• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the no.1 spinner of the Post Packer Era?

Who will your spinner for the Post Packer XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
archie, most've us are all well aware of your opinion of Murali's action before this thread. All you're doing is increasing the likelihood that this becomes an insult throwing contest. Please, in the future, refrain from the throwing accusations when we are comparing the two of them as bowlers.
No worries, I was trying to be funny:wub:

LIke the way Murali approaches his cricket, always gives 100%, but still entitied to my opinion, which after all is what the forum is for, I think people are too sensitive, and it should be said that I never attack posters on this forum

Will climb down off my soap box, and will not mention the MM subject again:)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't understand why the World XI vs Australia stats aren't included here. Dravid wasn't thinking about his team mates when he was out there facing the Aussie bowlers. All he was doing was concentrating on the next delivery, like he does when playing for India.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't understand why the World XI vs Australia stats aren't included here. Dravid wasn't thinking about his team mates when he was out there facing the Aussie bowlers. All he was doing was concentrating on the next delivery, like he does when playing for India.
But he had nothing to lose except a few points in his stats. Playing for own country > Playing for a randomly arranged team.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I voted Warne. I can't be bothered to read the thread for fear of it being another spreadsheet fest debating Warne and Murali.

Beleg

International Regular
murali

a class above every single other bowler I've ever watched. it's not even close.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, how many wickets they take or how many runs they score is something I'd give greater weighting to than the impression I got when watching them play. I don't enjoy cricket for the stats, nor do i enjoy it purely for arguing about which player was better. But if that's what's happening, runs and wickets win cricket matches, not good impressions given by players when I'm watching them.

Anyway, Shane Warne is my favourite player ever so I'm picking him. There's a good argument for picking him over Murali, if you want the extra batting and slip catching, but I'm just picking him largely over personal preference. It's close enough that i don't care who was the slightly better bowler.

Precambrian

Banned
Warne.....Murali in a heartbeat if they needed a pitcher though :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
<Postername>, most've us are all well aware of your opinion of Murali's action before this thread. All you're doing is increasing the likelihood that this becomes an insult throwing contest. Please, in the future, refrain from the throwing accusations when we are comparing the two of them as bowlers.
I always knew I was a good mod material. :happy:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. Murali has a better average in the subcontinent as compared to Warne, although their averages in SL are very similar and nothing to suggest Warne was better than Murali in conditions aiding them.
Since we've already gone through the India/injury argument I won't rehash that. Warne was better in SL than Murali himself.

Warne: Avg 20; SR 39
Murali: Avg 22; SR 56. - with Minnows, it is Avg 19; SR 50

Anyway, the original point stands. Murali's home was much more beneficial to him than Warne's was to him. Considering half their careers are played on their homes, a difference of 1 or so points in average is hardly a talking point and really puts Warne in a better light, if anything.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Without doing a statistical analysis, I found Warne far more pleasing to watch bowl than Murali. I understand that Murali is in the top two spinners of all time, but for me he took most of his wickets out of the hand, while Warne beat them in the air. To me that makes Warne the better bowler. The batsmen knew exactly what was coming and couldn't do anything about it.

On the other hand, my favourite bowler as a kid was Peter Taylor and I was upset when they picked Warne and he got smashed everywhere in his first match. Thankfully I was wrong back then :lol:

Precambrian

Banned
Without doing a statistical analysis, I found Warne far more pleasing to watch bowl than Murali. I understand that Murali is in the top two spinners of all time, but for me he took most of his wickets out of the hand, while Warne beat them in the air. To me that makes Warne the better bowler. The batsmen knew exactly what was coming and couldn't do anything about it.
Indian batsmen knew and they could do whatever they pleased with him.

His records are inflated because English players were ****e players of spin.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Which doesn't explain why he owned every other team even disregarding England and India.

stephen

And every other team in the world?

To be fair he did have a horrible record vs india and though there were some injury excuses, not everything can be blamed on that.

Also, his final series against them he averaged thirty which is respectable, though not ideal. I'd pick Murali and Kumble as the spinners if we were playing in India any day of the week.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Always thought it was a shame that due to injury Warne didn't get to play in the 4th Test of his last series in India (the one where Pup to 6/9) - it would have been a great opportunity to finally improve his record in India.

bagapath

International Captain
And every other team in the world?

To be fair he did have a horrible record vs india and though there were some injury excuses, not everything can be blamed on that.

Also, his final series against them he averaged thirty which is respectable, though not ideal. I'd pick Murali and Kumble as the spinners if we were playing in India any day of the week.
no. you should pick lance gibbs and richie benaud.
in india, murali averaged 39 + and warne averaged 43 +.
both were crap.

Last edited:

stephen

no. you should pick lance gibbs and richie benaud.
in india, murali averaged 39 + and warne averaged 43 +.
both were crap.
Wow I didn't realise Murali was so garbage in India.

Must be something about the pitches and atmospheric conditions in India that makes it hard for visiting spinners. Well that and the fact that India have had Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Sehwag who are all top quality players of spin.

EDIT: I also did not realise how bad Murali's average in Australia is, though I expect that Darryl Hair has more to do with that than anything else. Though last time he was here he wasn't able to buy a wicket.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Wow I didn't realise Murali was so garbage in India.

Must be something about the pitches and atmospheric conditions in India that makes it hard for visiting spinners. Well that and the fact that India have had Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Sehwag who are all top quality players of spin.
there is nothing in the pitch or atmosphere. gibbs and benaud wouldn't be so successful otherwise. just that the batters you've mentioned plus sidhu, laxman and azhar are among the greatest players of spin bowling ever. a lot of them played in the same teams together. that is why ajantha medis and murali's success in SL last year or murali's 8 wicket haul against india in an earlier series should be rated among some of the best bowling performances of all time.

stephen

there is nothing in the pitch or atmosphere. gibbs and benaud wouldn't be so successful otherwise. just that the batters you've mentioned plus sidhu, laxman and azhar are among the greatest players of spin bowling ever. a lot of them played in the same teams together. that is why ajantha medis and murali's success in SL last year or murali's 8 wicket haul against india in an earlier series should be rated among some of the best bowling performances of all time.
Well Murali was far more successful vs India on his home turf than he was in India. This tends to suggest that either the pitches in India are roads and weren't good for any spinners or that the Indian batsmen were extremely good players of spin and require pitches to be tailor made for a spinner to run through them. Either way it probably makes Michael Clarke the best bowler for Indian conditions :laugh: