• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

chalky

International Debutant
Interesting, Athers mentions people being critical of our slow-scoring just I hit Alt+ S
Irritates me, the criticism of slow scoring, Botham is the worst on 1 hand has a go at slow scoring on the other as go at batsmen throwing their wicket away with reckless shots.

I think as a batting side you sometimes have to accept that the bowling side gets on top with some good bowling and just have to look to preserve your wicket & do a bit of grinding.

In the current climate I don't think Boycott would get a game, never mind the likes of Trevor Bailey.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Irritates me, the criticism of slow scoring, Botham is the worst on 1 hand has a go at slow scoring on the other as go at batsmen throwing their wicket away with reckless shots.

I think as a batting side you sometimes have to accept that the bowling side gets on top with some good bowling and just have to look to preserve your wicket & do a bit of grinding.

In the current climate I don't think Boycott would get a game, never mind the likes of Trevor Bailey.
Slow-scoring is fine to an extent, but when the opposition have just gone at 4 an over, trying to force the pace a little wouldn't hurt IMO

chalky

International Debutant
Slow-scoring is fine to an extent, but when the opposition have just gone at 4 an over, trying to force the pace a little wouldn't hurt IMO
I dare say you have to look at the standard of bowling in the 2 innings to see why there is a difference in scoring rates.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well yes, fair point, I just think we've been lacking a little in the RR department early in the innings since Tresco went

chalky

International Debutant
Well yes, fair point, I just think we've been lacking a little in the RR department early in the innings since Tresco went
Got to agree I think at England at their peak 2004/2005 coincided with Tresco at his peak.

Do you think we could get him to play home matches only?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure we have: you certainly couldn't see the Cook and Strauss mk. 2 giving us the sort of starts we saw in 2005. But guys can only play their natural game, and they'd look a whole lot more stupid giving it away. Plus I don't think they're in any sort of touch at the moment.

chalky

International Debutant
Strauss looks a bit clueless against Vettori so far. If Vettori gets a decent bowl at Strauss think he will get him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Played Strauss now let's see it converted - you can say one thing about these two and it's that they have good conversion rates. Let us see it continue

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What an incredible catch that-'un was.

The Cook decision was a poor one, no two ways about that, BTW, IMO. Too high and broke back far too much. Extraordinary ball (not that the bowler deserves any credit), only ever seen 1 other like that - which was Walsh to Vaughan at Headingley on the second morning in '00. But not hitting the stumps, not a chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Absolutely 100% AWTA. New Zealand have bowled far better than England did, hence us scoring so much slower than them. Heck, even O'Brien has mostly hit decent areas. If we'd tried to have scored quicker we'd be in some trouble now.

Too many people simply expect the World ATT.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I, of course, never thought I'd say this, but O'Diren has bowled pretty decently here.

Certainly an unspeakable amount better than he ever has against a Test-standard team before now.

Doesn't change the fact I think Mason should've played ahead of him, but he has indeed done something I wondered whether was possible.

KPP has to score lots this game, BTW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And he just might've got away with one there.

Honestly don't think I could've given that though. It was too full, there was too little between pitching and hitting the pad. I don't think Hair could have seen that turn which we could on the replay.

Maybe if those sorts of decisions went to TV they'd be given out, but as things stand at the moment I think n\o is fair noof.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What an incredible catch that-'un was.

The Cook decision was a poor one, no two ways about that, BTW, IMO. Too high and broke back far too much. Extraordinary ball (not that the bowler deserves any credit), only ever seen 1 other like that - which was Walsh to Vaughan at Headingley on the second morning in '00. But not hitting the stumps, not a chance.
Evens out - KP was plumb and not given