• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about probably, but it was certainly about even-money.

Of course, had we known time was available to make-up all that was lost, we might have played differently, Oram might have played differently, etc. etc. No knowing, sadly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd imagine the result would have still been a draw tbh, I would have been surprised if NZ had managed to pull off the win.

FBU

International Debutant
Marron said this morning that the wicket isn't going to be as quick as people expect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marron said this morning that the wicket isn't going to be as quick as people expect.
Oh well, as long as it either seams or turns that's something. Obviously quick seam or quick turn is better, but without either it'll be a foregone draw again methinks.

Still a poor local forecast?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southee should be persisted with. If it were up to me I'd play him in both tests regardless of how he does. I think most will acknowledge he has potential, but I also think it's something he can realize fairly soon (as opposed to after several years of FC cricket). I do have a long history of backing losers, though.
There are huge negatives attached to that. The biggest is probably the potential psychological damage if he continues to struggle. Wicketless in his last 2 innings and not looking incredibly likely to take wickets either. The other huge risk is injury. So many bowlers have been picked young only to fall to injury and have to make major adjustments to technique. It's not usually the makings of a better bowler. And then, of course, it could be very damaging to the NZ win-loss ratio.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Was that spectacularly low scoring Championship match between Lancs and Durham (the one where Flintoff bagged a pair and Durham were out for less that 100) at Old Trafford?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, so that's two wicketkeepers who've somehow managed to take 2-fors this season. 8-) What with Cross in that one-day game.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
There are huge negatives attached to that. The biggest is probably the potential psychological damage if he continues to struggle. Wicketless in his last 2 innings and not looking incredibly likely to take wickets either. The other huge risk is injury. So many bowlers have been picked young only to fall to injury and have to make major adjustments to technique. It's not usually the makings of a better bowler. And then, of course, it could be very damaging to the NZ win-loss ratio.
We need to blood him now. Arguably this tour of England, unlike the last one, we have our bowlers in their peaks for a change. Last tour, it was the batting that was peaking. Blooding youngsters should come ideally when the facet of the game they are being blooded for are peaking so can deal with the excess baggage.

Think how Michael Clarke got blooded in, although he's a prodigy anyway.

The kid won't have nightmares, if he has that kind of tendency it would have been found out in his debut.

Southee's potential = bowling + lower order batting. Both are in prime condition with or without him so it might as well be with him in there.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I am hoping Southee will play, because if he doesn't, I feel damn sure that Bracewell will go for O'Diren over Mason, despite all form pointing to the opposite.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am hoping Southee will play, because if he doesn't, I feel damn sure that Bracewell will go for O'Diren over Mason, despite all form pointing to the opposite.
:fear:
I'm praying common sense prevails and Mason is picked if its a bouncy pitch. To pay him the ultimate compliment Mason is quite Mcgrath-like though obviously not nearly as good.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you'll find that O'Brien bowled pretty well in the warm ups - or certainly not far behind Mason who bowled pretty well himself. Frankly, either will provide a similar job; accurate but unpenetrating at international level. Bad bowlers, they are not - international bowlers they aren't either.

When's Jimmy Franklin coming back???

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never been a big fan of Michael Mason, but the games he played last season impressed me. Showed a lot more bounce, movement and pace than he has done in the past. His accuracy is obviously a hell of a lot better than O'Brien too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Ah, yes, that is what I meant: Mason provides more accuracy.

One of the reasons England beat us in 2004 was their scoring rate, which they carried on to the 2005 Ashes. They have lost a little of that scoring rate, but we don't need bowlers leaking unneccesary runs.