• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

JackPot

U19 12th Man
Sri Lanka haven't played too many test matches in India either, have they, so that also plays a part in Murali having an average record in India.
loved that one series when murali ripped through english line up in england where he took around 7 wickets consistently.....took 9 in one of those innings in that series...

ret

International Debutant
posters with around 50 or more posts here so far

User Name Posts
pup11 374
Top_Cat 156
JackPot 139
silentstriker 118
pasag 98
social 89
duffer 75
SirBloody Idiot 73
howardj 68
Jakester1288 66
Pnottath 62
four_or_six 60
Clapo 53
Uppercut 49
pup11 = 370+ posts .... why torture the forum, dude? :laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sri Lanka haven't played too many test matches in India either, have they, so that also plays a part in Murali having an average record in India.
Post 2000 (around when he was a transformed player), he has played 3 tests in India taking 16 wickets at an average of 31. Not great but not bad considering India are strong players of spin at their home. He has done much better in Sri Lanka but 3 tests in India is a small sample size.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That's the point though, that people took "Ponting has a poor record in India" and took it to mean that he couldn't play spin, despite the evidence to the contrary, or that he couldn't play in subcontinental conditions, again, despite the evidence to the contrary. There are reasons why Ponting has a poor record in India compared to other countries, including his struggles against spin during a certain part of his career, and with a certain bowler in particular, and the pressure he was under at that time as a player, and above all the fact that he hasn't played there since he came of age as a batsman, while he has played everywhere else (except Pakistan).

In the years since there has been enough evidence that he's corrected those flaws in his game that I don't think the overall record in India was relevant to anything. "Ponting struggled against spin and with X and Y during the early part of his career" is a perfectly valid criticism, and always will be, even if he averages 150 in this series and carries Australia to a clean sweep. "Ponting is incapable of performing in India" is not, and hasn't been for some time now. It was never that simple.
Spot on.

JackPot

U19 12th Man
Post 2000 (around when he was a transformed player), he has played 3 tests in India taking 16 wickets at an average of 31. Not great but not bad considering India are strong players of spin at their home.
not bad. But when u think of a spinner like Murali, one wud expect more wickets at a better average than that....especially on spin friendly tracks like in India

agree its an anomaly like mentioned in the earlier post

howardj

International Coach
When you embarrass Ponting, as leading up to this innings when people were rubbishing his record in India or as in Ashes 2005, he makes you pay next time around. A big score yesterday was as predictable as the way he bounced back at the Gabba with a ton in 1st Test of the last Ashes series. The man thrives on bouncing back.

JackPot

U19 12th Man
it was really exciting little contest between ishant and ponting early on -- puntoo weathered it out in flying colors

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah i guess i am spamming the thread...:tomato:
Wouldn't say you were spamming as such - you've been on here a lot and you make a lot of good points. My only criticism would be that you've repeated yourself a bit, although we all tend to do that when we believe strongly against something that is happening.

I reckon someone posting the postcounts of members in this thread just to have a dig at someone would be more classified as "spam" than anything you've posted in 'ere, TBH..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shockingly average commentary team for this series IMO. Lack of Tony Greig in a Ind/Aus series is definately weird. Only Nicholas & Shastri are good, very disappointed Slater, Bhogle, I Chappell aren't involved.

pup11

International Coach
Wouldn't say you were spamming as such - you've been on here a lot and you make a lot of good points. My only criticism would be that you've repeated yourself a bit, although we all tend to do that when we believe strongly against something that is happening.

I reckon someone posting the postcounts of members in this thread just to have a dig at someone would be more classified as "spam" than anything you've posted in 'ere, TBH..
PEWS you are the man...:thumbsup:

pup11

International Coach
Shockingly average commentary team for this series IMO. Lack of Tony Greig in a Ind/Aus series is definately weird. Only Nicholas & Shastri are good, very disappointed Slater, Bhogle, I Chappell aren't involved.
Ian Chappell was one of the experts on the cricket show they show during lunch breaks and start and end of day's play, the broadcasters would have been much better off having him there as a commentator.

P.S: Btw Greig or anyone involved with the ICL for that matter can't commentate in an Indian game being played in India, another one of BCCI' crappy rules.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looks like ponting is out to his "correct" his record in india, not good news if you are an indian fan...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Am so glad that I don't have to listen to Grieg, personally.

Stoked that Punter got the 100, hope he has a great series so there's no blot on his record. For me he's a great, because there's no other batsman right now that scores hundreds in critical moments more than him.

And I've already set my alarm for 4:55am tomorrow, been waiting three years for this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tony Greig is a muppet. Any BCCI policy that keeps him off the airwaves is a policy that should have universal support.