• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with the final result?

Do you agree with the final result?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah well said re Jedi. The deflection was a shocking bit of bad luck but stokes apology sums it up. Like a tennis player who apologises after a really jammy shot and the ball nicks the net and drops one inch over it. You can't take it off him no matter how much metal gymnastics you do

This boundary countback rule is too modern, too obscure, too unknown to the fans before 6 hours ago and too damn arbitrary

It could have easily been fewest extras conceded or something bowler focused. But then you're not giving credit to the batsman who hits boundaries

Infinite super overs til a result occurs should have occurred

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Boundaries as a decider have been place for ages haven’t they? It was also clear both sides knew it was the rules.

The Aussie meltdown from the usual suspects is funny to read though...

the big bambino

International Captain
Boundaries as a decider have been place for ages haven’t they? It was also clear both sides knew it was the rules.

My bet is people are simply offering opinions. Trust you to take it personally.

cnerd123

likes this
Honestly I thought it was who hit the most boundaries within the super over itself that won. Completely mis-remembered the rule.

I don't think it's that bad a rule. It favours the side that has a boundary-heavy approach to ODI cricket, which is supposedly more entertaining to the casual fan. It's not an accurate measure of a quality of a team sure, but also it's the 3rd criteria used. No one expects a tied ODI and a tied superover. At this point any method you can use the separate the two teams will be pretty arbitrary and would feel quite shallow.

I'm on board with playing more super overs or giving it who ever is higher on the league table tho.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was honestly really surprised when I found out the super over doesn't just continue if it's tied. It just seems like the logical thing to do.

Cricket is just really stupid sometimes.

trundler

Is a ****, usually ineffectual rule that got brought to the fore at the worst time though. Still stupid.

mr_mister

World cup finals come once every 4 years. You better believe I'm gonna unpack something this unique and interesting

OverratedSanity

I find it a bit odd seeing so many "both teams knew about the rule". Well no ****, obviously they did. The issue isn't that NZ were somehow robbed by the rules, it's that it simply didn't make for a good way to decide the outcome. Just as a spectacle it felt like a very odd climax.

Dumb rules have been in place before and I'm pretty both teams knew about them too. They can and should be changed to be less dumb.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
The rain rule that saw South Africa end on 22 needed in 1 ball for instance.

Unlimited super overs would be fun but eventually if we run out of time there needs to be another differentiator. Should probably go to the higher ranked team in the league tho. Much easier.

mr_mister

Realistically youre pretty unlikely to get second tied super over ha but hell I'd welcome a third and a fourth too.

stephen

Most runs at end of innings
if tied -> most runs in super over
if tied -> whoever won the previous match between the two sides in the tournament
if tied/NR -> whoever finished higher on the table
if tied -> give it to Australia, where it rightfully belongs.

stephen

Forgot about the reserve day.

Should just play another game on the reserve day and the winner of that wins.

This will be known as the "physical and psychological torture rule".

Last edited:

stephen

2010 AFL grand final

how bad was that
I'm sorry I don't follow AFL. Except for a period of 4 years in the early 00s.

Rugby League all the way.

But I don't watch any football on a regular basis as I don't like what it does to my emotions. I always would much rather be out there playing (doesn't matter which code TBH). Which is bad because I'd get utterly smashed by even semi serious footballers.