• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

chalky

International Debutant

Bell is a far better batsman than Collingwood, simple as. His Test career is disappointing to date, but it is not poor enough to be being dropped.
If you take out Bangladesh their averages are pratically identical.

At the end of the day Bell looks by far the better batsman but the runs in the scorebook tend to say otherwise.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a couple of our players are proving they're "world class"
But we keep getting told we've got a bunch of workmanlike grafters. No superstars, we get good results through nice teamwork when other teams have a bad day.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
oh stupid me..it's quite right that Taylor's innings was a terribly grafted innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, sometimes we concentrate too much on our own sides' problems but, just like WI v Aus late on day 3 in Jamaica, NZ have been superb today. Vettori has simply paralysed the batsmen, and O'Brien (who I must say I'd never seen, but because so many seemed to call him O'Diren I thought must be no good) has done a great McGrath impersonation. Fair play to them, imo.
Yeah, New Zealand have been superb, nothing short of. Vettori I was expecting so much ever since I saw MSP turn those in his opening over, but O'Brien has been a true revelation. So much better than he's ever been before it's untrue.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
But we keep getting told we've got a bunch of workmanlike grafters. No superstars, we get good results through nice teamwork when other teams have a bad day.
Well, if England plays to their potential I don't think we deserve to draw, let alone win.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh stupid me..it's quite right that Taylor's innings was a terribly grafted innings.
Absolutely. As a British journalist said recently, watching NZ cricket is like spending an afternoon in dullsville.

I must say I quite like dullsville.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you take out Bangladesh their averages are pratically identical.

At the end of the day Bell looks by far the better batsman but the runs in the scorebook tend to say otherwise.
They don't, though. Collingwood's only ever scored runs on ridiculously flat pitches and\or when he's received let-offs. Bell's usually only scored relatively easy runs. Neither of them have particularly good Test careers to date, but Bell obviously has far more class. This makes him always worth the go-ahead.

Thank cricket for that, that's the follow-on saved. :notworthy

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, this is (that word) dire. Well, you know, from the parochial point of view. Fair play to NZ & particularly Vettori who's used a pitch that's helped him superbly. Nice to see O'Brien in the wickets too, given the load he's copped on here.

Our top six then: changes to be made? Bell & Colly look ripe for a rest for me. Who to bring in tho?

Ooo, follow on avoided. I think I've come. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely. As a British journalist said recently, watching NZ cricket is like spending an afternoon in dullsville.
I wish I knew who it was that was giving us lot a bad name with their clueless pen-pushing. Nothing more stupid that making patronising comments about whole Test teams.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
If ever there is a distinct possiblity of a batting collapse batting second time around, and this is New Zealand we are talking about here, it will be today.

If we survive past 200 without losing the entire batting lineup, I consider this tour a success and Greg Hay + other prospects will have to wait another season before we tinker with this lineup.

chalky

International Debutant
Shah obviously, and I'd like Joyce myself. Can't really expect it though - we'll probably get the wonderful Luke Wright. 8-)
Although his 1st class form has dipped a bit I woulod like to see Rob Key next in line after Shah.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Shah has to be the first choice replacement. He has to be. Strauss and Cook have done alright so I doubt we'll see Key. Bopara is still impressing this season as well so he'll be in the mix. Will the selectors have the nerve to make changes though?

One thing's for sure, Hoggard has to come in for Anderson as soon as he's fit again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would have been nice to enforce the follow on. This is great stuff though :happy:
So much down to Ross Taylor. He's made this pitch which almost everyone else (bar an opener from both sides) has struggled either to stay in or score on look impossibly easy to do both.