• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Martin bowling too short here. Highly unlikely to matter, of course, but not good bowling nonetheless.

EDIT: hahaha, and sure enough, Hoggard pops one up to leg-gully. One problem though - Mills misses the simplest chance. Again, highly unlikely to matter, but you never know.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Ironically, had Sidebottom not taken that hat trick (which apparently needed outstanding catches from young Mr Cook), this match was drifting towards a warm and comfortable draw.

The previous instance of a test hat-trick (Irfan Pathan's first over gig) also ended in defeat. What a game this is.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na, we would've scored more runs and bowled a little earlier if Sidebottom had not taken the hattrick. Same result IMO though not the same way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ironically, had Sidebottom not taken that hat trick (which apparently needed outstanding catches from young Mr Cook), this match was drifting towards a warm and comfortable draw.

The previous instance of a test hat-trick (Irfan Pathan's first over gig) also ended in defeat. What a game this is.
One before that was victorious... (Hoggard at Kensington Oval)... one before that was as defeat impended... (Lawson with Australia chasing nothing to win at the same ground)... then it was Mohammad Sami as Pakistan were crushed by SL in the ATC... before that it was Harbhajan Singh and McGrath in victories... then, of all people, Abdur\l Razzaq against SL again, this time in victory... then Zoysa, like IKP in the first over.

There we go, Hoggard gone. Needless waft, but he was always unlikely to last forever.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well, England have at least avoided their lowest ever total v New Zealand - 64 at Wellington 1977-78 (Wisden 2007 page 392).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harmison averts the king-pair, but I reckon it'll be over within another 10 overs. As I say - one thing left to hope for is Bell getting a n\o.

39 overs... shocking performance, really. Mills was pretty damn good at the top, but no more than that. Should have done better than this.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wisden also informs that this is the first time since 1991-92 that an English bowler has taken 10 wickets in a game v New Zealand. Phil Tufnell did it last at Christchurch (147/11).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder if I can find-out how many 10-fors ended in defeat... Manan, you reading this? Worth a look?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I wonder if I can find-out how many 10-fors ended in defeat... Manan, you reading this? Worth a look?
Page 393 of Wisden 2007 gives you the list of all the 8 instances of English bowlers takig 10 fors in tests v New Zealad. You can quick check from there on I think.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Might just be a job for the long-ish haul, tho.
Nah, it is pretty easy tbh. I have a book (Test records 1877-1999) which has, among other things, the results of each game played during the time. A quick look will give me the result but I am a bit lazy early Sunday morning right now. Will do it a bit later if no one comes up with it. There might be an an easier way via cricinfo though which I don't know about.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ch'rs John, me olde fella.

Sidebottom about the only player to emerge with credit from this game, methinks.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Patel in the wickets finally. Gee he's unlucky, bowled superbly yet little to no reward, drives me mad.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A look at the series results in Wisden comparing them with the seasons the bowlers took 10 fors in tells me that this is the first instance of England losing a game where a bowler from their team has taken a 10 for in England-New Zealand tests as in none of the series where bowlers have taken 10 fors have England lost even once. A fair bit of that would have to do with the very small number of times England have lost to New Zealand in tests.

Last edited: