• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Too old to improve in terms of WI cricket is Powell. If he gets dropped, he's done. Along with those Camps named is Tino Best, ICL withstanding. And I don't rate Bennn much either. Figure he'd add variety depending on Gayle and Chattergoon.
Didn't Powell have one test match over in England last year when he was consistently bowling at around 90mph + ??

However did he manage to that.. and why cant he find that sort of rhythm and form again ??

howardj

International Coach
I don't think he's the answer.
Me neither. I don't think Beau has the control at this point.

I think we're in a bit of a transition period ala 1997/1998, where while we're still the best team in the world, we are gifting Baggygreens to players who are not deserving - Wilson, Dale, Hogg, Cook etc.

EDIT: Oh, and Gavin Robertson...how could I forget.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Australia: 1 Phil Jaques, 2 Simon Katich, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Andrew Symonds, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Brett Lee, 9 Mitchell Johnson, 10 Beau Casson, 11 Stuart Clark.

Seems a far cry from:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Clark
McGrath

at the Gabba not too long ago...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone in contention seems to be young, isn't there someone in Australia with a bit of experience like MacGill had?
Bryce McGain, but he's 36 or so and it appears the selectors won't blood a newbie at so old an age. He might still be a chance for India though. Haven't seen him bowl much but apparently his control is pretty good.

Top_Cat

Me neither. I don't think Beau has the control at this point.

I think we're in a bit of a transition period ala 1997/1998, where while we're still the best team in the world, we are gifting Baggygreens to players who are not deserving - Wilson, Dale, Hogg, Cook etc.

EDIT: Oh, and Gavin Robertson...how could I forget.
Harsh on Dale; was one of Aussie's best ODI players at the time and, I think, deserved a Test run. Similar Blocker; that he only got 12 overs before injuring himself wasn't his fault. Seriously, at the time, who else would you have picked?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I almost hope Casson gets absolutely belted from pillar to post just to ensure he doesn't play against India, but that's a bit harsh for a kid on debut. Would be happy if he picked up a couple of wickets but looked out of his depth overall I guess.

Top_Cat

Australia: 1 Phil Jaques, 2 Simon Katich, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Andrew Symonds, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Brett Lee, 9 Mitchell Johnson, 10 Beau Casson, 11 Stuart Clark.

Seems a far cry from:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Clark
McGrath

at the Gabba not too long ago...
Well of course it does. Any side who loses half of their players (and their absolute champion players at that) will struggle to replicate the achievements of the former. The biggest thing missing from the current side isn't really ability but experience. It's still a strong side on paper. Not as strong but still quite good.

Top_Cat

I almost hope Casson gets absolutely belted from pillar to post just to ensure he doesn't play against India, but that's a bit harsh for a kid on debut. Would be happy if he picked up a couple of wickets but looked out of his depth overall I guess.
Well since you've mounted your campaign against Andy Symonds, he's been a champion so I'd suggest Casson will now take 5-fer on debut. :D

pasag

RTDAS
Well of course it does. Any side who loses half of their players (and their absolute champion players at that) will struggle to replicate the achievements of the former. The biggest thing missing from the current side isn't really ability but experience. It's still a strong side on paper. Not as strong but still quite good.
Was more commenting on the speed of it. It's all happened so quickly despite CA's best efforts to manage the transition.

Top_Cat

Was more commenting on the speed of it. It's all happened so quickly despite CA's best efforts to manage the transition.
True although the transition has been relatively smooth, I reckon. For example, if the current side lose in India, it will still be only as 'bad' as Mark Taylor's side in the 90's. Considering the players lost, they're doing alright and losing in India will only mean they weren't as good as the previous side (what a surprise...) rather than being objectively crap.

But yeah you're right, it's barely recognisable. It'll put to the test so many people's contentions that an Aus A side from before the big names retired would be a competitive Test side.

brockley

International Captain
Prince ews is a bryce mcgain fan,must be a victorian.
Jack mcnamara has to make the victorian side yet,and john hollland has just got a contract.