• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

pup11

International Coach
Debatable, without his knock you wouldn't have got close and you never know what the next overs would've been like.

Sounded like a good game, bloody sky tv.
Nah... I am not saying that Symonds's innings was bad, its just that he played a dire shot at that juncture its hardly a high percentage shot since even if that shot comes off he would get 1 or 2 runs but the risk is too big.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought there was a little doubt with Ponting's dismissal, but Hodge's was definitely out.

Hopes was great for Australia, and just a shame that Hodge wasted so many deliveries he could have faced.

pasag

RTDAS
Well done India, but from an Australia point of view, the selectors lost that one for us. I really rate Hodge as an ODI player but its madness he was selected when clearly out form for one for the most in-form players of the tournament, Haddin. Good match though, going back to watch the last hour now.

To their credit, India seem to be doing very well in the crunch games recently, like in England (although ultimately falling at the final hurdle) and the Twenty20s, if you want to include that. Always a very good sign for a team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well done India, but from an Australia point of view, the selectors lost that one for us. I really rate Hodge as an ODI player but its madness he was selected when clearly out form for one for the most in-form players of the tournament, Haddin. Good match though, going back to watch the last hour now.

To their credit, India seem to be doing very well in the crunch games recently, like in England (although ultimately falling at the final hurdle) and the Twenty20s, if you want to include that. Always a very good sign for a team.
To be true to your avatar you should probably be a little harsher on your own team.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
:p at Turb.

Anyway, well done India for getting on the board - deserved it today. The contrast between how well India did in their last five overs with the ball and Australia's effort was pretty stark.

Both Ponting and Hodge were out, and it was very good work by Dhoni to get them out - a matter of centi-, if not millimetres, both times but that can be what is required to beat this Aussie team.

The extras count for Australia was ridiculous and will need to be addressed to ensure it isn't repeated. Bracken will hopefully be better for the run and will have today had the ring rust beaten off him.

Hayden and Symonds were brilliant, as they have been for most of series, although Hayden's dismissal was very ugly.

It pains me to say, because I've been a big, if somewhat biased, fan of Hodge's, but the man is hideously out of form, and I think he's been carried long enough - India have shown they are too good a team to be carrying a batsman so badly out of touch against. He should be rested in favour of Haddin for the next couple of games. The game was still very very winnable when he came to the crease - by the time he'd finished stinking up the place and Dhoni did Australia a favour and got him out, something much more special from Symonds was required. If nothing else, the contrast between Symonds and Hodge this series has probably resolved the #6 position for the first test against SL - Symonds looks in as good a patch of form as he's ever had, while Hodge is in the reverse situation.

All this talk about Australia is to ignore how well the Indians did. Tendulkar answered some critics, but it was Kartik, Harbajhan and RP Singh who really impressed me. After Singh's earlier travails, I greated his return at a crunch point in the final overs with some joy - finally some easy runs! Instead Singh made a brilliant comeback. His dismissal of Symonds was a wicket that should be shared by the entire Indian attack - boundaries were like hen's teeth, and in the end Symonds had to try something and was pressured into a nothing shot rather than a big one. But Singh's run-out of Hogg was his alone and it was fantastic. Going for so few runs in that situation was a match-winning effort by him. Harbajhan finally got a wicket, and again bowled well. Kartik was inspiring with his preparedness to attack and turn the Aussie's aggressiveness against themselves. Uthappa's fielding at long-on deserves a mention too, I reckon he saved ten runs by turning bounaries into ones or twos.

I thought Hopes did well with the bat - given how well the Indian's bowled and fielded, exemplified by Symonds' inability to strike at more than a run a ball in the last few overs, Hopes was always going to struggle once the equation became 22 off 12 balls. But unlike Hodge, he came in, rotated strike and helped rather than hindered Symonds.

I'd persist with Bracken, but Hodge deserves to make way for Haddin for the next match.

Roll on game 5 - the series is suddenly more interesting!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow. Cannot believe we won that. Turned my laptop off at uni with Symonds and Hopes still in.

Then I get an sms from my dad around 20 minutes later saying India won. Frickin' brilliant!

Hodge's international career should surely be dead now (never minded him in test cricket, but never rated him in ODI cricket). He was horrible from what I followed on Cricinfo.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia have to look ata reason for their loss I think they should look at the 'even keel' of their run rate.

Having got to 85 for 1 in 11 overs (with four big overs yielding between 10 to 16 runs), they did not have a single over 0f even 10 runs in the next 39. Its amazing. This with Hayden playing 55 balls and Symonds his entire 85 balls after that ! 23 of the 39 overs were played by these two and yest Australia failed to better the one 9 ball over they had.

I dont think the Indian bowling was good enough to deserve this kind of respect. It was inexplicabble. I can only think that Australia were very content to cruise along. This did not leave them with any margin at all.

Mister Wright

:p at Turb.

Anyway, well done India for getting on the board - deserved it today. The contrast between how well India did in their last five overs with the ball and Australia's effort was pretty stark.

Both Ponting and Hodge were out, and it was very good work by Dhoni to get them out - a matter of centi-, if not millimetres, both times but that can be what is required to beat this Aussie team.

The extras count for Australia was ridiculous and will need to be addressed to ensure it isn't repeated. Bracken will hopefully be better for the run and will have today had the ring rust beaten off him.

Hayden and Symonds were brilliant, as they have been for most of series, although Hayden's dismissal was very ugly.

It pains me to say, because I've been a big, if somewhat biased, fan of Hodge's, but the man is hideously out of form, and I think he's been carried long enough - India have shown they are too good a team to be carrying a batsman so badly out of touch against. He should be rested in favour of Haddin for the next couple of games. The game was still very very winnable when he came to the crease - by the time he'd finished stinking up the place and Dhoni did Australia a favour and got him out, something much more special from Symonds was required. If nothing else, the contrast between Symonds and Hodge this series has probably resolved the #6 position for the first test against SL - Symonds looks in as good a patch of form as he's ever had, while Hodge is in the reverse situation.

All this talk about Australia is to ignore how well the Indians did. Tendulkar answered some critics, but it was Kartik, Harbajhan and RP Singh who really impressed me. After Singh's earlier travails, I greated his return at a crunch point in the final overs with some joy - finally some easy runs! Instead Singh made a brilliant comeback. His dismissal of Symonds was a wicket that should be shared by the entire Indian attack - boundaries were like hen's teeth, and in the end Symonds had to try something and was pressured into a nothing shot rather than a big one. But Singh's run-out of Hogg was his alone and it was fantastic. Going for so few runs in that situation was a match-winning effort by him. Harbajhan finally got a wicket, and again bowled well. Kartik was inspiring with his preparedness to attack and turn the Aussie's aggressiveness against themselves. Uthappa's fielding at long-on deserves a mention too, I reckon he saved ten runs by turning bounaries into ones or twos.

I thought Hopes did well with the bat - given how well the Indian's bowled and fielded, exemplified by Symonds' inability to strike at more than a run a ball in the last few overs, Hopes was always going to struggle once the equation became 22 off 12 balls. But unlike Hodge, he came in, rotated strike and helped rather than hindered Symonds.

I'd persist with Bracken, but Hodge deserves to make way for Haddin for the next match.

Roll on game 5 - the series is suddenly more interesting!

This post exemplifies the reason why I put aside my 5 line attention span for you posts. There's not many worthy of that honour....:ph34r: Not that anyone cares really. Great post, summed it all up well.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia have to look ata reason for their loss I think they should look at the 'even keel' of their run rate.

Having got to 85 for 1 in 11 overs (with four big overs yielding between 10 to 16 runs), they did not have a single over 0f even 10 runs in the next 39. Its amazing. This with Hayden playing 55 balls and Symonds his entire 85 balls after that ! 23 of the 39 overs were played by these two and yest Australia failed to better the one 9 ball over they had.

I dont think the Indian bowling was good enough to deserve this kind of respect. It was inexplicabble. I can only think that Australia were very content to cruise along. This did not leave them with any margin at all.
Think you underrate India's bowling and fielding effort SJS. They just kept on getting a wicket (which is what they failed to do in the previous matches) and made boundaries very hard work - as I said, the spinners did very well in ensuring they weren't fodder for Hayden and Symonds.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater

Actually i thought Ponting should get a fair bit of blame for this, not just the selectors. Brett Lee didn't bowl his full quota when he was the pick of the bowlers although he didn't get a wicket. He should have been first choice preference ahead of Bracken by a long shot especially for the fact that Bracken didn't do anything extrodinary.

Mister Wright

Despite him not getting a wicket I thought Khan was brilliant. His bowling might not have been his best, but his effort in the field was fantastic. Not just the two catches, but he did save a fair few runs. Was thinking he should get MOTM until I remembered what Dhoni did.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
^^ Probably true today, but for the past year Bracken has been a better death bowler than Lee I'd have said.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Despite him not getting a wicket I thought Khan was brilliant. His bowling might not have been his best, but his effort in the field was fantastic. Not just the two catches, but he did save a fair few runs. Was thinking he should get MOTM until I remembered what Dhoni did.
Forgot to mention what a brilliant overall game Dhoni had. Took responsibility to bat up the order - brilliantly. As mentioned, his glove work was brilliant. And his handling of the field and his bowlers - especially keeping faith with the less established guys - was... brilliant.