• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Knee-jerk. Too early.

Also, it's all too easy to call for Ponting to take the ban but it would be different if you're going to be the one to miss out on a Test for your country, for goodness sake.

EDIT: Forgot to say, with Goughy too.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Knee-jerk. Too early.

Also, it's all too easy to call for Ponting to take the ban but it would be different if you're going to be the one to miss out on a Test for your country, for goodness sake.
Sure, he may miss a test for his country, but whats worse, missing a test or losing a series? I'd suggest the latter.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure, he may miss a test for his country, but whats worse, missing a test or losing a series? I'd suggest the latter.
The team loses the series they probably should lose but only Ponting misses a Test against NZ. Sucks for him for something he's not totally responsible for (don't believe that the captain should be solely responsible for over-rates; bowlers and fielders need to pull their fingers out too).

It's not as if it was guaranteed they'd win, anyway; was still a tough ask to bowl India out and leave the Aussies with a gettable total, even if Lee and Krejza were able to bowl after tea. The pre-tea session gave the Aussies a chance (a good chance, not a great one) of getting amongst the innings, didn't guarantee it.

Anyway, as Goughy said, if it can be shown Ponting made the decision out of self-interest, he should be looked at for sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All very easy for people who played and captained before slow-over-rate suspensions were in place to say.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There isnt a contest here. There is zero excuse for using 2nd and 3rd tier bowlers to up the over rate to avoid a suspension and a fine whilst drastically reducing your teams chances of victory.

If that is the case the Ponting has a lot to answer for (though obviously we dont know the full story right now)

Its a team sport and victory is the aim. Everything must be geared to the pursuit of the team goal and maximisng the chance of victory. I cant believe anyone would suggest anything else.

Who cares if he gets a ban?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There isnt a contest here. There is zero excuse for using 2nd and 3rd tier bowlers to up the over rate to avoid a suspension and a fine whilst drastically reducing your teams chances of victory.

If that is the case the Ponting has a lot to answer for (though obviously we dont know the full story right now)

Its a team sport and victory is the aim. Everything must be geared to the pursuit of the team goal and maximisng the chance of victory. I cant believe anyone would suggest anything else.

Who cares if he gets a ban?
I imagine those who believe his presence is crucial to the team's chances of victory in the immediate future care (and I hope he himself believes this, else he should be retiring). Unlike the injuries-follow-on case, there's no "might" about this - there's no doubt he'd have copped a suspension, as I understand it, if the over-rate had not been upped.

Obviously, though, the fact that you're 0-1 down on the fourth day of the final Test of the series makes a fair bit of impact. It's a case of are you willing to sacrifice the chance to save the series in order to minimise disruption in the immediate future? If this had been a dead Test it'd be a non-issue, but it's not.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
there's no doubt he'd have copped a suspension, as I understand it, if the over-rate had not been upped.
and? Big deal. He would have got a suspension; these things happen. Australia would have had to deal without him for a game or 2. Thats his medicine and teams have to deal with sort of thing all the time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Inexcusable. Ponting should have put country first. It also shows he didn't have a lot of faith in his front line bowlers to bowl India out. Poor form. Have never thought he's that great of a captain.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't particularly like Ponting as a Test Captain, enjoy him in the ODIs, but what happened today was absolutely terrible.

Other captains would bite the bullet, something Punter doesn't seem able to do, which is so strange and disappointing because before he started his captaincy he looked the type of guy who would be aggressive.

I want to know what Broad said, because seriously if Punter put himself before the team, it's terrible leadership.

If Ponting was to be stripped of the captaincy, there is no way that I would make Katich captain.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
I think there is more to it dude
i agree if chris broad hadnt said anything ponting wouldnt have done **** but becuase broad said something its not like ponting cant bowl his spinners hes obliged to cuz broad asked him. That said in his place i wouldnt have done it they had such good tempo and looked so fierce b4 tea.. if only...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
and? Big deal. He would have got a suspension; these things happen. Australia would have had to deal without him for a game or 2. Thats his medicine and teams have to deal with sort of thing all the time.
If Ponting has the right mindset, he will consider that him not playing is a big loss to Australia, and will be keen to avoid it.

If he doesn't mind about missing a couple of games, IMO his mindset is wrong.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
We cant really say ****, k. Who knows who took the decision? ponting? the selectors? the coach? the whole team?. and frankly we may never know the real truth. so stop speculating.

inbox24

International Debutant
But what's the worst that could happen? Suspended for two tests against New Zealand? Not to sound arrogant but it's not like he's gonna make a huge game changing difference, and even if we were to lose against NZ I think everyone would rather have us draw this series in doing so than losing this series and winning against NZ.

Also his absence gives Clarke a chance at the captaincy and possibly a call up for David Hussey, something long overdue.

Swervy

International Captain
If Ponting has the right mindset, he will consider that him not playing is a big loss to Australia, and will be keen to avoid it.

If he doesn't mind about missing a couple of games, IMO his mindset is wrong.
whilst sacrifising his team during possibly the most important series for measuring exactly where both these team are in the world scene. Not too sure about that really!!!