• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why oh why did Cook have to try to sweep against the spin.

Mind, Flintoff has started far better against spin than he usually does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Idiot is a tad harsh don't you think? Not sure if Bowden makes too many worse decisions than most of the elite panel tbh with the obvious exception of Taufel. I would have thought most English fans would hold him in higher esteem considering he got one of the decisions of the century right to help England to Ashes glory in 2005 - tongue-in-cheek of course :happy:
He damn near cost England the Edgbaston Test by failing to give a plumb lbw against Kasprowicz 1st ball.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Idiot is a tad harsh don't you think? Not sure if Bowden makes too many worse decisions than most of the elite panel tbh with the obvious exception of Taufel. I would have thought most English fans would hold him in higher esteem considering he got one of the decisions of the century right to help England to Ashes glory in 2005 - tongue-in-cheek of course :happy:
Idiot as he believes an umpire is part of the entertainment and that his stupid and 'exciting' signals somehow add to the spectacle.

I obviously think this is wrong but even if you dont mind this philosophy, if you want attention and the limelight then you had better be prepared for when you **** up in your primary role.

Attention seeking fool, even if every decision was correct.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh well, at least Strauss got a century before gifting his wicket.

Looks like Anderson would've lost his duckless record if India had appealed when he hit the ball in the air to a fielder, incidentally.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What's your opinion of Yuvraj's bowling? He seems to be doing a lot better than the frontline bowlers, and if he keeps this up, he may seal a place for himself in the Test XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yuvraj still looks utterly innocuous and I still can't fathom how England have had such difficulty with him. Hugely disappointing. I don't mind struggling against Mishra and Harbhajan Singh because they're fine bowlers and this pitch has offered to turn to a reasonable degree, but Yuvraj isn't.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj still looks utterly innocuous and I still can't fathom how England have had such difficulty with him. Hugely disappointing. I don't mind struggling against Mishra and Harbhajan Singh because they're fine bowlers and this pitch has offered to turn to a reasonable degree, but Yuvraj isn't.
Yuvraj, for most of his career, has been absolute rubbish with the ball. At times, I've thought, his batting may be affected by being called on to bowl so often. Boycs thinks (and many in India respect him so much) he's an occasional bowler who won't even get wickets in club cricket, though some others seem to rate him highly as a bowler. In this series and the one-dayers before this, however, he's been unusually impressive with the ball. Yes, he's still bowling rubbish, but seems to be bowling to take wickets and is not afraid to take a few risks. He's also bowled wicket-to-wicket a lot. With a great deal of competition for that extra batting spot, Yuvraj may leapfrog ahead of Badrinath, Pujara and Kaif if he plays as a spinner.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW here's Ian Bell's series averages over the last 2 years.
Aus (away) - 33
WI (home) - 45
India (home) - 32
SL (away) - 44
NZ (away) - 50
NZ (home) - 15
SA (home) - 47

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Given Vaughan has a contract and despite a modest recent record, he has to be a better bet than Bell

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given Vaughan has a contract and despite a modest recent record, he has to be a better bet than Bell
Quite possibly. I would also think that Shah must be wondering what has to happen for him to get a look at a test place.