• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's happened to the flier in ODIs this Aussie summer? I know we've been crap, but both the other sides haven't often got a 0 or 1/90-100 off 15-17 start either.

I suppose we've batted 1st a lot which hasn't helped given we're playing crap, but are the teams thinking more of having wickets in hand when they have their batting PP at the expense of quicker runs up front? It's not like all of a sudden there's been a bowling renaissance is it?

Flem274*

123/5
Guppy, you'll never be the awesome ODI stonewaller How was, stop trying. :p

Interesting that his big asset against the WI was his ability to find gaps.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is Cumming in the side? Dropping Jeets makes our bowling quite a bit weaker, and its our bowling that won us the first two ODIs.
Yeah I think it's a strange move given McCullum's fit. If Hopkins was playing the batting would've needed strengthening but if Patel had to be dropped in the context of this team, it should have been for Franklin IMO (and yes I know he's not in the country :p).

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah I think it's a strange move given McCullum's fit. If Hopkins was playing the batting would've needed strengthening but if Patel had to be dropped in the context of this team, it should have been for Franklin IMO (and yes I know he's not in the country :p).
Yeah, agreed.
The fact that we haven't lost early wickets makes it an even worse decision.
Not to mention bowling last with only 5 bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd consider Jimmeh now actualy. His batting is improved and we can cover his pie throwing innings with Elliott and Ryder.

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed. Dont really know how Elliott will go bowling a full 10, he could get smashed but if the Aussies come at him, it also gives him an opportunity for wickets - if he is good enough. Still think it was a bad call though, Jeets and Dan were working well together. Also I dont rate Cumming, wasted at 6 in any case.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WTF Ian Healy talking to the Comm Bank bloke - "Is there a specific branch that's been hit down there in the fires?"

What kind of a question is that? I know this isn't Frost-Nixon, but please. ****.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd consider Jimmeh now actualy. His batting is improved and we can cover his pie throwing innings with Elliott and Ryder.
Yeah he's obviously still not quite completely rmatch-fit yet as far as his bowling goes but he certainly adds a lot more with the ball than Cumming. He's been one of the leading batsmen in both forms of domestic cricket this season as well and he's well-suited to batting #7.

I probably would have just stuck with Patel TBH, even though I don't really rate him that highly, but if Vettori didn't have faith in him for this game I think Franklin would suit the balance of the team the most.

Flem274*

123/5
TBH, I actually thought he'd get a go in this game if McCullum played. I have low expectations but I thought he'd play.
He's handy, might even end up half an Elliott (rated them about the same before Elliotts tour of England).

EDIT: sounds like I'm rating him. He's crap, but he'd be handy this match.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Might as well have played Diremanti. Could slog a few at the end.
Yeah, indeed.
Now this decision shows that its a stupid squad selection.
Why pick Boult and Diamanti if you had no intention of playing them.

Did the selectors think we wouldn't be competitive, and now its come back to haunt them?

Seriously, if you dont replace Patel with Diamanti then why is he in the squad. Would have loved to see Thompson playing instead.