• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1 game (in which he took 8 wickets and deserved 0).

And I've also noted the fairly large number of times he's had 2-70 or something and taken a late wicket or two and ended-up with 3-70 or 4-80.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm this SA side are good chasers though. With Flintoff in the side, England always have a chance of course, but they sure aren't favourites in my book.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fantastic effort by Collingwood. Delighted for the lad.

However, whilst Pietersen was clearly an idiot for getting out how he did, no-one is criticising Collingwood for doing the exact same thing, because it worked. Whoever that moron was on the TMS forum clamouring for Pietersen to be dropped has clearly not been watching England recently. Regardless of how stupidly he might have gotten out today, Pietersen is still quite clearly head and shoulders above all our other batsmen in terms of dependability. He's been our best batsman for a long time now, and dropping him for one badly-timed shot would be sheer insanity.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
However, whilst Pietersen was clearly an idiot for getting out how he did, no-one is criticising Collingwood for doing the exact same thing, because it worked.
In fairness, Collingwood's shot was played under different circumstances. For one, Pietersen and Flintoff were out.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't say so.. the only two would be Jones (who's injury prone.. but fine at the moment) and Harmison whos had his fair share of test cricket to get it right...
Not even close, tbh. He's been better this season, regardless of Richard blindly talking out of his arse. Improved from me hoping he pulled up lame every game to good enough for me to quite happily have him in the Lancashire side. But that's his level atm. Will take a few County wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm this SA side are good chasers though. With Flintoff in the side, England always have a chance of course, but they sure aren't favourites in my book.
With Flintoff in a side, any seemingly relatively easy chase can become daunting in the space of an over.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Not even close, tbh. He's been better this season, regardless of Richard blindly talking out of his arse. Improved from me hoping he pulled up lame every game to good enough for me to quite happily have him in the Lancashire side. But that's his level atm. Will take a few County wickets.
I know that Saj isn't the most poular test cricketer amongst english fans, far from it infact.. but when you here the liks of Otis Gibson talk about bowlers waiting in the wings he will always mention "...Tremlett, Mahmood.." so he must be in the selectors minds, he's in the 30 man ICC provisional squad...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. Because I realise that you've never had your mind changed on here ever.
Ohoh, yes I have.

I won't change my mind that Mahmood bowled dreadfully in the Lancs-Sussex game though. Nor that someone who has 2-70 or so and gets a couple of tailenders to bullish-up their figures and make them look good has actually bowled well.

If you could show me that this has in fact not happened, then maybe I might. But not otherwise.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cant say how happy I am for Collingwood. I think it is fair to say that out of the entire top 6,he was the only one who was out of form and not scoring runs, whereas the rest where in form and still playing like a bunch of amateurs. Essentially, he was being made scapegoat for what has been a collectively poor batting performance this series, and that is unfair on his part.

Outside of Pietersen, Collingwood is the only player in the England squad who could have played that type of back to the wall innings and hes done it on many many occasions in the past. I highly respect the man for the manner of his celebrations on getting his 100, a lesser man would surely have jumped, skipped, hopped and pointed two fingers at the dressing room.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Ohoh, yes I have.

I won't change my mind that Mahmood bowled dreadfully in the Lancs-Sussex game though. Nor that someone who has 2-70 or so and gets a couple of tailenders to bullish-up their figures and make them look good has actually bowled well.

If you could show me that this has in fact not happened, then maybe I might. But not otherwise.
I assume you mean the C&G final of 2006?? he bowled 8.1 overs for 16 with 3 wickets.. two of which were top order batsmen...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I know that Saj isn't the most poular test cricketer amongst english fans, far from it infact.. but when you here the liks of Otis Gibson talk about bowlers waiting in the wings he will always mention "...Tremlett, Mahmood.." so he must be in the selectors minds, he's in the 30 man ICC provisional squad...
England's selectors have proved time and time again that being in their minds != being the best available player. Infact, you don't even have to be half decent a lot of the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I assume you mean the C&G final of 2006?? he bowled 8.1 overs for 16 with 3 wickets.. two of which were top order batsmen...
Nah, I mean Lancs vs Sussex earlier this season. :huh:

One-day cricket was not of relevance. Mahmood remains as hopeless at one-day cricket as ever, and should never again be let near a ODI.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. Don't know where I stand on the Mahmood issue. Defending him against Richard and arguing against The Masterplan's case for him. Getting confused.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're a perminantly confused lad, Bennett.

I remember a day when every other post of yours contained the :huh: smiley and every other MSN phrase contained the :S smiley.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
In fairness, Collingwood's shot was played under different circumstances. For one, Pietersen and Flintoff were out.
Yeah, fair point, I didn't mean to seem like I was criticising Collingwood. Just that Pietersen only deserves so much criticism, given that without his innings we would have crumbled into a pile of nothing before Colly even had the chance to do anything about it.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Cant say how happy I am for Collingwood..
You say that but if Collingwood had made 1 or 2 today everyone would be slating him and saying how he needs to be dropped... I mysellf still remain in the view that Collingwood is nt good enough to hold down a regular test spot..

Last edited: