• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last time England beat a coherant Test outfit was 2 years ago now. Even then it's highly debateable how coherant India were in Mumbai 2005\06.

And I'm not talking series - I'm talking Tests.

You could argue the last time was Trent Bridge 2005.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wonder what Strauss has to say about the Bond-less kiwi attack that didn't worry England at all?

This is already Englands third biggest partnership this innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Languid slogged-sweeps and effortless straight hits. Four followed by six. Will he be aiming for the half-century mark, rather than the n\o?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder... what the odds be on rain in Wellington and an absurdly flat pitch at McLean Park? Hence, this match deciding the series?

I do hope not.

chalky

International Debutant
Fell asleep just after Lunch (Collingwood's batting for yeah) when England were 4 down those 5 wickets didn't take long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's hope it stays that way to next week.

Hopefully the groundsman has also had the chance to prepare exactly the type of wicket he's been instructed to.

chalky

International Debutant
Last time England beat a coherant Test outfit was 2 years ago now. Even then it's highly debateable how coherant India were in Mumbai 2005\06.

And I'm not talking series - I'm talking Tests.

You could argue the last time was Trent Bridge 2005.
I was thinking when was the last time England's test stocks seemed so low especially the bowling which seems to be the biggest concern.

Even in 1999 when we were ranked at the bottom of the ratings we had the likes of::

Caddick, Gough, White, Tufnell, Mullally, Cork, Croft, White who were reasonably experienced & talented test crcicketers added to that there were whole host of decent county pros who could come in and do a job.

Off the top of my head I can't remember being so pessimistic about our test bowling:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was thinking when was the last time England's test stocks seemed so low especially the bowling which seems to be the biggest concern.

Even in 1999 when we were ranked at the bottom of the ratings we had the likes of::

Caddick, Gough, White, Tufnell, Mullally, Cork, Croft, White who were reasonably experienced & talented test crcicketers added to that there were whole host of decent county pros who could come in and do a job.

Off the top of my head I can't remember being so pessimistic about our test bowling:unsure:
Neither of Gough or White played in 1999 (White indeed had been out of the team for 3 years). And Cork, ridiculously really, wasn't picked, Giddins, Mullally, Tufnell and Such being favoured. Nor was Croft in the frame, having had 3 wicketless Tests the previous summer.

This mirrors 1999 fairly well: Sidebottom is the Caddick - outstanding amongst rubbish. Mullally was mostly better than Harmison I guess, but he didn't have the flash-in-the-pan games Harmison had.

However, in 1999 we had Gough, Cork, White and Croft all to come back. And they did. And they came back brilliantly. No such comfort here. About all we have to cling to is "Hoggard can get better, and MSP is good on a turner should we get one, and Flintoff might get fit again".

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
We have better bowlers. Just England wont pick them. If Harmison is picked for the 2nd Test i might just go and kill myself. :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Panesars innings is now the 3rd longest on balls faced. The other batsmen should be ashamed of that statistic! :@
Well, let's look...

Strauss and Ambrose both got excellent balls. Pietersen got a questionable decision. Cook was trying to attack the new-ball, which is what everyone had been demanding. Vaughan played around a straight one as an opener, where he shouldn't be batting. Sidebottom, Hoggard and Harmison we hardly expect much from.

Really, only Collingwood has been out-and-out poor, and he at least managed 50 balls, more than anyone else bar Bell. It'd be churlish to say "New Zealand didn't get us out".

Can we take it to the final session?