• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Slow Love™

International Captain
No, you can't, and from that point, the article loses all credibility.
Yeah, I think it does. The fuss about the catches actually surprises me, I'm probably not the first person to suspect that had everything else not happened, there wouldn't be a big issue about them. I read some posts last night outlining the laws that stated that technically they weren't quite right, but I certainly myself thought that Ponting had total control of the ball at the time he impacted the ground. I wouldn't object if an umpire gave it not-out by the letter of the law (had the umpire believed the ball had come off the glove) and that had been the focus of the decision, but I'm a bit taken aback at the certainty that some people have that Ponting was cheating in claiming it. It probably happens in games quite frequently with no questions being asked, I would have thought.

The Clarke one was harder to make out than that one, but again, I'm surprised at people's certainty on it, and I believe I have a pretty good eye.

awesam1981

Cricket Spectator
Re

I think the verdict is ridiculous too, from the facts that we've gathered.

However, there's no doubt that the usage of the word "monkey" is racist and Harbhajan is unforgivable if he did say it.

Proper protocol must be maintained at all times, and delivering a verdict based purely on one team's testimonies is setting a dangerous precedent (If it hadn't been set already during the Lehmann banning. Lehmann did come out and say he said it, and apologised, so he clearly admitted his guilt, which Harbhajan has not).
During the whole fiasco and watching the video evidence it is very clear that Symonds confronted Bhajji first and who knows what he might have said to provoke him?

The whole world knows that it was Zinedine Zidane who was punished for violence on a sports field but the person who provoked him walked away with no charge. It is very important for the ICC to take a few steps to curtail these issues. In short, if one party is provoking another, who is to blame?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Poor Bengalis ?! What do you mean when you say that? You do know the meaning of racist dont you ?

Coming back to the topic, there are thousands of other meanings to the word "Monkey". You just chose those meanings that suited you.

'Symonds did not get taunted with monkey calls because he is black. Countless West Indian teams have passed through India without hint of abuse. And black members of South African and England teams have never been singled out'
So just because some of those weren't singled out Harbajan couldn't have said something racist?

Calling a black man a monkey is racist. There is no two ways about it.

sideshowtim

Banned
So who has been worse? The umpires or the media? Or is it one of those 'chicken and egg' things?
Oh, the media and the fans surely.

I just cannot believe how much filth I am reading about the Australians being responsible for this. It's beyond a joke, and I do start to take it personally, because our cricket team's integrity is being wrongly called into question. We're being called cheats when we've done nothing wrong, and it really is starting to irk me.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah, I think it does. The fuss about the catches actually surprises me, I'm probably not the first person to suspect that had everything else not happened, there wouldn't be a big issue about them. I read some posts last night outlining the laws that stated that technically they weren't quite right, but I certainly myself thought that Ponting had total control of the ball at the time he impacted the ground. I wouldn't object if an umpire gave it not-out by the letter of the law (had the umpire believed the ball had come off the glove) and that had been the focus of the decision, but I'm a bit taken aback at the certainty that some people have that Ponting was cheating in claiming it. It probably happens in games quite frequently with no questions being asked, I would have thought.
I think it's fair to say that anyone claiming Ponting is a cheat for that catch hasn't been watching cricket for very long and is an idiot.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
During the whole fiasco and watching the video evidence it is very clear that Symonds confronted Bhajji first and who knows what he might have said to provoke him?

The whole world knows that it was Zinedine Zidane who was punished for violence on a sports field but the person who provoked him walked away with no charge. It is very important for the ICC to take a few steps to curtail these issues. In short, if one party is provoking another, who is to blame?
You comparing Roy to Materazzi? Fair enough I guess. But comparing Harbhajan to Zizou? :laugh:

sideshowtim

Banned

So if an Indian says to Ponting, "Hey Punter, you're a terrible batsman!", and then Ponting racially abused the Indian player, you'd be fine with both of them being given identical bans?

Evermind

International Debutant
I'm sure the ICC wouldn't ban someone for 3 matches unless they had sufficient evidence. Lehmann copped his ban on the chin and admitted he was a complete wanker. Time for Harby to do the same.
Agreed. I don't doubt that Harbhajan said it, at this point. It's highly unlikely that Symonds would make something like that up, and it's in piss poor spirit to say something you know is very personally insulting to someone in such circumstances.

Now let's get the Australian team to admit that they're all abusive and foul-mouthed, that it's wrong to bring that to the cricket field, and for them to make definite promises to completely cut that part of their behaviour out. Nothing less is acceptable.

Surely, it's deeply idiotic and hypocritical to crack down on comments made about a person's race but completely ignore abusive comments about his looks, family, personal history, genitals, brains and pretty much everything else. No swear words allowed and no personal abuse allowed would be a good start. It's done on the radio and it can be done on the field. Otherwise, this sort of selective policing is utterly meaningless.

sideshowtim

Banned
The umpires have certainly been worse. Fans and media are just doing their usual song and dance.
Not sure I've seen it this bad against the Australian team before though mate. Being serious here. Some of the flagrant lies, bullcrap and spin doctoring I've seen in the last couple of days is enough to make me sick. I'm really getting fed up with how much crap our team has been getting when we've done nothing wrong.

duffer

So if an Indian says to Ponting, "Hey Punter, you're a terrible batsman!", and then Ponting racially abused the Indian player, you'd be fine with both of them being given identical bans?
Substitute terrible batsman for bloody bastard of the like and it's fair enough I guess.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
why ponting should be banned

prem panicker throws in a new twist...:)
Oh dear, oh dear.

Two things that stand out for me -
1) The YouTube Video link provided there is a top replay. But the Star Sports commentary man? "He has picked the ball up off the turf." No actually, he has not.

2) The still of Ponting with the ball on the ground. Doesn't add/detract to either arguement, I find it comparable to a still of Murali's arm when bowling. Means nothing.

This one by Kaif may as well be illegial, when you pause it at 0:08 and 0:16, it's the same darn thing. Yet he's in control and it's a legit catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhZraoHWZE

And again by Hussain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5aXmyi614

They're all fine IMO.

Last edited:

duffer

Agreed. I don't doubt that Harbhajan said it, at this point. It's highly unlikely that Symonds would make something like that up, and it's in piss poor spirit to say something you know is very personally insulting to someone in such circumstances.

Now let's get the Australian team to admit that they're all abusive and foul-mouthed, that it's wrong to bring that to the cricket field, and for them to make definite promises to completely cut that part of their behaviour out. Nothing less is acceptable.

Surely, it's deeply idiotic and hypocritical to crack down on comments made about a person's race but completely ignore abusive comments about his looks, family, personal history, genitals, brains and pretty much everything else. No swear words allowed and no personal abuse allowed would be a good start. It's done on the radio and it can be done on the field. Otherwise, this sort of selective policing is utterly meaningless.
Quality post.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sometimes, with all the claims made by Indian posters here that Monkey is not used as a racial/ethnic slur in India, I wonder if we're dealing with one side of politics, or a class divide or issues that don't get raised in particular areas. Because I chose to look around the web back during the Aussie ODI tour of India when this all started, because the claim was being made so heatedly in the Indian media.

It didn't really take me very long to find accounts regarding how African students are treated in parts of India, or accounts from people of African/West Indian descent, who described being socially ostracised and "monkey" taunts. So I'm a bit puzzled by it all, TBH.

sideshowtim

Banned
Oh dear, oh dear.

Two things that stand out for me -
1) The YouTube Video link provided there is a top replay. But the Star Sports commentary man? "He has picked the ball up off the turf." No actually, he has not.

2) The still of Ponting with the ball on the ground. Doesn't add/detract to either arguement, I find it comparable to a still of Murali's arm when bowling. Means nothing.

This one by Kaif may as well be illegial, when you pause it at 0:08 and 0:16, it's the same darn thing. Yet he's in control and it's a legit catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhZraoHWZE
Good link at the end there. Just backs up that this thing happens ALL THE TIME and is given out. In both cases, Kaif and Ponting quite clearly have control of the ball. In any other match, no one would've cared about Ponting's appeal there. That is almost certainly a fact.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not sure I've seen it this bad against the Australian team before though mate. Being serious here. Some of the flagrant lies, bullcrap and spin doctoring I've seen in the last couple of days is enough to make me sick. I'm really getting fed up with how much crap our team has been getting when we've done nothing wrong.
Aussies have done plenty wrong, and so have the Indians. But thats beside the point. This is business as usual, the umpiring is what's been atrocious for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sometimes, with all the claims made by Indian posters here that Monkey is not used as a racial/ethnic slur in India, I wonder if we're dealing with one side of politics, or a class divide or issues that don't get raised in particular areas. Because I chose to look around the web back during the Aussie ODI tour of India when this all started, because the claim was being made so heatedly in the Indian media.

It didn't really take me very long to find accounts regarding how African students are treated in parts of India, or accounts from people of African/West Indian descent, who described being socially ostracised and "monkey" taunts. So I'm a bit puzzled by it all, TBH.
People who don't believe its racist are living in la-la land. It's simple as that.

duffer

They're certainly not being friendly by using the taunt but the connotations are nowhere near as sinister as they are if someone used it in an Anglo to African exchange. Definitely racist though

Socially ostracizing of minorities is not limited to India either.

pup11

International Coach
Well if someone else debuts, that means he can move out of batpad doesn't it? :laugh:
Apparently Jaques is a pretty dire when it comes to fielding and that he surely doesn't have the safest pair of hands either, but he is a superb batpad fieldsman and he is a bit like Boony in that sense, so even if someone makes a debut you can be rest assured Jaques won't moved from there.