• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That's fair enough. I thought you were a big O'Reilly fan, or was that archie?
I am a bigger Grimmett fan than Orielly's. I think I am influenced by Orielly not being an orthodox leg spinner who flighted the ball. The two of them were different from each other something like Kumble and warne are or Chandra and Gupte were.

My ultra conservative leanings make me lean towards Grimmett I suppose. Clearly they were both masters.

I also posess a book by Grimmett, an original edition, and am very impressed by the soundness of his simple approach to the technique of bowling in general and leg spin bowling in particular.

Maybe Bradman's shabby treatment of Grimmett also influences my feelings towards him.

There are always more reasons for one's preferences than one is willing to admit. :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The Tiger himself never forgave Bradman for dropping Grimmett before the 1936/37 series. Which is probably fair enough, given that Grimmet's previous 5 Tests had yielded 44 wickets, including 10 or more in each of his last 3!

And for all that, The Don was never shy in his praise for Grimmett, calling him the greatest slow leg break bowler he ever saw and choosing him in his all time XI ahead of Warne.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I'd vote for a permanent ban on the next person who resorts to a piece of personal abuse in a Murali-Warne argument! ;)
You recall INCORRECTLY, once AGAIN. You're embarrassing your own argument. You obviously didn't see the Test at all, in fact, after this second blunder I am tending to think you're blind and someone types for you as you chatter away.

I'd say you talk a load of bull just as it is.
Your Rambling garbage of post is as confusing as most of your Split reasonings that are acceptable for Warne but not for Murali...and I don't see they are worth replying to ... because they are as confusing as your posts....
Please guys, don't dire up a thread that could be interesting by not being able to converse in a mature way with each other. Its actually really annoying, and I doubt I'll be alone in considering reporting posts if it keeps up.

EDIT: Pleased to see you've called a truce a few posts up.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Please guys, don't dire up a thread that could be interesting by not being able to converse in a mature way with each other. Its actually really annoying, and I doubt I'll be alone in considering reporting posts if it keeps up.

EDIT: Pleased to see you've called a truce a few posts up.
You're right Matt, I apologise again. I was just replying with the same tone that was being afforded to me - but that is childish too, so I accept my doing. But on that note, I am tired of having my integrity or my intelligence questioned when I have an opinion on something that some disagree with. And then when I go through great lengths to prove what I say is actually intelligible, I'm still called clueless.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Perhaps I am taking too much of a simplistic view here, but in my opinion, the advantages and disadvantages of being a lone ranger and a hunter in a pack are like finishing a big project on your own and in a team.

The thing is, a lone ranger can always get the credit he deserves because it is obvious that he is the only one doing it.... On the other hand, if a group of guys get together and finish a project, it means that somehow one may get more credit than one deserves and another may get less credit than what he actually deserves. On the other hand, while working in a team can make things quite a bit easier and also more fun, working alone is really damn difficult.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I think one could almost go so far as to say that's the purpose of this thread. Things can go around in circles as much as you want - I've no desire to read it doing so as I've stated many times that the two cannot be split IMO, so I can leave people who wish to do so to it and rest safe that it will not invade any other threads. And the odd few "stupid"s, "fool"s and "numpty"s, while regrettable, are pretty much inevitable.

We see the same with C_C and social in this thread's previous innings, although where the former was involved, such things were common and many posters had issues with him.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Warne vs Murali- the real winner

I have worked out who is the best bowler by doing some elimination i have discount Muralis and Warnes records against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Murail took 163 wickets against both minnows
Warne took just 17 against both minnows

This does change things and it proves once and for all Warne is simply the greatest Spin Bowler or indeed the greatest bowler of all time

States

Shane Warne

Overs 6644
Runs 17560
Wickets 691
Average 25.41
RPO 2.64

Muttiah Muralitharan

Overs 5631
Runs 13098
Wickets 550
Average 23.81
RPO 2.34

But this shows that Warne Could have played more against the weaker nations but Australia decided to play bigger teams year in year out, while Muttiah Muralitharan got cheap wickets.

Shane Warne is Number 1

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have worked out who is the best bowler by doing some elimination i have discount Muralis and Warnes records against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

This does change things and it proves once and for all Warne is simply the greatest Spin Bowler or indeed the greatest bowler of all time

States

Shane Warne

Overs 6644
Runs 17560
Wickets 691
Average 25.41
RPO 2.64

Muttiah Muralitharan

Overs 5631
Runs 13098
Wickets 550
Average 23.81
RPO 2.34

But this shows that Warne Could have played more against the weaker nations but Australia decided to play bigger teams year in year out, while Muttiah Muralitharan got cheap wickets.

Shane Warne is Number 1
h

Lostman

State Captain

States

Shane Warne

Overs 6644
Runs 17560
Wickets 691
Average 25.41
RPO 2.64

Muttiah Muralitharan

Overs 5631
Runs 13098
Wickets 550
Average 23.81
RPO 2.34

Shane Warne is Number 1
Since when did English wickets count as real wickets?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well done for restarting a debate on which everything that could possibly be said has already been said, and one which will no doubt prompt AMZ to post his 16 points again.

My opinions are probably well known on the forum.