• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
*bump*

"You need variation"
Well... no, you don't really. Why, exactly, is 4 crap seamers and 1 crap spinner better than 5 crap seamers? Why do we get "5 seamers is a bad idea because if they're all off their game you have nowhere to go"? Is it really that hard to spot the countless times when your 4 seamers and your 1 spinner is off his game? And is it really too much to ask for people to realise that there's no difference between said situations?

Swervy

International Captain
*bump*

"You need variation"
Well... no, you don't really. Why, exactly, is 4 crap seamers and 1 crap spinner better than 5 crap seamers? Why do we get "5 seamers is a bad idea because if they're all off their game you have nowhere to go"? Is it really that hard to spot the countless times when your 4 seamers and your 1 spinner is off his game? And is it really too much to ask for people to realise that there's no difference between said situations?
have you ever thought of following another sport Richard, you dont seem well suited to cricket..in that you seem to hate everything about it:)

Fiery

Banned
*bump*

"You need variation"
Where did that nonsense spring from Richard? So your latest theory is a bowling attack doesn't need variation?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not latest at all, it's something I've always said.

No, a bowling attack doesn't need variation, it needs calibre. If you've got 3 spinners who're good enough (always bearing in mind that with fingerspinners this changes according to the pitch) then pick 'em. If you've got 5 seamers who are better than all your spinners, pick 'em.

No bull**** about the bush, pick your best bowlers.

Equally, though, don't be fooled into thinking that your best bowlers don't change according to conditions. Some bowlers are good in all conditions - some are princes in certain conditions, paupers in others.

Fiery

Banned
It's not latest at all, it's something I've always said.

No, a bowling attack doesn't need variation, it needs calibre. If you've got 3 spinners who're good enough (always bearing in mind that with fingerspinners this changes according to the pitch) then pick 'em. If you've got 5 seamers who are better than all your spinners, pick 'em.

No bull**** about the bush, pick your best bowlers.

Equally, though, don't be fooled into thinking that your best bowlers don't change according to conditions. Some bowlers are good in all conditions - some are princes in certain conditions, paupers in others.
OK, I think you're underestimating variation a little. I know I hate facing left-arm bowlers for example

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just because you do doesn't mean everyone does! :laugh: Most people love facing crap left-armers every bit as much as crap right-armers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ridiculous argument Richard, of course variety helps a bowling attack. Look at South Africa, who won't be always be held back because they don't have a decent spinner and instead rely on four fast medium bowlers.

pasag

RTDAS
Foxtel

Deserves its own thread really, but looking at the guide and seeing every day of the Test is delayed by 3 or so hours grinds my gears, like perhaps nothing ever before. The reason I'm so mad is I get Foxtel only for the cricket and then they push it off for some rubbish golf tournament. So angry tbh.

Perm

Foxtel

Deserves its own thread really, but looking at the guide and seeing every day of the Test is delayed by 3 or so hours grinds my gears, like perhaps nothing ever before. The reason I'm so mad is I get Foxtel only for the cricket and then they push it off for some rubbish golf tournament. So angry tbh.
TBF if you're talking about the British Open, it's hardly a rubbish golf tournament.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Foxtel

Agreed, freaking pissed me off. Arghh :@.

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Andrew Flintoffs celebrations (lack of) in the Ashes 2005, especially in the Old Trafford test when a batsman edged him, the ball ricocheted off Strauss and Geraint pulled off a beauty of a diving catch off the rebound. Everyone ran upto Geraint to celebrate his excellent relfex catch, and Flintoff just stayed where he was, looking upto the heavens like it was his divine right to have the other players flocking upto him. No you egomaniac, show some respect for a wonderful piece of fielding and try running upto the keeper to congratulate him for crying out loud.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Foxtel

Surely footy is part of it? (the reason you got Foxtel)

Perm

Andrew Flintoffs celebrations (lack of) in the Ashes 2005, especially in the Old Trafford test when a batsman edged him, the ball ricocheted off Strauss and Geraint pulled off a beauty of a diving catch off the rebound. Everyone ran upto Geraint to celebrate his excellent relfex catch, and Flintoff just stayed where he was, looking upto the heavens like it was his divine right to have the other players flocking upto him. No you egomaniac, show some respect for a wonderful piece of fielding and try running upto the keeper to congratulate him for crying out loud.
Fair point, he does look like a bit of a tool when he does that. I don't mind a player being pumped up, but it was a little over the top.