• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, re-viewing that Kallis-Pietersen ball it certainly didn't do quite as much as I first got the impression, but I still think it did a bit.

Funny thing was that Pietersen certainly wasn't trying to hit it. He was trying to block it, then I think tried (unsuccessfully) to leave it at the last minute.

Looking at it for the third time and in proper close-up, it actually did just a little bit off the seam rather than through the air.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If you pick five front-line batsmen, that's always going to be a fair possibility.
We all know the selection was a joke, but we're still entitled to expect more from most of the 5 chosen. This is not a minefield by any stretch of the imagination, and the bowling, whilst reasonable, has not been exceptional. Vaughan just looks too frit to get forward to anything above fm and KP is too busy showboating. Strauss was silly enough to allowself to be distracted by AB's shenanigans in the first innings, which he should know better than. ffs if Anderson can stick around for a couple of hours, then it shouldn't be beyond the proper batsmen .

pasag

RTDAS
Did anyone else catch Pollock's phone going off while he was talking to Nasser and Gower? Saw it on the sport news today :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We all know the selection was a joke, but we're still entitled to expect more from most of the 5 chosen. This is not a minefield by any stretch of the imagination, and the bowling, whilst reasonable, has not been exceptional. Vaughan just looks too frit to get forward to anything above fm and KP is too busy showboating. Strauss was silly enough to allowself to be distracted by AB's shenanigans in the first innings, which he should know better than. ffs if Anderson can stick around for a couple of hours, then it shouldn't be beyond the proper batsmen .
Nice usage :)

Cant remember hearing it used in public since the famous Thatcher incident

tooextracool

International Coach
Hmm, re-viewing that Kallis-Pietersen ball it certainly didn't do quite as much as I first got the impression, but I still think it did a bit.

Funny thing was that Pietersen certainly wasn't trying to hit it. He was trying to block it, then I think tried (unsuccessfully) to leave it at the last minute.

Looking at it for the third time and in proper close-up, it actually did just a little bit off the seam rather than through the air.
That was my impression from the earlier replay. Honestly, that sort of movement is negligible and probably just as much as most deliveries during the game. Full credit to Kallis for producing that delivery, but I think it was more batsman error than anything else that resulted in that dismissal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Did anyone else catch Pollock's phone going off while he was talking to Nasser and Gower? Saw it on the sport news today :laugh:
Unless it happened again here, that incident occurred last week at Lords (after South Africa had saved the game).

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah, I think all this talk about the selection of Pattinson and Broad has distracted us from the fact that the batting is the suit that has let us down so far this series and throughout the last year or so. 123/4 is a poor return on this pitch, even if nightwatchman Anderson was one of the wickets that fell. SA gave us a real lesson on how to leave deliveries that are outside your off stump and bar Cook, who has showed the patience and application necessary thus far, the rest of this England side has simply nibbled at and played poor strokes to deliveries that they dont need to play.
For all the talk about Atherton's 185 before the start of the day, it appears as though there is no one in this England side who has the patience or the temperament to bat for 2 days.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We all know the selection was a joke, but we're still entitled to expect more from most of the 5 chosen.
Oh, certainly. Wasn't suggesting otherwise there - simply that poor selection played its part as well as bad top-five batsmanship.
This is not a minefield by any stretch of the imagination, and the bowling, whilst reasonable, has not been exceptional. Vaughan just looks too frit to get forward to anything above fm and KP is too busy showboating. Strauss was silly enough to allowself to be distracted by AB's shenanigans in the first innings, which he should know better than. ffs if Anderson can stick around for a couple of hours, then it shouldn't be beyond the proper batsmen.
Which shenanegans was Strauss distracted by?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he should actually have been caught - it was more a feigned non-drop than a feigned catch. It's the edge that ABdeV missed that Strauss should be criticised for, not the one Boucher took.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If England lose this Test then the curious (or maybe not so much) terrible record of England with Flintoff in the side continues.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Due in no small part I suspect to the fact he was picked erroneously early on and then struggled for ages, at a similar time the team did.

Funny that they won both his first two Tests (which he should never have been playing) though, and of course the famous spell in 2004.

Had actually never noticed that myself before TBH - will have a bit of a look at that later.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Due in no small part I suspect to the fact he was picked erroneously early on and then struggled for ages, at a similar time the team did.

Funny that they won both his first two Tests (which he should never have been playing) though, and of course the famous spell in 2004.

Had actually never noticed that myself before TBH - will have a bit of a look at that later.
What hadnt you noticed?