• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lame. Stop ****ing with people's discussions.
Hardly, I think the calls for those posts to be moved were fair. Once again we have to put up with Murali v Warne invading another thread. Now hopefully we can get back to some discussion on Warne's list.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Warney's ability to court controversy and genrate unrivalled levels of discussion and media interest shows no signs of abating.

Laxman is the big surprise for me, it wasn't as though his 281 was a one off - he made his name with that brilliant 167 18 months earlier in Australia, and then two more big hundreds in the 2003/2004 series in Australia as well. Very, very few men have played four such superlative innings against the modern Australians.

Not the least surprised about the omission of Inzy, it's no great secret that he's not rated particularly highly by the Australian dressing room, as much as they respect what he's achieved in his cricket career as a whole.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Fair list from Warne, other than the exclusion of Laxman & some players being surprisingly lower & higher than some based on my good knowledge of the great man's career i'll live with this 50.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The “keg on legs” was a wonderful player, a rock-solid citizen and outstanding fielder at bat-pad

Hahaha:laugh:

Nearly as funny as Tim May being ranked ahead of AAD...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fair list from Warne, other than the exclusion of Laxman & some players being surprisingly lower & higher than some based on my good knowledge of the great man's career i'll live with this 50.
Absolutely. I cant think of another list being made by anyone else (except maybe myself and even that is doubtful) which I would have more defferences with. The two non-international cricketers excepted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robert Craddock said:
Mark Waugh (12) and Sri Lanka's Aravinda de Silva (19) would consider themselves blessed to be higher up the ladder than Gilchrist, a far superior player to both.
Jeeys, what rubbish. Gilchrist may be better than both, but far better? Go to hell was he "far" better than Aravinda.
Robert Craddock said:
It sounds easy to do but it has been beyond many fragmented England, West Indian, Indian and Pakistan teams of the same era.
WTF? So his knowledge of the inside works of England in the period is intimate, is it?
Stephen Waugh said:
When I first saw what he wrote about me I thought there must have been a mistake and someone had accidentally put Shane name's to an article by Ian Chappell
:laugh::lol:
Robert Craddock said:
there was little warmth in the relationship between Gilchrist and Warne because they were men of contrasting styles – the wholesome family man and the reckless cavalier whose lives rarely met in the middle.
Beaten to it by Ritchie

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why doesn't Ian Chappell like Waugh?
Can't remember the exact reasoning at the moment, but they haven't got on for a very long time.
Stephen Waugh said:
It might have been that I praised the work of Bob Simpson, who was his sworn enemy, or that I didn't spend hours in the bar drinking and regurgitating old cricket stories.
Is Waugh's summary of it, after saying it baffled him why Chappell snr didn't like him. Nothing big, basically - just two totally different people who've had reason to grind axe.