• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm kind of surprised people are making such a big deal over Ponting's record in India. He basically hasn't played there since 2001 (except the one-off just back from injury dead-rubber in 2004) and he's a far more accomplished player since then.

Also in 1998 and 2001 he was batting at 5 and 6 respectively and much more likely to come in against spin. Now he's at 3 he will more likely come in against pace and be more settled by the time he gets to the spinners.

Precambrian

Banned
It's a bit funny that you mention that innings from Adelaide.

I remember watching Ponting's, Hayden's and Clarke's tons in that game, and while watching Punter's, I thought, "How slow is he batting?" while with Clarke and Hayden, I thought, "He's playing plenty of shots, really dominating here."

I checked the scorecards later and realised that Ponting had the highest strike rate, and Clarke had the lowest.

Funny game, cricket. :happy:
Yep. He was exceptionally slow to take off. I think one of his slowest 50s in years, but once settled, he started playing strokes. Precisely the kind of innings the Aussies would need from him in India, now that there is no Martyn.

Also i would like Ponting to improve on his England records also. Not that they are terrible as India, but not stratospheric as expected of one who is a contender for being an 'all time great'.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm kind of surprised people are making such a big deal over Ponting's record in India. He basically hasn't played there since 2001 (except the one-off just back from injury dead-rubber in 2004) and he's a far more accomplished player since then.

Also in 1998 and 2001 he was batting at 5 and 6 respectively and much more likely to come in against spin. Now he's at 3 he will more likely come in against pace and be more settled by the time he gets to the spinners.
You clearly don't understand - all of Ponting's 30-odd Test tons and thousands of runs are meaningless unless he is able to prove he can score in one country.

</snark>

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He better - or the good judges at CW.net will deign him not an all-time great and I don't think he could live with that.
Truth hurts. :p

You clearly don't understand - all of Ponting's 30-odd Test tons and thousands of runs are meaningless unless he is able to prove he can score in one country.

</snark>
I think we should retroactively remove his runs from the record if he fails to score again.

howardj

International Coach
Perhaps this thread should now be stickied, as the Aussies leave tomorrow for India.

What an exciting time for young Peter Siddle - your first overseas tour.

For McGain and Dougie also.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I subscribe to Chapelli's observations regarding Ponting's performance in India, and that he has been guilty of getting on the accelerator far too soon. Now that he's the most experienced player in the ranks, he has to assume responsibility and play an anchoring kind of role. The kind of he played at Adelaide, which, despite the track being flat etc, i regard as one of his best efforts, since it showed that he could slow down and play the waiting, frustrating (for the opposition) game. If Ponting is a success in the tour, i.e, having scored around 350 or above runs, i would hazard a guess at his strike rate at around 50.
He's never even had time to hit the clutch, let alone the accelerator!

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer

</snark>
leave him alone he is a very good batsman so what if his technique does not suit india
or inswing bowlers or offspinners still he scored so many runs allthough in the period
2000-2008 the pitches are flat still he is a very good player.8-)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Whooooosh

Oh, and on Cricinfo: Watson gets Ponting's nod for Test XI return

"I think he might have played anyway, if Symonds was around, just for that flexibility and what his bowling can offer," Ponting told the Australian. "I would be surprised if he didn't play in the opening game. Him for Symonds is probably the absolutely likely swap at the moment."

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am not sure how Katich would be reacting to this.:laugh:
I wonder how Symonds would react this!

Ponting, however, said Watson, with his technically-correct batting and fast-bowling skills, might have secured a spot even if Symonds was in the squad.

"I think he might have played anyway, if Symonds was around, just for that flexibility and what his bowling can offer," Ponting told the Australian. "I would be surprised if he didn't play in the opening game. Him for Symonds is probably the absolutely likely swap at the moment."

:-O

pup11

International Coach
I wonder how Symonds would react this!

Ponting, however, said Watson, with his technically-correct batting and fast-bowling skills, might have secured a spot even if Symonds was in the squad.

:-O
Yeah i am not sure how Ponting can say something like this, and Symonds won't be amused one bit about this, tbh i rate Watson, but if i were to be his captain or a team-mate i wouldn't be really confident about him lasting through a tough 4 test match series in gruelling conditions, so i really can't see where Ponting is coming from.

Given Symmo' form in test cricket for the last 2 years i can't understand how Ponting can say Watson would have played ahead of him even if he was available for this tour.:blink:

pasag

RTDAS
"Disillusioned" Nofke considers Indian leagues

Don't blame him for feeling that way TBH.
Deserves its own thread. I think complaining and threats of retirement seems to help you more than anything these days (see Hodge, Badri etc). Lets them know you really want in and are not going to be quiet about rubbish selections. It would be really silly if he left now though. Let's face it, in the next year we play heaps of Tests against India, SA, NZ and England. We're not going to go through the season undefeated and as such people will get dropped (or injured) and he'll get his chance.