• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

pasag

RTDAS
England have been holding their own since the World Cup in ODIs, tbh. When I saw the side put out for the CB series a year and a half ago I thought it was one of the worst ODI sides, on paper, I'd ever seen. They won that, and have been doing really well since the World Cup, setback in NZ aside. Not a pretty side but they do seem to be getting the results and shouldn't be underestimated as an easy beat.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nothing, but due his faulty glovework he hardly got a chance to prove himself fully @ the top of the order after last summers ODI's due to his faulty gloveworkin SRI.(which i maintain again has been harshly ridiculed).
I am not sure I like the idea of changing keepers AGAIN. England have been constantly juggling keepers for the last year and a half now and its impossible at this point for anyone to get settled into the side. I thought mustard was just starting to get into the groove and provided some fresh impetus at the start of the order before he got dropped and replaced by Ambrose. Ambrose seems to have a decent List A record, so lets just hope that they stick it out with him for a little bit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I have a very bad feeling about how this ODI series could turn out. It just seems to me that the team has been so demoralised ever since the end of the 2nd test, that they just don't have much fight left in them, especially now that one of our few strong performers in that series is out injured. I'd like to be proved wrong but I predict that we'll have at least a 3-1 reversal of the result in New Zealand.

Though actualy, it is surprising that Bahnz and I have been agreeing lately, not something I ever though would happen. :p
Here's something for you then, I still think Greg Hay will be shown to be a flat track bully when he gets his promotion. So :p

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The England ODI side seems to have its best blend of players for the first time since 2002 i reckon.

Once Flintoff is back a very solid Champions trophy side is in the making. Only worry is the opening position no way should Wright be opening with Bell, again i suggest Prior regardless of the harsh generalisation over his glovework. Hopefully he can improve that since i wouldn't mind having Ambrose in test & Prior in ODI's.

But it is a worry that no other domestic batsman seems capable of opening now that Tres is out.

My potential best ODI team: (Prior opening)

Bell
Prior
KP
Bopara
Collingwood
Shah
Flintoff
Mascarenhas/Broad - depending on conditons
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
I propose that Vikram Solanki's wicket keeping is of a similar standard to Prior and that he is a much more accomplished one day opening batsman.

Now I'm not suggesting that Solanki be given the gloves for England in ODIs, but it makes as much sense as giving them back to Prior right now..

Flem274*

123/5
I have a very bad feeling about how this ODI series could turn out. It just seems to me that the team has been so demoralised ever since the end of the 2nd test, that they just don't have much fight left in them, especially now that one of our few strong performers in that series is out injured. I'd like to be proved wrong but I predict that we'll have at least a 3-1 reversal of the result in New Zealand.

Here's something for you then, I still think Greg Hay will be shown to be a flat track bully when he gets his promotion. So :p
WRONG!!!

He's going to be shown up as too reliant on backward of square and a player who struggles to hit it off the wicket block. :p

Good player in the making though, just give him time. Just because his home ground in Napier that doesn't make him a flat track bully. You're still ignoring his two 90's in dificult conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
WRONG!!!

He's going to be shown up as too reliant on backward of square and a player who struggles to hit it off the wicket block. :p

Good player in the making though, just give him time. Just because his home ground in Napier that doesn't make him a flat track bully. You're still ignoring his two 90's in dificult conditions.
Not ignoring them, but the conditions they were made in were more sporting than difficult (scores of 330 and 270 in the respective first innings, and about 200/5 each in the second). But yes I'm sure we'll get an opportunity to see him soon enough anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Not ignoring them, but the conditions they were made in were more sporting than difficult (scores of 330 and 270 in the respective first innings, and about 200/5 each in the second). But yes I'm sure we'll get an opportunity to see him soon enough anyway.
I hope we don't see him for a wee while yet tbh. We don't need yet another young, inexperienced player with good potential catapulted into our shaky line up. Get NZ A into a powerful, winning unit and Hay and his fellow NZ A players would get alot more benefits from that.

Hay is far from the complete batsman, I know that. He has alot of potential however, especially as during his time he has batted positions 1-5 with success (not sure on the opening record though, in List A I'm sure he opened once or twice and made a couple of scores). I think he should have a bit of learning time, not go straight from point A to point C.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"He walked up the wicket and said `I was thinking about doing that in bed last night', so the visualisation was there."
An astonished Paul Collingwood reveals what Kevin Pietersen said about his two outstanding switch-hit sixes at Chester-le-Street
Interesting.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
my assessment of our emerging players:

Flynn: solid technique but will take time to develope

Taylor: awesome talent, hopefully mainstay for next decade

How: has fixed technique and is looking as solid as ever

Marshall: go away!

Hay: good signs but not ready yet

Ryder: is ready for a go if he can sort out his issues

I fear for the confidence of these blokes when they get wholloped by Australia, but I dont think we are looking all that bad.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Optimists live longer. :cool:
NZ will still go on to win the series. My bet is by 3-2 considering we will probably be playing Marshall over Fulton and Hopkins over Oram. Ofcourse, the last one is because of injury, and even though it puts off the balance in the NZ side, it doesn't do as much damage as including Marshall in the eleven.

Despite all the praise heaped on the England side, they are still pretty dire at 50-over cricket and rely too much on Pietersen and to a lesser extent Collingwood.

I find it hilarious how Nasser Hussein thinks that NZ is a side that relies on individual performances, saying we rely too much on McCullum, considering it is well known that we are a talentless team which rely on working as a unit. :huh: Well, that's what Nasser normally says in his usual scathing appraisal of the NZ team, and he will probably start saying it again as soon as NZ winning again.

NZ to win the series, despite having a handi-capped side, you heard it here first.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad & Bell both had good games yesterday, as did Shah. I think Gelman is right, we should get more praise as an ODI outfit

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad & Bell both had good games yesterday, as did Shah. I think Gelman is right, we should get more praise as an ODI outfit

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, but we've won sesries away from home in Australia and Sri Lanka, and last year won a great series against India. We're not the pushovers we were.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tend to think people are getting carried away with England's performance personally.

They've beaten what is quite possibly the weakest New Zealand team in the past 30 years. We're going through a major re-building phase and it is obviously going to take time to work our way out of it. The one positive though is that we obviously have a lot of young talent that we can build upon, but we're expecting a bit much of the team to beat England in England.