• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Again - bastard and the f-bomb are not racism.
Exactly. They may well find them offensive, and have the right to complain about abusive language, but it's different from racism.

Anyone with in-depth knowledge (I could go look it up, but CBF) tell me, what level offences the most basic:
  • abusive language
  • racial abuse
offences are, and what the punishment for those are. Are they the same?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly. They may well find them offensive, and have the right to complain about abusive language, but it's different from racism.

Anyone with in-depth knowledge (I could go look it up, but CBF) tell me, what level offences the most basic:
  • abusive language
  • racial abuse
Different offences but both can be similarly damaging and hurtful depending on the person. Should carry similar penalties.

Evermind

International Debutant

• abusive language
  • racial abuse
Hitler vs Mussolini.

The Australian response is irrational, where one is said to be 100% ok and the other is 100% "bad". Let's call a spade a spade and call both of them reprehensible.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
A ban meted out (as far as I know) on the basis of one person's word against another. Not convincing.
I am saying, they can not afford to overturn the ban now the Indians have basically given an ultimatum.

And you can't know it was based solely on the word of one person against another's unless you were there, surely.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hitler vs Mussolini.

The Australian response is irrational, where one is said to be 100% ok and the other is 100% "bad". Let's call a spade a spade and call both of them reprehensible.
Sorry, but don't twist my question. I'm just asking whether or not they carry the same penalty according to ICC guidelines. Clearly I'm not saying that abusive language is OK here, I'm wondering if it carries the same weight of penalty as racial abuse.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmm, "There are two sides out there, only one is playing cricket", threats of tour boycotts and we haven't even reached Adelaide yet.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is a big test for all concerned. It will be interesting to see who blinks first. ICC has had a precedent earlier in the Hair-Inzy fiasco.....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Hitler vs Mussolini.

Different offences but both can be similarly damaging and hurtful depending on the person. Should carry similar penalties.
agree.
The aussies do not want to accept some other countries interpretation of what is valid or not but want everone to follow theirs.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interesting to see that if the Indian team do cancel the tour, what the ACB does? Do we have a couple of Australia v Australia A test matches? Does a replacement team get called over?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Again - bastard and the f-bomb are not racism.
You just dont want to get it, do you.
Racism is just one of the tools available to the verbal abuser.

Bigger question is: do we want to allow players to denigrate each other to gain temporary advantage by distracting your rivals.(Eg calling Inzi Aloo, no swear words, yet the same effect, was wrong by the same reason too).

Most other professional workplaces, and even other sports, do not allow such behavior. Now that this issue has come to the fore, good chance to clean it thoroughly. If Harbhajan and Hogg miss a game or two, so be it. (If proven in either case, hasnt happened yet).

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
agree.
The aussies do not want to accept some other countries interpretation of what is valid or not but want everone to follow theirs.
That isn't the case at all - the problem is you still haven't distinguished between abusive language and racism even though the difference has been illustrated towards you on countless occasions.

Nobody is saying one is OK and the other is wrong - there is just a very obvious distinction between calling someone a ****er and calling someone a monkey.

Evermind

International Debutant
Sorry, but don't twist my question. I'm just asking whether or not they carry the same penalty according to ICC guidelines. Clearly I'm not saying that abusive language is OK here, I'm wondering if it carries the same weight of penalty as racial abuse.
I'm not sure, but if we agree that both are offensive, then both should be banned. That's the only reasonable way to do it. The Australian have been getting away with abusive language in the past, and if that's put an end to, then "cricket's the winner", to talk in ICC-speak.

Evermind

International Debutant
Will be interesting to see that if the Indian team do cancel the tour, what the ACB does? Do we have a couple of Australia v Australia A test matches? Does a replacement team get called over?
Guaranteed that it'll be a much closer game at the WACA in that case. :laugh:

duffer

Who's available to come over? An Australia v Australia A series would be a huge letdown for me.

stephen

Hitler vs Mussolini.

I invoke goodwins law!

Seriously, if one cannot tell the difference between deliberately racist remarks and the use of language which is considered "crude" or "foul" then one should not be able to participate in a debate on ethics, law and punishment. Intent and meaning are implicit in the application of law. What Harbi said was intended as a racist comment because of both the intent and meaning of the words used, not because of the word itself. What Hogg said was a more crude term, but the intent and meaning behind it were not racist in nature, nor necessarily even abusive.

I really believe that most of the controversy has been caused by the Indian media blowing things out of proportion - exaggerating and twisting the meaning of events to pander to the masses who follow the religion of cricket in India.