• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name sports you cannot bear to watch

Fiery

Banned
Any "Extreme sport"....such pap. Watching guys flip motorbikes and somersault on skateboards wears thin after seeing one

Bronte

Cricket Spectator
I'm pretty new to this forum,and I have just read this section,(all 9 pages ) and I find it amazing that no one has found Syncronised swimming as boring,this,along with water polo,horse racing,baseball,gridiron(how I detest this apology for sport) and Ice hockey, I find boring,and are never allowed to "darken my TV screen.

PS Equestrian events are pretty dull too.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like what? They peddle a bike
DWTA. Obviously you're a fan of cycling, but I think most people with little interest in either sport would prefer to watch athletics.
Cycling has masses of strategy. Whereas watching the javelin it's literally 'i'm going to throw it as far as i can', with running events 'i'm going to run as fast as i can'. Cycling has a much more subtle art to it than purely 'i'm going to pedal as fast as i can'.

pasag

RTDAS
Cycling has masses of strategy. Whereas watching the javelin it's literally 'i'm going to throw it as far as i can', with running events 'i'm going to run as fast as i can'. Cycling has a much more subtle art to it than purely 'i'm going to pedal as fast as i can'.
Cycling makes you want to blow your brains out, athletics doesn't. Clear cut for mine.

Matteh

Cycling makes you want to blow your brains out, athletics doesn't. Clear cut for mine.
Long distance running is literally the most boring thing the BBC shows. A load of guys jogging around a track for 20 minutes and the one who can jog for the longest wins.

Bronte

Cricket Spectator

Matteh,I TOTALLY agree with you. masses of strategy needed to win a race like the TDF and similar races.

Perm

Long distance running is literally the most boring thing the BBC shows. A load of guys jogging around a track for 20 minutes and the one who can jog for the longest wins.
That's only a small portion of athletics though.

Josh

International Regular
I'm pretty new to this forum,and I have just read this section,(all 9 pages ) and I find it amazing that no one has found Syncronised swimming as boring,this,along with water polo,horse racing,baseball,gridiron(how I detest this apology for sport) and Ice hockey, I find boring,and are never allowed to "darken my TV screen.

PS Equestrian events are pretty dull too.
Re-read the very first post and it might tell you why...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You do realise there are subtle aspects to athetics as well. Javelin for example you have three throws, so no one goes out their and trys to throw it as hard as possible each throw. They just build up to their last throw. Also you would be surprised how much they take wind calculations into account.

Also in sprinting tactics play as big a role, even in the hundred metres. Most runners either hold back slightly in the first 30, or go all out in the mid 40 or go all out in the last 30. There no runner that would do all out for the whole 100 metres.

Cycling has more specific tactics, but its boring as hell. I don't mind track spinting but i hate the Tour de France and other road races. You just fall asleep after 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Matteh

You do realise there are subtle aspects to athetics as well. Javelin for example you have three throws, so no one goes out their and trys to throw it as hard as possible each throw. They just build up to their last throw. Also you would be surprised how much they take wind calculations into account.

Also in sprinting tactics play as big a role, even in the hundred metres. Most runners either hold back slightly in the first 30, or go all out in the mid 40 or go all out in the last 30. There no runner that would do all out for the whole 100 metres.

Cycling has more specific tactics, but its boring as hell. I don't mind track spinting but i hate the Tour de France and other road races. You just fall asleep after 30 minutes.
It lasts 10 seconds though. Think it's practically impossible to get bored of watching something that lasts ten seconds.

It's also not really a subtle strategy when javeliners work up to their last throw, seems blatantly obvious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What would be on instead? The Asian under 15 football championships? Athletics? Cycling > age group national tournaments.
TBF the full Asian Championships wasn't even covered over here, which I thought was pretty disappointing.

& personally I don't think cycling lends itself to telly very well because of the nature of the sport. If it wasn't for the commentators & the graphics telling the viewers what's going on it'd just be one anguished looking skinny bloke followed by several dozen more of his lycra-clad, sroctally-hardened brethren.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It lacks credibility for me and is an absolutely dire sport.. I know there are drugs problems in all kinds of sports, but its like everyone is cheating out there... It can't be much of an event if people are so willing to sell it out..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It lasts 10 seconds though. Think it's practically impossible to get bored of watching something that lasts ten seconds.

It's also not really a subtle strategy when javeliners work up to their last throw, seems blatantly obvious.
I rather watch a sport where tactics can influence an event straight away rather then wait two hours for it to make an impact. There not much going on most of the time in road cycling. If it wasn't for the hype surrounding the TDF no one would watch it. I've seen on Fox and SBS here they have some coverage of say the Tour of Italy (or whatever they call it) and no one really pays any attention to it. A couple years back they had full coverage of some stages in that event and now they dropped it back to an hour highlights. Whereas you can still get full coverage of the Golden League Athetics on Fox, as it rates a hell of a lot better.

Josh

International Regular
I rather watch a sport where tactics can influence an event straight away rather then wait two hours for it to make an impact. There not much going on most of the time in road cycling. If it wasn't for the hype surrounding the TDF no one would watch it.
I prefer that build up of anticipation, tbh. Watching sports that last seconds are terrible for me. It's good to watch test cricket, because 5 days (well, maybe not in modern times) of toing and froing in each team's favour building up to a final result that can still be so unpredictable. AFL is the same, you never know if a team is going to switch on for a quarter, or a half. Cycling is a classic example. It's so exciting and intreaguing. The drug thing might be there, but somehow it adds to the excitement "who's gonna be found cheating next" lol

Most athletics events don't have this kind of anticipation and thrill. Marathons and long distance running I can stand watching, but the sprints just absolutely **** me up the wall. Fair enough the spectacle of it all when it's on a world stage is quite something, but the actual event itself is kind of an anti-climax.

Of course, this is all opinion, and I'm not attacking things, just providing the side of the argument for those who prefer some sort of lengthy strategic battle for excitement.

Josh

International Regular
I prefer that build up of anticipation, tbh. Watching sports that last seconds are terrible for me. It's good to watch test cricket, because 5 days (well, maybe not in modern times) of toing and froing in each team's favour building up to a final result that can still be so unpredictable. AFL is the same, you never know if a team is going to switch on for a quarter, or a half. Cycling is a classic example. It's so exciting and intreaguing. The drug thing might be there, but somehow it adds to the excitement "who's gonna be found cheating next" lol

Most athletics events don't have this kind of anticipation and thrill. Marathons and long distance running I can stand watching, but the sprints just absolutely **** me up the wall. Fair enough the spectacle of it all when it's on a world stage is quite something, but the actual event itself is kind of an anti-climax.

Of course, this is all opinion, and I'm not attacking things, just providing the side of the argument for those who prefer some sort of lengthy strategic battle for excitement.
Also, I think a lot of people are underestimating just how many cycling fans there are in the world. It's an immensly popular sport that still manages to slip under the radar for most people, maybe just because it's more popular in nations that aren't up the ranks in the more mainstream sports.