• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Laurrz

International Debutant
excuse ignorance but surely Pathan > Sreesanth ? hope they play SS when Aussies go there instead of Pathan

Leslie1

U19 Captain
What happened to the Indian bowlers? Where is the form they showed in Australia? Why are they getting spanked to all corners? Can't just be the flat pitch surely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What happened to the Indian bowlers? Where is the form they showed in Australia? Why are they getting spanked to all corners? Can't just be the flat pitch surely.
often happens. After a good spell/innings/test/series, we often tend to follow up with a flat performance, esp. on the first day of a big series..... Let us see if we can get better as we go on, as we have done in the recent past. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
RP Singh has been injured since the Australian test series.

Sreesanth has always been, and likely will always be inconsistent. Will have his good days and bad.

Zaheer and Ishant are injured, and Pathan wasn't selected (he would have been worse on a flat track like this though than Sree IMO).

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Man I'm annoyed there is no coverage whatsoever in New Zealand (unless kiwis can tell me otherwise)...

How are we supposed to develop youngsters when they won't expose real top class batting videos to them while they are still young.

To me, there is no other lineup aside from Aussie that epitomizes traditional solid batting. Kallis, Dravid, Tendulkar. Good grief young kiwi batsmen should really just apply their trade in India then come back when they are old enough for U19s.

YankeeAlpha

Cricket Spectator
Crucial series for Amla in my eyes..has gone on 4 a wile saving his place with good scores against lesser bowling attacks..needs 2 make a big 1..unless hes saved by the quota system..hmm

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crucial series for Amla in my eyes..has gone on 4 a wile saving his place with good scores against lesser bowling attacks..needs 2 make a big 1..unless hes saved by the quota system..hmm
I was/am a huge critic of Amla, but his performances in recent times have been really good. One could argue (as you have..) that he's done it all against lesser teams, and while this may be true, I don't actually think this has been the reason for his improved performances. His technique has improved out of sight and he seems a lot more controlled at the crease.

He's certainly not my favourite cricketer by any stretch of the imagination but his batting is improving in leaps and bounds, so I think you might be a bit harsh.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The pitch is extremely flat. One of the flattest that I have seen and the ball is not swinging more than a wobble, either. Keep in mind also that RP Singh relies on swing off a full length with the new ball to pick up most of his wickets and that Sreesanth has bowled very well, but without reward.

adharcric

International Coach
The pitch may be flat but RP Singh has sprayed it all over the place and been crap in general. Sreesanth has been far more impressive without reward but even he's released the pressure by serving up a freebie once an over or so.

Protean

State Regular
You really don't need to make comments like that about the quota system, it's unfair on the players of colour in SA when that's all anyone says about them. Anyway his big knocks against NZ recently of 176* and 103 came at a time when the openers were not performing and they were pretty important to SA, and he is looking pretty good today, I don't think his place should really be under threat.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amla has looked better and better every time I've seen him play. He's only 24, improving and will be a very solid Test player in a couple of years time. Shame he'll be tarnished with the quota brush all his career.

Great day for South Africa though. Glad we got Kallis but they bat really low and will put up a huge score here unless a dramatic collapse.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The pitch may be flat but RP Singh has sprayed it all over the place and been crap in general. Sreesanth has been far more impressive without reward but even he's released the pressure by serving up a freebie once an over or so.
RP Singh has always been quite an expensive bowler. He is most expensive with the new ball, which is why he has been more expensive recently.

Click here for his innings bowling list.

YankeeAlpha

Cricket Spectator
You really don't need to make comments like that about the quota system, it's unfair on the players of colour in SA when that's all anyone says about them. Anyway his big knocks against NZ recently of 176* and 103 came at a time when the openers were not performing and they were pretty important to SA, and he is looking pretty good today, I don't think his place should really be under threat.
Not arguing about the ideology of the quota system at all..just arguing that Amla has made his best scores against attacks not of the highest quality..and the quota system could have been 1 of the last straws of him keeping his place..his 176* and 103 were indeed good knocks but he needs to start doing this against the likes of aus/ind before i start to rate him as a good player..cant seem to remember him doing nething against Bangladesh in the recent series..good to see him in the ODI team though..think he an play a part..well better than Ashwell Prince neway...but lets not open that can of worms..

Protean

State Regular
Not arguing about the ideology of the quota system at all..just arguing that Amla has made his best scores against attacks not of the highest quality..and the quota system could have been 1 of the last straws of him keeping his place..his 176* and 103 were indeed good knocks but he needs to start doing this against the likes of aus/ind before i start to rate him as a good player..cant seem to remember him doing nething against Bangladesh in the recent series..good to see him in the ODI team though..think he an play a part..well better than Ashwell Prince neway...but lets not open that can of worms..
He hasn't made runs against Aus because he hasn't played them and had an average first series against India sure, but as has been said, he is improving as a player. He hasn't made runs against strong sides recently because SA hasn't been playing strong sides..

As for Bangladesh, he did about as well as anyone in the first test, he got 46 in the second innings, and in the second he came in after that huge partnership and they only batted once.

Just don't think there is any justification for saying he should be dropped given his recent performances, and bringing the quota system into it is ridiculous.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
This is the thing I don't understand, you have criticised Amla for scoring runs against a poor attack, but if he scored runs against Bangladesh, the same story would apply. Either way, as the poster above said, he is looking and is getting better (no pun intended), add to the fact that South Africa don't have a wealth of batting talent.

YankeeAlpha

Cricket Spectator
This is the thing I don't understand, you have criticised Amla for scoring runs against a poor attack, but if he scored runs against Bangladesh, the same story would apply. Either way, as the poster above said, he is looking and is getting better (no pun intended), add to the fact that South Africa don't have a wealth of batting talent.
OK think ive been misunderstood somewhat..I do believe that Amla is a player with good potential..he is a wristy player with time on his side and looks to be a good player of spin (which is a rarety for SAF batsmen) I was just stating that since he started playing International cricket his best scores have come agaist lesser bowling..which is a fact!And SAf havent had ne recent series against AUS??well Amla made his debut in 2004..If he was that good he wudve been a more consistent fixture in the SAF team..he hasnt played against aus because he has not been good enough in that time span to get selected..but again as stated I do believe he has good potential and hopefully this series can be a kick start to showing he can score against better teams..