• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ- gutsy overachievers, gormless underachievers, or just kinda average?

The NZ Black Caps are

• Moderately talented overachievers

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Approximately the same level of talent and achievement as most other test nations

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Plenty of talent but generally underachievers

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Talent is something that you are born with, such as having a good eye, getting bounce out of a wicket when you bowl etc. You either have it or you dont.

Shot selection, being able to bowl an outswinger etc are skills that you learn over the years by practice and from other people. As far as I'm concerned there are things you can always improve on.
You can improve the eyes by exercising, too, and you can actually add to the amount of bounce you get by practice too, even while you can't change your height.

All skills and talents are things that can be honed. And I'd not describe height - which can't - as a talent\skill, more a physical feature.

open365

International Vice-Captain
To lable and cricket team that has been playing for as long as New Zealand has as over-achievers is stupid.

Over-achieving is something that you do for a short period of time, it's a slight anomaly or a coincidental good run of form by certain key members of the team which leads to them winning.

I don't think you can over-achieve for any reasonable period of time, if you perform well for a
reasonable period of time that can't be considered a fluke then you're just a good side, if you perform badly, then you're a bad one.

You can only over/under achieve for so long.

open365

You can improve the eyes by exercising, too, and you can actually add to the amount of bounce you get by practice too, even while you can't change your height.

All skills and talents are things that can be honed. And I'd not describe height - which can't - as a talent\skill, more a physical feature.
Talent by definition is something that's inherent, sure you can work on certain talent based skills such as hand eye co-ordination or reflexes but not beyond the bounds of the what you were born with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a peak and a sky to everything. Some things have more that you can do to them, but everything can be improved, and only to a certain extent.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Gutsy overachievers!!

Come on. We have the smallest population of the Test nations, and our sports scence is dominated by stupid ole Rugby.

I think all New Zealanders should be proud of our ability to compete international in a lot of sports. Cricket being one of them.

TH=Dire and overly harsh IMO

Dick Rockett

How odd that a dire pit like Wanganui has spawned such a delightfully positive and realistic bloke :)

No sarcasm intended, btw.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've been there once, when my mother's aunty and uncle lived there. Terrible place. We walked up and down the water tower and... well, that's about all there was to do there.

Dick Rockett

You can also stare out to sea and dream about all the exciting places just over the horizon you could visit if only you had a boat.

Then you can cry.

EDIT: shall we change the thread title to "what sucks about Wanganui"?

thierry henry

International Coach
Gutsy overachievers!!

Come on. We have the smallest population of the Test nations, and our sports scence is dominated by stupid ole Rugby.

I think all New Zealanders should be proud of our ability to compete international in a lot of sports. Cricket being one of them.

TH=Dire and overly harsh IMO

bro....why are you calling me dire and harsh when I voted for the same option you did, agree with everything you just said, and have stated so several times throughout the thread?

:huh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
bro....why are you calling me dire and harsh when I voted for the same option you did, agree with everything you just said, and have stated so several times throughout the thread?

:huh:
Cos I didnt read the thread :D and just made assumptions. :ph34r:

Sorry mate. PEACE

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I've been there once, when my mother's aunty and uncle lived there. Terrible place. We walked up and down the water tower and... well, that's about all there was to do there.
Once too many.

Wanganui does have one of the biggest Warehouse's in NZ.
It has about 5 sets of traffic lights.
A world class veldrome - coolies.
Cooks Gardens - sight of Peter Snell's sub-4min mile.
Home of the Cemetery circuit - coolest named motorcycle circuit in the world.
Um, did i mention Wanganui has one of the biggest Warehouse's in NZ?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I was serious about what a dire pit Wanganui is.
I lived there for 18years and i never realised :huh:

Dire bloke. Biggest idiot.
Yeah, Michael Laws is a complete douchebag. And the Wanganui public are complete douchebags for voting for him.

Just because his ******-novel-writing-partner lived in Wanganui, didnt mean he had to go live there and run for mayor.