• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was under the impression Gallian was a u19 star for Australia and they were pretty pissed off when he switched to England. Bet they arent that bothered about it now mind :cool: I'd say as he learnt his cricket in Australia that makes him Australian myself. It wasnt the English system that produced him, just made him **** :D
Agreed.

I'd also add that Geraint Jones lived in Queensland until he was 22 & Horton's cricinfo profile opens with "Born and raised in Sydney...", which again suggest Australians to me.

But what do I know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try the bit about "came through Lancashire's schools system" mentioned in Wisden (2008 I think).

Geraint Jones' loyalties have always lain in this country apparently - he's one of these types who identify himself as where his parents come from not where he's grown-up. And under the legislation as things stand, that means he was able to play for England (or rather England-and-Wales).

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Try the bit about "came through Lancashire's schools system" mentioned in Wisden (2008 I think).

Geraint Jones' loyalties have always lain in this country apparently - he's one of these types who identify himself as where his parents come from not where he's grown-up. And under the legislation as things stand, that means he was able to play for England (or rather England-and-Wales).
It would be interesting to see how many of the current Australian side have 1 or both parents who are English then. Just so i can imagine what could have been :cool: There must be at least 1 surely.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It would be interesting to see how many of the current Australian side have 1 or both parents who are English then. Just so i can imagine what could have been :cool: There must be at least 1 surely.
Symonds & Jaques hold UK passports & both the former's adoptive parents are English, but I don't know how Jaques has acquired his. Parent/grandparent I'd guess tho.

Might be others I'm not aware of.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well in a discussion about heritage on CW recently it amazed me how many CW Aussies had British or Irish parentage or heritage. So there might well be several.

Migration is more common than meets the eye.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Stuart Clark's parents are English.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Should've nabbed him in 2005 a la Pattinson. Would've been interested to see the reaction if he'd replaced Harmison at Trent Bridge or The Oval. :p

Briony

International Debutant
I thought van der Wath had a few good ODI performances for SA but would never quite make it to test level even though he succeeds in four day cricket for his county. I still wonder why so many South Africans are prepared to give up their natural allegiance and represent England. Does it mean Saffers are less patriotic, or that cricketers in general just want international exposure and don't care who they play for?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think if anything is likely it's that Australians are more patriotic than the norm, not SAfricans less.

Briony

International Debutant
Perhaps you're right Richard. For eg. Australians are less likely to emigrate than South Africans. A lot of them come here or are prepared to play for England. You don't see Aussies emigrating to SA though. I guess they love the beauty of our country.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Van der Wath and McLaren are both players with a notable preference for the First-Class game over the one-day.
Not based at what i've seen.

Neither are very good at OD cricket and van der Wath has already been a failure in ODIs.
Missed Van der Wath vs AUS the 05/06 season i presume & didn't catch any of McLaren for kent of TV also.

Also he's played in the ICL so his international days are over and he's said as much.
Well then this should be the only reason VDW shouldn't be considered if Gerald Majola & Arthur fails in the attempts the get him back.

Likewise, Hall will never play again and frankly it's a good thing - he was never that good (like McLaren and van der Wath, much better in the longer format) and he's too old for WC2011 now too.
Hall was always one of SA's better death bowlers, i always saw him as a better ODI bowler with being reduced mainly to defensive bowler in the test arena due to lack of any great variations. Even if he may be too old for WC 2011, no need to have serious plans for that just yet since he certainly can improve their ODI bowling attack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not based at what i've seen.
Well I question how you'd have managed to see either of them in the First-Class game because neither South African nor English First-Class cricket gets any significant exposure on TV in this country and I somewhat doubt you follow either of their counties or franchises around. Hence you can only judge on their records - which show both to be poor at OD cricket but pretty damn good at FC stuff. And van der Wath to have been a poor ODI player.
Missed Van der Wath vs AUS the 05/06 season i presume & didn't catch any of McLaren for kent of TV also.
No, I just don't judge on short-term things that happen to be what I've caught. I prefer to look at longer-term records, and both have very poor records in the OD game over their careers.

In any case van der Wath was mostly poor against Australia in 2005/06. Dunno how on Earth anyone could think otherwise. He got spanked.
Well then this should be the only reason VDW shouldn't be considered if Gerald Majola & Arthur fails in the attempts the get him back.
No, van der Wath should never have played a ODI ITFP.
Hall was always one of SA's better death bowlers, i always saw him as a better ODI bowler with being reduced mainly to defensive bowler in the test arena due to lack of any great variations.
Nah Hall could and did take Test wickets - for a time at least, and his First-Class record was until recently first-rate. In ODIs though he was poor for the most part, though it's true he had his moments of death-bowling. But he also went around the park, unlike true death excellence merchants like Donald and Wasim Akram.
Even if he may be too old for WC 2011, no need to have serious plans for that just yet since he certainly can improve their ODI bowling attack.
It's no use improving their attack now if he just disappears again before it really matters - ie, the Cup.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well I question how you'd have managed to see either of them in the First-Class game because neither South African nor English First-Class cricket gets any significant exposure on TV in this country and I somewhat doubt you follow either of their counties or franchises around. Hence you can only judge on their records - which show both to be poor at OD cricket but pretty damn good at FC stuff. And van der Wath to have been a poor ODI player.
I am simply saying based on what i say of VDW for SA in ODI's & McLaren for kent this season even if they have solid FC records also, i don't see why they wouldn't make good ODI player.

No, I just don't judge on short-term things that happen to be what I've caught. I prefer to look at longer-term records, and both have very poor records in the OD game over their careers.
Again have to disagree based on what i've seen of them.

In any case van der Wath was mostly poor against Australia in 2005/06. Dunno how on Earth anyone could think otherwise. He got spanked.
Yes he got smashed but that doesn't mean he looked awful as a bowler, some of those pitches i.e the now famous Jo'Burg deck wasn't that bowler friendly. Plus his batting is destructive the perfect ODI player IMO.

No, van der Wath should never have played a ODI ITFP.
Son are you wack?. Give me a good reason why?

Nah Hall could and did take Test wickets - for a time at least, and his First-Class record was until recently first-rate. In ODIs though he was poor for the most part, though it's true he had his moments of death-bowling. But he also went around the park, unlike true death excellence merchants like Donald and Wasim Akram..
Ha, the true perfectionist..

It's no use improving their attack now if he just disappears again before it really matters - ie, the Cup.
True, but i'd say if it weren't for this Kolpak worries he would still be in the SA ODI side & would not have been dropped until he really lost it, whether it be 2 years, 1 year or 5 months before WC 2011.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well - TBF you don't see all that many people emigrating to SA, UIMM.
More than you would think. There are places in the Cape and Natal which are solely made of British expats and how many Africans 'emigrate' to South Africa each and every day? Hundreds?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Nah Hall could and did take Test wickets - for a time at least, and his First-Class record was until recently first-rate. In ODIs though he was poor for the most part, though it's true he had his moments of death-bowling. But he also went around the park, unlike true death excellence merchants like Donald and Wasim Akram.
If you held everyone to that standard, though, those two would be the only two death bowlers to ever hold their places.

Andrew Hall was a good death bowler. He wasn't one of the best of all time, but you don't have to be. When you see the likes of Nel and Morkel having to bowl at the death - and even Steyn, really - it's obvious that Hall has been missed.