• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could get rid of one thing from the cricketing scene...

If you could get rid of one thing:

• Total voters

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have to change society to eliminate victim mentality. It's not a problem isolated to cricket only.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
WRT Duckworth/Lewis, I feel broadly about it as Churchill did about democracy: it's the worst system, apart from all the others we've tried.

As for one thing I'd like to get rid of, well it's tempting to say "Ian Healy's commentary", but I can't really see a case for preserving umpiring errors like they're some quaint relic of a simpler age, so they get my vote.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Victim mentality
AWTA. HTFU. Applies to the rest of the planet too.

As for the options at hand, umpiring errors. I personally don't give a crap whether they exist or not per se but the whinging about them is just so boring.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
From the poll, ODIs, Indian franchise leagues and flat pitches all have a case. I'm not as fussed on umpiring errors as the pathetic whinging and moaning and constant scrutiny the umpires are put under due to them. After all, umpires are only human. Equally, I don't really think there's time in the international schedule for more warm-up games (scrapping ODIs would solve two of the above problems), but being able to field 13 players in such a match is ridiculous.

Went with ODIs in the end.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait a minute aren't minnows minnows because they do not have or have not had test stsus long enough to do anything worthwhile with it?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Duckworth Lewis for me.............saw pakistan sorta robbed of the finals birth in the U19 world cup.
:oops:Foot in mouth.........I did not see the final scores.......saw them at some 60-70 odd for 2 and then switched off.........then read somewhere that they lost.............assumed that it was because of Messrs. Duckworth-Lewis.........sorry....my bad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously, we'd like to see the last of that Duck-worth rain rule- it ruins the excitement of matches, which were played to win, not scrape through a rain rule.

We'd also like to have the bonus points system scrapped. Some teams have manipulated it resulting in dreadful cricket, with New Zealand in the 2002 VB Series being a prime example. Net Run Rates were a lot better, and made the scene more dicey.

As for pitches, I don't mind pitches that stay the sam for the whole match. It's those dreadful win-the-toss-win-the-match pitches I hate most. Some team wins the toss, and that other team has had it. The team winning bats first and scores huge on that flat afternoon deck, and under lights, the ball moves around and the pitch gets an uneven bounc, making it nearly impossible for the other team to chase successfully. Or a pitch where the winning team inserts the other to bat on a cold, windy morning, with the ball doing strange things, getting them out to a relatively low score, then blast their bowlers around as the conditions in the chase innings are perfect for batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeeys, I've never really known what I'd do if I could only pick 1 thing.

And yes, Gelman, you can add one more:
Dropped catches
:p

With that in mind, I'd probably stick 4 bits of paper in a hat and draw out one of: dropped catches, Umpiring errors, Twenty20 and substandard sides having Test and ODI status. And I'd seriously consider the number of un-bowler-friendly things (not just pitches, but cricket-balls) and the lack of 11-a-side, 4-day tour-games. Obviously I'd rather like to get rid of the ICL too.

Mind, a cure for dropped catches is something that'd take something currently beyond the capability of man. Maybe that'd be best. The rest (bar the removal of Twenty20) can all, and I do believe will all, be dealt with in due course.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gone with franchise leagues, though was sorely tempted by the last option tbh

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Less International Cricket for mine. Emphasis on State. Regardless of the $$$

haroon510

International 12th Man
Malcom Speed and some other baised and racest icc memebers who makes decision based on skin color still despite living in 21 century..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Flat tracks, easily.
Bully-style muscle/power batting. It's almost getting to the stage where I'd rather watch the women bat because they have to use their technique to score any runs.
Out of curiosity, when did you start watching cricket? Its not that recent a phenomenon, and I don't believe its that much more prominent than 5 years ago.

Last edited: