• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's funny, my first thought was missing leg with that one. Clearly wasn't any bat on it, but I did wonder at first whether it was missing leg. HawkEye obviously suggested not.
Yeah, my first instinct was that it might have just been doing too much.

It's the fact that Harper gave a run for it that baffles me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could argue each of those things, but I'm really not sure I would. Perhaps diabolical is too strong a word, but I still think Strauss' captaincy has been poor and if West Indies' batsmen hadn't made so many errors I think people'd be criticising his captaincy come the end of the day, and now won't be because West Indies' batsmen's errors have let him and the team off the hook.
But despite a lot of the dismissals being down to batsman error, they have bowled well. In difficult circumstances, and without much luck at times. It's not really fair to look just at the dismissals in isolation, if they'd been bowling badly, the Windies almost certainly would've made less mistakes.

pskov

International 12th Man
Nash the limpet gone. Now just a matter of time you'd think before England have to decide about the follow on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But despite a lot of the dismissals being down to batsman error, they have bowled well. In difficult circumstances, and without much luck at times. It's not really fair to look just at the dismissals in isolation, if they'd been bowling badly, the Windies almost certainly would've made less mistakes.
Debateable. Sarwan, for example, had only just hit a few boundaries. Smith had just come off a drinks-break - that ball. Gayle had been hitting it all over. Ramdin, well, it was his first ball. Chanderpaul, well, he just doesn't do that sort of nonsense, he plays each ball on its own merits without worrying about what's gone before.

I'm not saying Swann hasn't bowled well because he has, but I don't think you can put any of West Indies' batsmen's errors down to anyone bowling well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nash the limpet gone. Now just a matter of time you'd think before England have to decide about the follow on.
I can't believe they'll refuse, and on this pitch with no back-to-back games and being 0-1 down you'd have to say it'd probably be the right choice.

pskov

International 12th Man
Stick them in again. Fred & Harmy aren't going to get any significantly better by day five.
Would be my decision too, but I'm not sure if Strauss would be brave enough to do it. The fact that they are 1-0 down in the series means they definitely should in my opinion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyy has 5, and finally Rudi gives one. Hopefully he can get 6 as well.

Suliemann Benn's pads remind me of someone from the 1900s.

pskov

International 12th Man
Well with that Monty might as well fly home now. Not going to replace Swann barring injury for the rest of this tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's never a good idea to have just 1 spinner in a touring party TBH. Fortunately this should now almost completely rule-out any remote danger of Adil Rashid playing Tests this tour.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Debateable. Sarwan, for example, had only just hit a few boundaries. Smith had just come off a drinks-break - that ball. Gayle had been hitting it all over. Ramdin, well, it was his first ball. Chanderpaul, well, he just doesn't do that sort of nonsense, he plays each ball on its own merits without worrying about what's gone before.

I'm not saying Swann hasn't bowled well because he has, but I don't think you can put any of West Indies' batsmen's errors down to anyone bowling well.
That's only partly the point i was making though. Put simply, bowling well is, by definition better than bowling badly. Often you bowl well for no reward, and often bowl badly and pick up plenty. But cricket is, to an extent, an exercise in probability. England have bowled just about well enough to justify having the Windies at 279/8, and on another day it would have been the good deliveries that got the wickets. On this occasion it was batsman error, but that's how it goes.

On an unrelated note, FIVE FOR SWANN :wub:. Credit to the selectors for finally giving Monty the chop.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Freeeeeddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii gets a tailender out, not that usual. Good to see him and Swannnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy sharing the wickets this innings. Strauss and Cook will now have 12 overs, if my calculations are correct.