• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because he didn't have to tell. He could have waited to see if his B samples conflicted with the A samples and if it didn't then it would have come out anyway. He didn't take that opportunity whereas someone who was really trying to deceive would have.
Yeah like the B sample was going to come back negative. He knew that he was caught and ACB was going to find it anyway, so he ran and told them before the B sample results came out. This was the only way he could save his face and escape harsher punishment. And he actually did escape a 2 year ban which would have ended his career.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am also talking about a 33 year old spinner named Murali, who took 10 months to recover from the same shulder surgery that Warne undergone (who have bowled similar number of balls to Warne by that time).
But they weren't the same; Warne's was a mechanical muscle/ligament injury, Murali's was to remove a cyst, surgery with a far longer recovery time. Yes Murali had torn ligaments in his previously but that injury itself certainly didn't take him 10 months to recover from in terms of playing again as he only missed part of a series. Sure Murali wasn't bowling at his best for some time but we'll never know whether it was the same with Warne because he didn't play after testing positive, of course. The ligament damage would have been healed after his year-long ban and time he spent back in the side bowling below his best was spent on the sidelines with the occasional net session.

Bull****. Stroids do not cause dependance. They cause adrenal suppression, bat that is only glucocorticoids like prednisolone and fludrocortisone. Anabolic stroids like stanonozol, dihydrotestosterone do not cause adrenal suppression. Prednisolone needs tapering off of the dose which is not equal to dependence. Anabolic steroids and mineralocorticoids do not need tapering off. Your argument is totally wrong.
Are you arguing that Warne only took steroids to recover from injury (possible) or are you also arguing that he took it for a much longer period of time to increase his on-field endurance? It's seriously hard to pick where you're coming from on this one. In addition, that only glucocorticoids and not anabolic streroids cause withdrawls is hardly set in stone as there's plenty of evidence in the literature to suggest otherwise. Definitely not as clear-cut as you make it seem. Anabolic steroids are always tapered-off if the doctor prescribing them has any sense of safety for his patient.

I hate to pull the qual card (and you sound like you'll have similar) but I do have a science degree with organic and P&I chem majors + I do weight training (without 'roids, thanks :)) so I reckon I'm in a decent position to comment. I've seen guys do 'roids for long periods and it's more than just indurance which increases. I can believe it a possibility that Warne used 'roids to enhance his recovery from his shoulder injury (although he would only just be on the park and just getting through his overs rather than actually bowling well because it builds muscle mass and I'd imagine wouldn't do much to ligament damage. His shoulder wouldn't be very stable) but long-term use? Mate, all the blokes I've been around on juice don't stay the same size, even with minimal or even toning weights work. They lose fat and gain muscular bulk. Warnie, even at his fittest, was too puffy in the face (without associated redness and acne) and shoulders too rounded (rather than chiselled) for me to assume he was juiced.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah like the B sample was going to come back negative. He knew that he was caught and ACB was going to find it anyway, so he ran and told them before the B sample results came out. This was the only way he could save his face and escape harsher punishment. And he actually did escape a 2 year ban which would have ended his career.
That's the part that irks me as well, it's such a blatant example of the board covering Warne's backside once again. Why not give the 2 year ban? They mentioned no specific circumstances that would cause the ban to be reduced. Just like the bookie scandal, the whole affair is hushed up and he ends up with no ban and only an $8000 fine, ridiculous.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bookies? More than one? You making up things as you go?
No I dont make up stuff. Here is what Tim De Lisle(Former editor of Wisden) wrote about Shane Warne in the Independent :-

"When match-fixing was threatening the game's fabric, it emerged that he had flirted with the illegal bookies. "

Cricinfo :- "...As a result of the investigation, Waugh was fined $ 10,000 and Warne $ 8000 - the fines both being set in excess of the money received from the bookies.... "

Anyways Bookie or Bookies, I am not really interested in the semantics game. You can play that game as much as you want.

The ACB had told the ICC at the time. The ICC also didn't bring out. So you don't trust M Waugh, Warne, ACB and the ICC.
Anyone who suppressed this isn't trustworthy, I dont care who it is.

Still has nothing to do with match-fixing.How did you make the jump from providing info to match-fixing? How does that make him a match-fixer?
If you are taking money from bookmakers and passing them information about team strategy and other stuff, then it is match fixing.

subshakerz

International Coach
Are you arguing that Warne only took steroids to recover from injury (possible) or are you also arguing that he took it for a much longer period of time to increase his on-field endurance? It's seriously hard to pick where you're coming from on this one.

I hate to pull the qual card but I do have a science degree with organic and P&I chem majors + I do weight training (without 'roids, thanks :)) so I reckon I'm in a decent position to comment. I've seen guys do 'roids for long periods and it's more than just indurance which increases. I can believe it a possibility that Warne used 'roids to enhance his recovery from his shoulder injury (although he would only just be on the park and just getting through his overs rather than actually bowling well because it builds muscle mass and I'd imagine wouldn't do much to ligament damage. His shoulder wouldn't be very stable) but long-term use? Mate, all the blokes I've been around on juice don't stay the same size, even with minimal or even toning weights work. They lose fat and gain muscular bulk. Warnie, even at his fittest, was too puffy in the face (without associated redness and acne) and shoulders too rounded (rather than chiselled) for me to assume he was juiced.
I believe he was replying to a comment that steroids arent something you can take once without gaining a dependence on them.

subshakerz

International Coach
If you are taking money from bookmakers and passing them information about team strategy and other stuff, then it is match fixing.
While I find it deplorable, I'm not sure its match-fixing, as it doesnt deliberately alter the result of the match. I do agree with you that there is much more to the story than what the ACB coughed out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While I find it deplorable, I'm not sure its match-fixing, as it doesnt deliberately alter the result of the match. I do agree with you that there is much more to the story than what the ACB coughed out.
Well in that case, Azhar, Cronje etc weren't match fixers either.

Top_Cat

I believe he was replying to a comment that steroids arent something you can take once without gaining a dependence on them.
Which is fairly strongly debateable and certainly not as clear-cut as 'steroid type A needs tapering but B doesn't'. There's plenty of evidence for anabolic steroid withdrawals. A quick journal search shows that at the very least it's unclear whether anabolic androgenic steroids result in withdrawls.

Dammit, Uni link is down so I can't get to references.

Top_Cat

Err, Cronje deliberately gave money to players to fail and he was captain. Bit different to providing info. What Warne did was ethically suspect, sure, but he and guys like Cronje don't fit into the same box.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Err, Cronje deliberately gave money to players to fail and he was captain. Bit different to providing info. What Warne did was ethically suspect, sure, but he and guys like Cronje don't fit into the same box.
Who knows what Info warne was selling. If he was selling team strategies(which I have no doubt he was) to the bookies (who would eventually pass it on to opposing captains) then it is fixing games.

Besides how many matches are there that SA lost because Cronje offered money to his players to lose ?

Migara

International Coach
I hate to pull the qual card (and you sound like you'll have similar) but I do have a science degree with organic and P&I chem majors + I do weight training (without 'roids, thanks ) so I reckon I'm in a decent position to comment. I've seen guys do 'roids for long periods and it's more than just indurance which increases.
And if you are really doubting who am I, I am a post-graduate trainee of Clinical Medcine, graduated from Faculty Medical Sciences, University of Colombo.

Anabolic steroids are only prescribed in illnesses. Not to recover from injury. (Check Austrailian / British National Formulary)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Besides how many matches are there that SA lost because Cronje offered money to his players to lose ?
I'm not sure anyone knows the exact answer to that question, but he accepted money for himself to ensure that a Test Match wasn't drawn which puts him waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of people who gave team, weather or pitch information.

JBH001

International Regular
I hate to pull the qual card (and you sound like you'll have similar) but I do have a science degree with organic and P&I chem majors + I do weight training (without 'roids, thanks :)... Mate, all the blokes I've been around on juice don't stay the same size, even with minimal or even toning weights work. They lose fat and gain muscular bulk. Warnie, even at his fittest, was too puffy in the face (without associated redness and acne) and shoulders too rounded (rather than chiselled) for me to assume he was juiced.
I am into training myself (though dont know much about roids). Is this strictly right? Surely hypertrophy of some substantial kind needs to occur in order to lead to gains in muscle?

JBH001

International Regular
I hate to pull the qual card (and you sound like you'll have similar) but I do have a science degree with organic and P&I chem majors + I do weight training (without 'roids, thanks :)... Mate, all the blokes I've been around on juice don't stay the same size, even with minimal or even toning weights work. They lose fat and gain muscular bulk. Warnie, even at his fittest, was too puffy in the face (without associated redness and acne) and shoulders too rounded (rather than chiselled) for me to assume he was juiced.
I am into training myself (though dont know much about roids). Is this strictly right? Surely hypertrophy of some substantial kind needs to occur in order to lead to gains in muscle?

Also, thanks for the discussion. I never knew enough about what exactly happened back then to make a definitive opinion, but some of the comments here have really caused me to question Warne's credibility on this issue in a big way.

Thanks for all the informed comment.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But still losing weight is not an indication for HCT. Look at British National Formulary or Australian Hospital Formulary for the indications of HCT.
No one has said it helped him lose weight. It would help him to appear thin.

Two tablets means 50mg. It will let loose about 2 liters of fluid. 2kg out of a 70+ kg man. Looking thinner? What a comical weight reduction!:laugh: :laugh: (diuretic dose is 50mg two times daily so that means he was not taking it for the diuretic action. He was using it to cheat)
Ah, that's assuming he was using it for cheating and not for the fluid loss. For which 2 tablets would suffice.

I am also talking about a 33 year old spinner named Murali, who took 10 months to recover from the same shulder surgery that Warne undergone (who have bowled similar number of balls to Warne by that time).
Remeber that cricketers can only go up to late thirties maximum, so the additional time that ther get from using steroids is used to get back on form. For a 33 year old six months is a big time in their careers.

He was getting in to form using that extra time.
Erm, yeah, I think these were answered by Top Cat well.

HCT has a half life of 8 hours. By 40 hours only 0.1% of the drug will remain in the body. So the tests will become negative. No big deal about it.
So taking 2 pills on the verge of a match can be detected? If so, good. Makes it actually plausible as a last 'minute' beautification.

And I was talking about the steroids he supposedly took. I've read everywhere, at the least steroids effect your body in some adverse way. Many ways. For Warne to test completely the same as he did prior to being tested positive for diuretics would indicate that was indeed all he took.

Bull****. Stroids do not cause dependance. They cause adrenal suppression, bat that is only glucocorticoids like prednisolone and fludrocortisone. Anabolic stroids like stanonozol, dihydrotestosterone do not cause adrenal suppression. Prednisolone needs tapering off of the dose which is not equal to dependence. Anabolic steroids and mineralocorticoids do not need tapering off. Your argument is totally wrong.
Even a novice on the subject like me knows that you can gain dependence and tolerance on anabolic steroids.

http://www.cesar.umd.edu/cesar/drugs/steroids.asp

Each user experiences their own unique feelings when using steroids and coming off the drug. When someone chooses to stop using they can experience a variety of withdrawal symptoms linked to addiction. Symptoms can include mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, reduced *** drive, the desire to take more steroids, and depression. Evidence for steroid addiction is certainly not as strong as it is for other drugs like cocaine or heroin. Though it is clear that people develop a tolerance and dependence on them and willingly experience negative consequences when using steroids - both of which are signs for drug dependence.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If it was or wasn't we won't know. The fact that he did do that extricates him from the kind of villainy you suggest.

No I dont make up stuff. Here is what Tim De Lisle(Former editor of Wisden) wrote about Shane Warne in the Independent :-

"When match-fixing was threatening the game's fabric, it emerged that he had flirted with the illegal bookies. "

Cricinfo :- "...As a result of the investigation, Waugh was fined $ 10,000 and Warne $ 8000 - the fines both being set in excess of the money received from the bookies.... "
I can't locate that article, nor can I locate another bookie that he was supposed to have given info to.

Anyways Bookie or Bookies, I am not really interested in the semantics game. You can play that game as much as you want.
No one's playing that game. You seem to be making things up as you go. I was just interested where this other bookie was supposed to be from.

Anyone who suppressed this isn't trustworthy, I dont care who it is.
So, ICC, ACB and the players aren't trustworthy. Alright, what does this have to do with match-fixing?

Uh, no, you're not. Because it has 0 effect on the outcome of the game.

Um, huge difference. I can't believe you even made a connection.

Who knows what Info warne was selling. If he was selling team strategies(which I have no doubt he was) to the bookies (who would eventually pass it on to opposing captains) then it is fixing games.

As I thought, making things up as you go. No doubt he was selling the team's strategies? You're ridiculous. This is what I have a problem with: bull****.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I can't locate that article, nor can I locate another bookie that he was supposed to have given info to.
The problem is with your Internet surfing skills, if you cant locate those articles. The way you have been defending Warne, I dont think it would make any difference to your opinion even If I provided you those links.

Shane Warne's contact with 'Bookies' is not a figment of my imagination, it has been used by cricket authors and administrators for long time, I certainly dont make things up on my own. You can chose to believe whatever you want to and live the denial land as much as you want to.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Warne's performance was slipping before he started taking Steroids.

Warne's performance between 1998-2001 (4 years) :-

35 tests, 135 wickets, avg. 32.25, SR - 65.3

His performance 2002 onwards :-

48 Tests, 284 Wickets, Avg. 23.52, SR - 48.2

Heck That's (Barry) Bondsque difference in his performance.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure anyone knows the exact answer to that question, but he accepted money for himself to ensure that a Test Match wasn't drawn which puts him waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of people who gave team, weather or pitch information.
Ofcourse and that's why I said that Warne doesn't belong in the category of Azhar, Cronze, Malik etc.