• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Positive reaction to Twenty20/Pro20 style Cricket in South Africa.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Are you from Gauteng jot?
Yup, but was visiting in Bloemies so saw the Eagles/WPB match. Don't know about last seasons crowds, but in spite of the cold last night, the grounds were pretty well filled.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
I guess im just a purist.

Im not so sure. Run rates in Test cricket are much higher than they were 50 years ago. Bowling strike rates are better, too. Much like one-day cricket. 50 years ago it was possible for a world-class bowler to go for less than 2 an over (ie Alan Davidson, Bill O'Reilly), now the best in the world is around 2.3 (Pollock, Murali). Furthermore, take a look at the strike-rate of Shoaib or Bond. You would never find that 50 years ago. Clearly, the invention of one-day cricket has increased the positivity of batting.

This in itself is not a bad thing. I, however, feel that 20/20 cricket might have a damaging effect encouraging the production of mindless sloggers like Afridi, who just belt everything they can reach, irrespective of the quality of the bowling. This could threaten the existence of genuinely great proper Test players like Dravid or Barrington.

The people that go and watch 20/20 cricket and no other type of the game, are not cricket fans, they are almost all working class thrill seakers. If these type of people become the main cricket fan-base, this great game will lose the status it once had, and become football's little bunny.

Sorry if I sound like an old man :wub:
tut tut..you make it sound like its a bad thing being working class

(I have a strong sense of deja vu going on here)