• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

pup11

International Coach
Just watching the highlights now. Morkel's catch, anyone? Did he have full control before he grounded it?

Hussey minor must be a live chance for the test squad soon shortly too. Very useful cricketer, his offies look far better than his FC record suggests as well.

& this is one for the English posters: Ryan Harris's action looks a ringer for Ronnie Irani's to my eyes. Is it just me?
Dussey should have made his test debut in the SCG test AFAIC, but he is very close, one or two more bad games for Symonds and he should surely take his place in the absence of Watto.

Harris and Irani might have same action, but there is a huge difference in their pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris and Irani might have same action, but there is a huge difference in their pace.
No one is disputing that - Harris is one of the world's quickest bowlers if the ODI was not an anomaly. This being said, he looks pretty average to me, he didn't get much movement and didn't rush the opposition batsmen. Hilfenhaus, on the other hand, looks an absolute gem to me.

pskov

International 12th Man
Watching the replay now. Looking at Harris bowling, plus taking into account his domestic record, is he really the best Australia have to pick from? Surely not?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching the replay now. Looking at Harris bowling, plus taking into account his domestic record, is he really the best Australia have to pick from? Surely not?
No not by a long shot, obviously Lee/Clark/Siddle/Hilfenhaus/Bollinger/Tait/Bracken/Noffke are all in front of him imo at least but I guess the selectors see him as someone who may be useful so they want to see what he's got. He's had a pretty reasonable season so it's a good time to give him a chance.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
& this is one for the English posters: Ryan Harris's action looks a ringer for Ronnie Irani's to my eyes. Is it just me?
Yeah, I totally see it too. Interestingly enough, he was barely medium-fast when he first played for SA, Manou used to stand up to him. He had an action more like Tony Dodemaide. Only when he took the Irani route and started hitting the gym did he put on a turn of pace and, really, he's one of the fittest and consistently quickest bowlers in the country right now. Apparently it was entirely by accident; in a 20/20 match, he just followed-through with his action a bit and started zipping the ball through 10-15km/h quicker.

I know the commentators went on about his lack of movement but he was never really a big swinger of the ball. Swings the new one around a bit but generally tries to hit the deck. He hurried the Saffies with a few balls but I thought he was a bit too full yesterday generally.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Unfairly kept out of the Test team in recent times too. Should be given another shot ahead of the likes of Bolognese anyway.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I remember correctly he already had a bit of a dummy spit about that didn't he? Hope it doesn't leave a black mark next to his name.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Unfairly kept out of the Test team in recent times too. Should be given another shot ahead of the likes of Bolognese anyway.
Bowling not suited to Test cricket. Most of success in ODI's since his recall in the super series in 05 has come from his ability to bowl off-cutters in the middle of the innnings & death bowling.

When he tries to be genuine swing bowler bowling @ 130-135 ks, he is pretty pedestrian as was shown in the 05/06 summer.

Precambrian

Banned
Bowling not suited to Test cricket. Most of success in ODI's since his recall in the super series in 05 has come from his ability to bowl off-cutters in the middle of the innnings & death bowling.

When he tries to be genuine swing bowler bowling @ 130-135 ks, he is pretty pedestrian as was shown in the 05/06 summer.
He's come a long way since then. He has shown that in domestic cricket. He certainly deserves a go ahead of Bollinger.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, I totally see it too. Interestingly enough, he was barely medium-fast when he first played for SA, Manou used to stand up to him. He had an action more like Tony Dodemaide. Only when he took the Irani route and started hitting the gym did he put on a turn of pace and, really, he's one of the fittest and consistently quickest bowlers in the country right now. Apparently it was entirely by accident; in a 20/20 match, he just followed-through with his action a bit and started zipping the ball through 10-15km/h quicker.

I know the commentators went on about his lack of movement but he was never really a big swinger of the ball. Swings the new one around a bit but generally tries to hit the deck. He hurried the Saffies with a few balls but I thought he was a bit too full yesterday generally.

Yup, when he played for the Redbacks he struck me as one of those blokes who can bowl his overs decently and hold his own with the bat in the lower order, but his bowling come of age after he moved to Queensland, not only has he been bowling quick but whenever i have seen him bowl nowadays he has been seaming the ball nicely too, but as i said during the game, his selection makes no sense, he has had a mediocre ranger cup this season, but he has been on fire in the SS games, so i don't think it was great thing to pick him in the ODI side on the basis of strong performances in FC cricket, Dougie Bollinger would have been more sensible replacement for Siddle, Bollinger can swing the ball and also brings the left handed variation to the table, but Harris is not as piss-poor as most are thinking he is.

pup11

International Coach
He's come a long way since then. He has shown that in domestic cricket. He certainly deserves a go ahead of Bollinger.

Not sure about that though, Bollinger has been awesome with the ball in FC cricket for the last two seasons in the row and deserved his chance in the SCG test, but i entirely disagree with aussie, Bracken bowls cutters and mixes things up in ODI cricket, because that what good bowlers do in that format of the game, but to suggest he isn't capable of adapting his bowling to the longer format of the game is not true, his FC class record in recent times show that he's clearly as good as any other fast bowler in Australia atm.