• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think it's rather rich to suggest I was indulging in any crap TBH, but full marks to Jack for the few hours' worth of closure.

So with Precamb not around, who's going to be posting tomorrow?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That is preee-cisely the point - as you don't need to do work, you can get-up 4 hours earlier than normal and be knackered all day without worrying as you usually would.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This is an interesting one. I've known about Healy missing that chance with 7 needed in the Lara 153* since I first heard about the innings. However, a Pakistani recently assured me that Moin Khan missed a stumping early on in the Tendulkar 136 at Chennai, something I'd never heard of before. Which, well, kinda evens things up really.
i watched that innings in its entirety and nothing of the sort happened...

Evermind

International Debutant
Anyone have any idea what Irfan Pathan is upto at the moment, and why he isn't in contention for a spot in the team? Is he injured? Sreesanth, RP and Munaf too.

Evermind

International Debutant
However, a Pakistani recently assured me that Moin Khan missed a stumping early on in the Tendulkar 136 at Chennai, something I'd never heard of before.
Several Pakistanis recently assured the world that there are no terrorists in their country. So I'd take that with a pinch of salt. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Several Pakistanis recently assured the world that there are no terrorists in their country. So I'd take that with a pinch of salt. :ph34r:
If they really did such a thing then they were clearly unrealists. However, just because one Pakistani is an unrealist doesn't make one iyota of difference to how any other behaves. 8-)

Woodster

International Captain
The 2nd Test is upon us, and Cricinfo seem to think England may make two changes. Shah in for Bell and Broad in for Anderson.
Personally I think the second one may happen, although I hope Bell is persevered with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suppose after the summer Anderson had last year he'd be very disappointed, with some justification, to be dropped now. Certainly I can't see the sense in Shah replacing Bell at this juncture, though I'd be in favour of it (ish) in West Indies should Bell play the upcoming match and fail. However, if Shah plays this game I'll be wishing him all the best and really hope he succeeds as he's done more to deserve his chance than anyone in recent times and has still yet to play a Test as a first-choice, which frankly has been diabolical selection.

I just hope that if those changes are made that that's it - that we don't get Amjad Khan in the side as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its no surprise really to see Anderson being gun-barrell straight in the sub-continent though. Like his swing-bowling predecessor Hoggard, the more he plays he will work his best way to bowl on flat decks.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson would be 100% entitled to feel hard done by, especially at the expense of Harmison. If Mohali is, as sometimes reported, a seamers' track, then Broad for Panesar makes more sense. I'd be happy to see Bell go: I certainly don't want him to have the chance to make another pointless 50.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't quite bring myself to believe Bell will be dropped, but perhaps it's an early Xmas pressie from Dusty to the long suffering English public.

Broad for Monty seems the way to go too, yes. I couldn't bring myself to watch the 5th day highlights, but one expects more from the nominal premier spinner on a fifth day track in India. Panesar's variations still noteable by their absence. He has a great action and gives the ball a fair tweak, but very rarely out-thinks a batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anderson would be 100% entitled to feel hard done by, especially at the expense of Harmison. If Mohali is, as sometimes reported, a seamers' track, then Broad for Panesar makes more sense. I'd be happy to see Bell go: I certainly don't want him to have the chance to make another pointless 50.
Mohali's always said to be a seamers' deck, and presumably always is in domestic cricket. But in Tests since I've started taking notice of the place, I can only ever recall it actually being so once, and even then it flattened-out spectacularly.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes Anderson can consider himself unfortunate to miss out, but it's very much a horses for courses selection, and I don't see anything necessarily wrong in that. Anderson failed to get any swing, conventional or reverse, in the opening Test and it will be surprising if he does in Mohali, with Anderson being a swing bowler and not having a great Plan B game at the moment, it will be no great shock despite his decent form this year.

You could argue the benefits of including Harmison, however, if there is supposedly a bit of bounce and carry in the track, he would get my vote between the two.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i watched that innings in its entirety and nothing of the sort happened...
Well whoever said that is telling a FACT, Moin did miss a very simple catch first and then easiest of the stumping chance (on the same shot) of Tendulkar. The only thing that is not correct in the version of the story is that it was not early in Tendulkar's innings, Tendulkar was on 90.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNe2YtAXPOQ&feature=channel

(It is after 1.25 minutes).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gutted if Anderson gets dropped, had one below par test, so we are going to drop him for a bowler who's unlikely to get any wickets even when the surface is assisting him? Diabolical decision if its taken...Harmison for Broad i could take or Broad for Panesar.

Will probably be up from Lunch tomorrow to watch

andrew9120

Cricket Spectator
England entered this test series against the backgrop of horrific attacks in Mumbai. It was argued that England turning up to play would be a victory for cricket, however not only did England turn up but they actually produced some moments of good play. Peter Moores is fond of describing the positives to be taken out of games, but looking back at Chennai there were genuine positives.

Andrew Strauss' two centuries at Chennai was one such positive. In both innings Strauss embodied conservative reliability. Back in 2004 he cut and pulled his way to success. His accumulating style encountered problems in subsequent seasons principally through his pulling and driving uppishly. The Chennai spectators saw Strauss score few runs pulling or driving - but did see what England need if they are to climb once again up the rankings - a batsmen ruthlessly converting a start into three figures.

Another major positive was Paul Collingwood's innings. Collingwood did not look to be in good form - he rarely does. Surely he deserves recognition as one of the games greatest fighters. Flintoff's bowling was another unrewarded positive. Most of his spells were impressive and the spell in which he got under the brilliant Yuraj Singhs skin was fantastic.

Going into the next test I cannot believe that Bell is still being considered for selection and cannot comprehend his batting at number three. Having played 14 matches at three averaging in the low 30s this is clealy not his best position. I could at least understand his batting down at 6 where he has had some success. Owais Shah must wonder what he needs to do to get a game.

I think that Monty is a great character that needs to be left out of the next game. I do however like our balance with two spinners and cannot help wonder, why not give Rashid a game? What a potential opportunity for the young man to make an impact in helpful conditions? What a gamble!

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I do however like our balance with two spinners and cannot help wonder, why not give Rashid a game?* What a potential opportunity for the young man to make an impact in helpful conditions?* What a gamble!
If the game was a dead rubber then maybe but England could still salvage something. I dont envision Rashid being ready to play for England for at least a year. He is not that good a bowler or batsman yet, though i would be intrigued to see him have a go. I like Broad for Jimmy. I think Jimmy should play every test against the Windies because he swings it and the Windies hate swing, but in this particular test Broad is the right man. More accurate and a better batsman. It's unlikely that there will be any swing so Anderson would have been ineffective anyway. Finally, I have never ever rated Harmy. I think he is an average bowler, got a bit of pace, a bit of bounce but nothing else. Lacks accuracy and doesnt look like taking wickets unless the wicket is one that will assist him and even then your asking alot. Should be dropped with haste!