• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You'll never have a hope of winning a Test if you drop as many catches as England did that Test, and anyone who blamed the lack of victory there on anything other than that (as several did on several things) didn't have a clue what they were on about.
Perhaps there was one outcome with multiple causes? This can tend to happen in that strange complex phenomenon called life (and likewise cricket). It also allows people to have a clue what they were on about whilst not sharing your particular point of view.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps there was one outcome with multiple causes? This can tend to happen in that strange complex phenomenon called life (and likewise cricket). It also allows people to have a clue what they were on about whilst not sharing your particular point of view.
You could alter just about anything in that Test and England would still never have won it if the number of drops remained the same. About the only chance England had of winning it with those drops would have been if the Lankans had started leaving straight deliveries.

Likewise if those catches had been caught anything which might have been less-than-perfect wouldn't have mattered to the result at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hahaha. Dude pace is the basic tool to swing the ball in the air.
:laugh: Umm... no... it's not. The basic tool to swing the ball is a good seam position and a cricket-ball in the right state. If you've got those, you'll swing the ball whatever speed you bowl at - 100kph or 160kph.

Howzatone

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Flintoff in for 2nd Test at Headingley

Would you have Flintoff in your starting XI on Friday? And if so, who for?

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You could alter just about anything in that Test and England would still never have won it if the number of drops remained the same. About the only chance England had of winning it with those drops would have been if the Lankans had started leaving straight deliveries.

Likewise if those catches had been caught anything which might have been less-than-perfect wouldn't have mattered to the result at all.
What if I told you I thought one of the reasons was England's poor decision to ask Sri Lanka to follow on in that match? Are you saying that played no part in the outcome?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What if I told you I thought one of the reasons was England's poor decision to ask Sri Lanka to follow on in that match? Are you saying that played no part in the outcome?
No, don't think it did. They could have batted again and they'd still have failed to win if they dropped the same number of catches, I don't really think you could deny that?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No, don't think it did. They could have batted again and they'd still have failed to win if they dropped the same number of catches, I don't really think you could deny that?
I was just testing to see if you'd fall for the "enforced the follow-on" bait.

I don't dispute that dropped catches played a part in that game. The point is that to ridicule those who suggest that there may have been other possible causes is, well, ridiculous. For instance, terrific rearguard batting by the Sri Lankans, an unthreatening pitch, the England bowlers not bowling (even) better than they did, the timing of the declaration, the decision to enforce the follow-on, etc etc etc etc.

Without my mother I wouldn't be here. But that doesn't mean that my mother is the only reason I'm here. My father and/or a passing milkman had an important role to play too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think a lot depends on Sid's back, but if we assume that it can stand up to another 5 days' cricket I'd be inclined to agree with Jamee & stedly. Broad at 8 gives us more depth in our batting than we've had for sometime.

Just have horrible visions of Ambrose's shell being used as a pretext to bring Prior back.

Howzatone

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I wouldn't put Flintoff straight in at 6. I'd put him in at 7, have Anderson dropped and put Ambrose in 8 and Broad 9. RS and MP 10 and 11.