• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Evermind

International Debutant
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/current/story/382317.html

What's the point of these arbitrary statistics? How useless is that page?

It's the FIRST TIME a subcontinent team has scored at 3.93 an over in tests in the second innings since March 1980 which is exactly 1.01 more than the third innings run rate, while the second innings run rate was 3.45, which was exactly 1 more than 2.45 of England, which is the 35th time there has been a difference of 1 or more between the run-rates in matches played between subcontinent and non-subcontinent teams with the non-subcontinent team with a captain of foreign origin.

I can do it too!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Methinks enourous 4th innings chases like this are going to stop being such an anomally
I don't think they're going to stop being anomalous, but I do think they're going to be less infrequent anomalies now than they were for pretty well all the 20th-century and a bit of the 21st or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The shrtage of large 4th innings chases imo has alot to do with the quality of the pitch as the relative strenght of the XIs on the pitch. I suspect that now cricket squares are much better looked after than before they are fewer and fewer day 5 minefields than eer before hence the idea of chasing after 250+ score is no longer quite the nightmare it once was so long as the players hold their nerve as India did today and England did against NZ at Old Trafford (to bring in an older example)
I certainly think squares are tending to play differently at the current time than they have for most of Test history. However, is that an unmitigated good thing? I don't think so. Most of the "getting better for batting" pitches won't produce games like this, and much as this sort of game is sensational, it's not worth another 1 of these for another 40 bore-draws or bore-600-plays-240+350-innings-victory.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag and Tendulkar were unreal... wp India.
Yuvraj Singh wasn't bad either TBF.

As for whether Yuvraj playing this knock will be good or bad for India long-term, well, I just don't know really. I said before the game that, unlike some Indian posters, I retain some amount of hope for Yuvraj as a Test batsman and I hope this knock is the springboard for him to launch a consistent 8-9 years at Test level.

But I won't be taking it for granted the way some Sky analysts\coms are.

JBH001

International Regular
Well done India!

And Sachin, so glad he can finally get those bs monkeys off his back. Just the greatest.

Now, to watch the highlights on youtube! :)

JBH001

International Regular
Originally Posted by social
On this pitch against these bowlers, I'd back the Indian lineup to chase down this total 0 times out of 7

Sehwag - poor second innings record
Gambhir - unproven
Dravid - dreadful form
Tendy - great player but limited history of matchwinning innings
Laxman - inconsistent
Yuvi - history says he's not up to it
Dhoni - talented tailender

dont think there is any thing much better than this
:laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
I think this was our only chance. We'll get slaughtered next time out. Kinda glad it's only a two-match rubber, rather lose 2-0 than 3-0 ;)
To be fair this will take some coming back from for England. Having played good cricket for over 3 days and to still lose the Test from a fairly commanding position will knock a bit of the stuffing out of them. KP and Moores must certainly focus in on the positives, and there were plenty, that they can take from the game.

India on the hand are now firm believers they can win a Test match from virtually any position. Not knowing when they were beaten was a fantastic trait of Australia for the last number of years. It wouldn't surprise me should India win the second Test more comfortably, however, I am certainly a glass half full man and hope we compete just as well in Mohali.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I guess that at least there are positives to take out of the game:

Strauss is in decent nick
Cook looked okay in the first dig
Colly played a blinder second time out, and tbf was sawn off in the first dig, so all in all had a good game
Prior did a but with the bat
Flintoff is bowling well

But then again
Where was Bell?
KP looks out of form
Flintoff is not batting well
Harmison was up-and-down, so was Anderson
Panesar was atrocious
The team lacks killer instinct

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tough Luck for England. I don't know if they could have done anything more to win this test. They were really beaten by a very good batting effort.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Tough Luck for England. I don't know if they could have done anything more to win this test. They were really beaten by a very good batting effort.
They could have tried something really radical like not feeding Sehwag a variety of full tosses and long hops.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Not when teams like Bangladesh exist to disturb the otherwise serene looking test scene. TBF England was so on top for 3 days and one session, and they should be proud of their effort. The final difference was Tendulkar, and a bit of luck.

And probably no Udal.
and in no small measure, sehwag...

GGG

State Captain
Well done India!

And Sachin, so glad he can finally get those bs monkeys off his back. Just the greatest.

Now, to watch the highlights on youtube! :)
Good luck! They even took down a video that was pretty much a black screen but had a link to where to watch it, apparently if you do a search at http://videos.sapo.pt/ for "cricket england india day" without the quotes you will find hightlights :)