• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More the merrier. Last night in the second half of the first session was the first time this series there's really been what I'd call a good proper CW *Official* thread in-game crowd, 10 or 12 people. Hope for the same tonight and tomorrow night.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Love official threads, have missed them these past couple of series

In the Windies test series last summer I must have had 2nd most posts (after you) until the ODIs started. I just post post post when I can, much fun

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was more surprised the two of you didn't similarly dominate the next 2 England-involved *Official* threads than that you did dominate (me aside) that one TBH.

Also, on that note, even if he is in Freshers Week, surprised we've not seen hide nor hair of Perm for the last week or so. Would've expected him to drop-in for 4 or 5 posts at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given the stupid ****in piece of **** WMP anti-copyright-thingy I can't take a ****in sceenshot so as to go "circled?"

So I'll have to use my clever anti-stupid-****in-anti-copyright-thingy-picture-taking technique which will take about 5 times as long.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No :beer:, just exceptionally annoyed. I hate that God-damn anti-screenshot thing that WMP has. Now, what's worse, the in-lead from my camcorder to the computer has disappeared, so until it reappears I won't be posting any guesses at all.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Quite easily. England aren't renowned for batting either atm, nor are they renowned for bowling, in fact, recently only their fielding has been any good. As for "no pedigree in batting long periods" are you basing that assumption on this summer? We are always a force at home, our batting has been brittle but we can also bat excellently but sadly, we're NZ so obviously we must collapse al the time.8-)

It is very true we may collapse in a heap, I'm very worried it might happen but we're at home and not in SA, an absolutely **** place to tour when you haven't had any cricket in the lead up to the series and because SA are so damn good at home.

I don't think that after just two days we can make knee jerk assumptions on the outcome of the match, look at Hamilton, everyone was going for a draw but there was a result. Call me biased but IMO both sides have a good chance at winning and looking at the big picture, England are under more pressure, they must win or they will be crucified for ****ing up against us. We can do whatever we want when we bat bar throw wickets away, which on a flatter pitch even us on an average day shouldn't manage. If we think we have a sniff and England aren't bowling well, go for it. If England are bowling well, respect it, look at the big picture and take it to Napier.

So IMO we should wait and see. From an NZ viewpoint hopefully they see the big picture and don't panic, same for England really. No need to be glory boys with the bat and fall cheaply, bat well and have a crack with the ball and hope there's still a bit in the surface because otherwise, bar Sidebottom and Panesar, I feel they might be a bit expose on a dead wicket. Anderson bowled well but he hasn't proven himself on less seam friendly wickets yet, he doesn't want to be just a green top bully like Martin was early on in his career.
Have to say, that's pretty wishful thinking. And rather sadly, being New Zealand does seem to involve a collapse, if not all the time, then at least most of the time. Regardless of how difficult it is to bat in South Africa, our top order has been a shambles ever since Mark Richardson retired. Since the start of 2005, the average amount of runs we make for the loss of our first five wickets is just 141.2, with only one truly excellent effort, against Australia (5 for 355) at the very start of the period in question. Of the players in the top six from that match, only Stephen Fleming remains. To put that into context, in the same period, Bangladesh have averaged 121.9, with a similar top effort again against Australia (351). On average, our top six are just over 3 runs better than the Bangladeshi's. And people in New Zealand wonder why we aren't given any test matches these days.

I think, in the best case scenario, New Zealand will be chasing something around 350 in the last innings though I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that we'll be chasing 500. Either way, given the limitations of our top order, I just can't see us chasing anything over 200, no matter how dead the wicket is.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The pre-game broadcast has started for any one interested. I am looking forward to a very crucial day in the context of this series.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Radio Sport saying that the crowd is very good already....positive sign given the crowds over the last few years.

I think New Zealand must restrict England to 200...chasing anything over 350, no matter what the condition of the pitch, will be emmensely difficult.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Radio Sport saying that the crowd is very good already....positive sign given the crowds over the last few years.
Weather's certainly unutterably brilliant. Great to see days like this in New Zealand. Not a spot of rain has fallen during the Test series so far. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I count every minute of David Lloyd as test match coverage
:laugh: The split of opinion on him truly is remarkable. Those who call him a buffoon, those who love him so much that they count him being on presentation as Test coverage.

I hope we get about 400 this innings, of course, but I really hope Oram gets at least 5 or 6 wickets in due course. If we get even 350, which we damn well should, the game should be as good as won. Should be.

Good solid start here - if we get the lead to 200 with 10 intact - would put us firmly on course.

If we don't win this Test from here I'll be devastEIGHTed.