lanka.

Kyle Mills: 24, 4.6 rpo; Ian O'Brien: 28, 6.1 rpo; Tim Southee: 32, 5.4 rpo; Dan Vettori: 36, 3.9 rpo

Close call IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyone else think that Guptill and McIntosh have to open together in the First Test Match?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd say in the long run How is a better batsman than McIntosh but just by being a lefty he might be able to scrape together a few runs. Guptill is the second choice for me either way,

I'd be happy with McIntosh/Guptill or How/Guptill

shankar

International Debutant
NZ certainly have a quality attack but India's attack, for once, is strong and balanced as well. Here are the relevant averages and economy rates in the past 15 matches.

Zaheer Khan: 23, 4.1 rpo; Praveen Kumar: 26, 4.9 rpo; Munaf Patel: 30, 4.9 rpo; Ishant Sharma: 33, 5.9 rpo, Harbhajan Singh: 30, 4.6 rpo

Both Ishant Sharma and Pragyan Ojha, the reserve spinner, are coming off strong performances in Sri Lanka.

Kyle Mills: 24, 4.6 rpo; Ian O'Brien: 28, 6.1 rpo; Tim Southee: 32, 5.4 rpo; Dan Vettori: 36, 3.9 rpo

Close call IMO.
The key difference is India will have 10 overs from Sehwag+Yuvraj whereas NZ will have Oram/Elliot (is he good?).

GGG

State Captain
I'd say in the long run How is a better batsman than McIntosh but just by being a lefty he might be able to scrape together a few runs. Guptill is the second choice for me either way,

I'd be happy with McIntosh/Guptill or How/Guptill
Agree, I predict that this will be McIntosh's last test series.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
the kiwis best bet in the odis is to prepare seaming wickets as opposed to flat ones because our big hitters are going to destroy them.with seaming wickets the scores might be low but they have a better chance of keeping the series close and even winning it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flat ones are fine, NZ can hit a bit too. It's the subcontinental-style ones you want to avoid- flat and slow with low bounce, or turning.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The key difference is India will have 10 overs from Sehwag+Yuvraj whereas NZ will have Oram/Elliot (is he good?).
Elliot, it seems, is a part-timer, but has maintained good bowling figures, even as NZ has become a lot more batting-friendly. He's bowled stretches of overs, and looked unspectacular, but surely better than the likes of Sehwag and Yuvraj. Then again, he won't get to bowl much now, since the Kiwis anyway have five regular bowlers.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
India to win the tests comfortably, and NZ to edge out the ODIs.

Zaheer will wreak havoc amongst our top order with our poor history against left arm sing bowlers.

Hope McCullum has a decent series. He has been batting with more responsibility recently.

adharcric

International Coach
Over the past 15 matches, Yuvraj has taken 12 wickets @ 29.33 in 71 overs, conceding 4.98 rpo. Sehwag has shown his bowling ability in test cricket and Yusuf Pathan has done the same in Twenty20 cricket. India's part-timers are clearly the weak point in the attack but the weakness is exaggerated far too often.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Over the past 15 matches, Yuvraj has taken 12 wickets @ 29.33 in 71 overs, conceding 4.98 rpo. Sehwag has shown his bowling ability in test cricket and Yusuf Pathan has done the same in Twenty20 cricket. India's part-timers are clearly the weak point in the attack but the weakness is exaggerated far too often.
In India/SL they're fine but I doubt if they can bowl as cheaply on NZ pitches.