• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Allan Border Medal

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to think Nicholas was a bit of an irritating joke but tonight I think I've started to genuinely dislike him for the first time ever. Shameless dickrider that he is.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, there you go. Well done to Clarke and Ponting. I think Clarke deserved his award more than Ponting from an outsider's perspective, but there's no doubt that Ricky has had a pretty decent year, and I guess it's probably partially indicative of how much his team mates rate what he does for the team. Ponting's now won the AB what, four times out of the 10 it's been held.

Thought Johnson and Katich were both unlucky not to be Test players of the year, but have no issue with Clarke winning that. He's become an amazing batsman. About 18 months ago, I made a post saying that in the coming year Clarke would improve to the point that he would be - at that point in time - a better batsman than Kallis. I'll have to dig it out, because I reckon that's a prediction that's come true (talking currently, not over the course of their respective careers).

Liked: Katich getting the consolation prize of being named the ***iest man in Australian cricket.
Disliked: Ch.9 not being sensitive enough to avoid ambushing Glenn McGrath with a picture of his deceased wife just as he was about to speak live on national television.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Speech template for medal winners:

1. Acknowledge applause, make brief reference to teammate doing something antisocial at time of own greatest achievement.
2. Mention of privilege of playing for one's country.
3. Register surprise at being considered worthy of such acclaim (justified if Nathan Hauritz).
4. Remind all present just how much the baggy green means to them and to every Australian player in history, even the ones who wore skull-caps in the early 1900s. Attempt to sound sincere if one wore floppy white for majority of summer.
5. One more mention of the baggy green.
6. Ummm, privilege to play?
7. Talk about how we're a team in transition and everyone has to give 110%. Mention how much you miss Pidge and Warnie taking the pressure off you.
8. Self-indulgent blow-by-blow of your most shining achievement, that the cricket tragics already know about and the casual fans don't care about.
9. Fond recollection of batting/bowling/keeping/sledging in the North Hicksville under-9s and hearing Allan Border stoically preserving Australia's honour on the radio.
10. Baggy green again.
11. Privilege to play. Getting the hang of it yet?
12. Quash gay rumours (if under 30).
13. Baggy green (Steve Waugh only).
14. Lukewarm shoutout to long-suffering spouse.
15. Privilege to play.
16. Fin.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting had an ok year where he pretty much performed one match per series and was abysmal in ODIs, Clarke spent the year getting out right before stumps and becoming a massive liability in ODIs yet Katich, out and out the best player goes home empty handed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, aside from the whole night being a massive wankfest the results were a total joke.
Haha, almost gutted I missed this.

Not sure how it could be a wankfest considering how poor Australia have been lately. Must have been some effort!

Normally when Aust have dominated for a year the night is a useless pat-yourself-on-the-back night.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I liked Rianna Ponting, Amy Hussey and Lee Furlong's dresses the most. Shame Jessica Bratich turned up in a see-through yellow sheet.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Ponting 1182 @ 47.28 SR 59.93
4 100 5 50

Clarke 1063 @ 50.61 SR 46.64
4 100 5 50

Katich 1021 @ 56.72 SR 49.46
4 100 4 50

Perhaps they just give it to whoever scores the most runs? Katich is far and away the best there.