• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

iamdavid

International Debutant
I cant split them, get the impression Murali has a slight edge over Warne in terms of his raw physical talents (ie the spin he is able to impart on the ball and unique variations he has developed), however Warne is ahead in the mental stakes ,I never, ever, at any stage of Warne's career (even against India in 01 or the Windies in 99) got the impression that he was beaten or out of ideas, the most patient and cunning bowler I have seen.

Scotty

Banned
there is no doubt in my mind that warne was the much better cricketer out of the two. however, murali was the slightly better bowler. in saying that, i think if warne was brought up on sub continent pitches like murali was, and warne played the same amount of matches murali played on sub continent pitches, then warne would quite comfortably be the better bowler.

we've seen what happens when murali came to australia, he quite often struggled against australia on our pitches, however warne could dominate on even the most anti-spin pitches. ignoring all that though, the stats are there - murali was/is the better bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
trying to keep the thing serious, I think we have all seen just about all the stats and all the various possible inferences one can draw from them and honestly, just like the Sachin Vs Lara debate, AFAIC, there is very little to split between the two statistically. The men have NOT played in similar conditions all the time and there are reasons that can be given for each and every one of their successes and failures...

At the end of the day, for me, Warne is 5% more likely to bounce back after a pounding and produce a great match changing spell out of nowhere than Murali and Murali is 5% more likely than Warne to NOT have an off day.... It comes down to your personal preference... For instance, in selecting a World XI, if I pick an attack of McGrath, Akram and Ambrose, then I would definitely want Warne as my spinner because I want that 5% more of match winning ability than the 5% extra consistency.. But if my attack was Akram, Marshall and Younis (at his peak, that is), then I would want Murali simply because in that case I would value that 5% more consistency higher..... It comes down to personal preference and I don't think there is any real way one can be claimed to be better than the other unequivocally...

shortpitched713

International Captain
trying to keep the thing serious, I think we have all seen just about all the stats and all the various possible inferences one can draw from them and honestly, just like the Sachin Vs Lara debate, AFAIC, there is very little to split between the two statistically.
I have great respect for both of the players as bowlers, but I have to disagree. By any non-inane statistical analysis Murali comes out on top.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh always thought warne was a chucker, i guess he was the real winner as the ICC never banned him for it.

btw, hinton rules, or is e, i forget which.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They both have holes in their resumes, but statistically Murali exceeds Warne is far more categories than vice versa, even with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe removed.
Er no.

If you are taking into account B & Z, take into account how much bowling at home for most of your games has done to Murali's record. If you weigh things evenly, they're so close it'd hardly sway the discussion either way. Minus B & Z, exchange homes for Warne and Murali (of which in both cases Warne has a better record and it's slightly giving Murali more rope) and you will see that even a 'statistical' argument will not win it for Murali.